Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change Your Flight for Exclusive Rewards! (Nominal Travel Credit)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Your Flight for Exclusive Rewards! (Nominal Travel Credit)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Got a $95 offer to change 11/19 SFO-BOS to 11/21 or 11/22 (which I can't do as my timeline is fairly fixed), ironically I would have saved $120 by cancelling and rebooking on 11/21 or $149 for 11/22. Super useless offer.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
AS is offering us a whopping $45 to switch our outbound flight to Mexico for the holidays. Depending on the date of purchase these flights retailed for $600-900 one-way.

As Johnny Mac would say "you cannot be serious!" Nobody is going to blow up their vacation to switch to another flight and spread their family around in empty middle seats.

If AS is over-booked they need to start at $500 + preferred seating. Or maybe vouchers for a free flight. $45 ain't gonna cut it.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by trektheusa
Although I'm late to the party, I would think that getting any incentive to change a flight in advance would be better than having your flight cancelled and getting no incentive as well as being rebooked automatically. I may have taken a same day change but probably not an alternate date
if I had to guess, these offers appear to be proactive attempts to alleviate potential overbooking situations rather than cancellations
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
These seem so silly though. A few weeks ago when leaving Maui I got one offering us each a whopping $25 to fly the next day. I’m sure Alaska airlines knows it costs half a monthly mortgage payment for a last minute overnight in a hotel + an additional car rental day. I’ve had a couple since, but never over $75. Pre-Covid and after the FAA rule changes I cashed in on a few that were much higher with $1,350 and $1,750 each of us but these were at the gate and NOT proactive.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
if I had to guess, these offers appear to be proactive attempts to alleviate potential overbooking situations rather than cancellations
Yep, but more of a rebalancing based on the ticket holder's travel urgency rather than overbooking prevention. Though maybe that's just two ways to describe the same thing.

Originally Posted by dc333
This looks to be the program in more detail. https://simpleflying.com/alaska-airl...ting-millions/

Seeking confirmed travelers on high-demand flights to move to those less popular, specifically to resell the popular seat close-in. Not necessarily overbooked and needing people off, which explains flights continuing to sell. I'm guessing moving the early -booked leisure traveler hoping to sell to business travelers close in is the bread and butter.

Seems like it could be a win-win if the traveler has any desire to change flights already and now can avoid any difference in fare.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by jrl767
One of the flights where I got one of these borderline offensive offers ended up with 15+ empty seats, including some empty EC seats. The rest have all ended up with a few empties in the back.

It might be that people are taking these offers to move to favorable (for them) flights, but so far Alaska is batting 1.000 with offering me comically bad changes. The latest was $25 to change a SEA-FLL flight (where I have EC seats booked) to either a day earlier (extra $200 hotel) or take a redeye where the only open seats are row 15. There are at least 4 open seats on all 3 of these particular flights (and the one they're offering me out of is not the most booked). The whole thing is strange and, as mentioned, borderline offensive in terms of the incentive being offered to have a worse travel experience.
leroix likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
A week ago, Southwest phoned me and gave me $400 to switch to any different flight I wanted: Advance request VDB
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by nsx
A week ago, Southwest phoned me and gave me $400 to switch to any different flight I wanted: Advance request VDB
yeah, these emails go directly to delete unless at least $100. It’s actually funny that the flights they often offer me for $25 were up to $100 lower in cost when I booked the flight.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Got a $95 offer to change 11/19 SFO-BOS to 11/21 or 11/22 (which I can't do as my timeline is fairly fixed), ironically I would have saved $120 by cancelling and rebooking on 11/21 or $149 for 11/22. Super useless offer.
Shame you couldn't have moved to the new dates. You could have taken them up on the $95 credit, then cancel and rebook if there was still a price difference.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Shame you couldn't have moved to the new dates. You could have taken them up on the $95 credit, then cancel and rebook if there was still a price difference.
In retrospect, the game I should have played was book a second SFO-BOS reservation (which was going at the same price as what I booked it for), then moved and cancelled the original reservation for $95 credit.

In other news, the price on my existing reservation dropped $50, so that was an easy cancel/rebook to save money.
nsx likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
In retrospect, the game I should have played was book a second SFO-BOS reservation (which was going at the same price as what I booked it for), then moved and cancelled the original reservation for $95 credit.

In other news, the price on my existing reservation dropped $50, so that was an easy cancel/rebook to save money.

im note sure you get the credit if canceled before receiving credit.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
im note sure you get the credit if canceled before receiving credit.
$95 offer expired, so I couldn't take that - this was just a separate cancel/rebook.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: Gold 75K
My boyfriend just got offered a paltry $25 to switch a 12/6/2022 flight from PVR to SEA. Ironically, I'm on the same flight, different PNR, and did not get the offer. He's on a mileage ticket, I'm on a cash ticket.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:30 am

Got offered $75 today to switch (on my return) to a flight three days later. Won't be taking that one.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Received an offer this morning to receive $55 to change an LAX/SFO next week for a day or two days later - and AS is still selling "only 3 left" for $400 each on the same flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.