Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA pre-check experience at PAE?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:05 am
Original Poster

TSA pre-check experience at PAE?

Trying to decide between booking an AS flight from PAE or SEA — a big factor for me is the security experience. I know smaller airports often have a modified pre-check experience. Does anyone know if pre-check passengers will still need to remove liquids, laptops, shoes, etc.? Or will it be like the normal pre-check experience where you just put your bag through the scanner, walk through a metal detector, and that's it?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Originally Posted by lamorindaflyer
Trying to decide between booking an AS flight from PAE or SEA — a big factor for me is the security experience. I know smaller airports often have a modified pre-check experience. Does anyone know if pre-check passengers will still need to remove liquids, laptops, shoes, etc.? Or will it be like the normal pre-check experience where you just put your bag through the scanner, walk through a metal detector, and that's it?
There is no tsa precheck at Paine field. There are no long lines at security and once through, it is just 50 steps to the gate. It takes less than 5 minutes on average to get through security to the gate from my experience.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
There is no tsa precheck at Paine field. There are no long lines at security and once through, it is just 50 steps to the gate. It takes less than 5 minutes on average to get through security to the gate from my experience.
Unless something's changed since March, this isn't accurate.

There is a TSA Pre line, it's the same line as the Known Crewmember line. You skip the regular queue and the officer will give you a colored post-it note that lets you keep your shoes on and use the WTMD instead of the scanner.
Seattlenerd likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Kamiakdad sullim4 thanks for the insights!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4

There is a TSA Pre line, it's the same line as the Known Crewmember line. You skip the regular queue and the officer will give you a colored post-it note that lets you keep your shoes on and use the WTMD instead of the scanner.
According to the KCM website, there isn't a Known Crew Member line at PAE. It wouldn't seem to make sense as there are just 12 flights a day there and maybe three to four crews passing through security at all.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
According to the KCM website, there isn't a Known Crew Member line at PAE. It wouldn't seem to make sense as there are just 12 flights a day there and maybe three to four crews passing through security at all.
That is interesting. Like I mentioned, I was last at PAE this past March. At the time, there was a single sign indicating that KCM and TSA Pre were to go to the left of the regular queue and skip the line. I was confused because I've never seen TSA Pre and KCM be the same line... and I didn't want to be yelled at for going into the wrong line. I took the chance and the TSO said the line served both purposes. Maybe it's a new-ish thing.

One thing to note - now that they have started flying mainline 737s out of there, the security lines have gotten longer and the terminal quite crowded. I could see them wanting this if they have a late arriving crewmember.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:20 pm

I got a little card with precheck on it and didn’t have to take off shoes. Same line for both like when they close dedicated precheck lines elsewhere.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Pre check was similar to GEG and PSC - but fewer passengers to bog down the line. I would fly every AS flight from PAE if I could, even without clear and lounge. From gate to my car in less than 5 minutes.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://flypainefield.com/about/security

We are able to offer up to two TSA Pre✓® lanes at any given time depending on the demand. TSA and the airlines operating from the terminal will coordinate on a continual basis about the anticipated flow of TSA Pre✓® travelers, and have the ability to open and close lanes for TSA Pre✓® to ensure the most expeditious use of the security lines. For those passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® screening, please look for the queue with that designation; if it doesn’t appear to be available, please present yourself to a TSA employee as they may be able to expedite your passage.
Having said that I have never flown out of PAE with fully dedicated PreCheck screening in operation. They always have a dedicated PreCheck line for ID verification leading up to an ID verification person shared with regular passengers. After that you get a slip of paper and sent into the same flow for screening as everyone else.

Even so you still get through to your gate in like 5 minutes from when you enter the airport.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:12 am

That is interesting. Like I mentioned, I was last at PAE this past March. At the time, there was a single sign indicating that KCM and TSA Pre were to go to the left of the regular queue and skip the line. I was confused because I've never seen TSA Pre and KCM be the same line... and I didn't want to be yelled at for going into the wrong line. I took the chance and the TSO said the line served both purposes. Maybe it's a new-ish thing.

One thing to note - now that they have started flying mainline 737s out of there, the security lines have gotten longer and the terminal quite crowded. I could see them wanting this if they have a late arriving crewmember.
with a couple exceptions most of the crews are just turning there - they have one AS overnight crew and a few on QX. All total, a KCM line would never see more 12-16 crew in a day.
missamo80 and sullim4 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

True. Just flew out of PAE yesterday abt 5pm. Pre-ck has it's own line but their was only 1 TSA agent so she alternated taking people from each line. Our line was pretty short but the main had 20++ people in it. We waited < 5 min.

Anyone know why there are so many old, green, aircraft sitting around?

Last edited by philemer; Jun 13, 2022 at 11:07 am
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
iirc the green is a factory finish that protects the bare metal before the jet goes into the paint hangar ... Boeing obviously built a lot of jets for customers who cancelled orders over the past couple years; they typically paint some in a neutral white (typically referred to as "white tails") and leave some in "green"
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by philemer
Anyone know why there are so many old, green, aircraft sitting around?
Not old; they’re brand new. Prior to their first paint, airplanes are coated in zinc chromate (green color) to prevent aluminum corrosion. Paine, being home to one of Boeing’s factories, has a ton of planes waiting for final assembly and delivery.
philemer and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Here is a new MAX with the "green coat" just outside the PAE terminal in June, 2019.

Boeing 737 MAX at PAE June 29, 2019

James
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:02 pm

Egregiously OT, but...

Fun fact I learned while on the Boeing Everett factory tour. Rudders have to be so precisely balanced that they are painted prior to assembly. So on the factory floor you see all these generic green fuselages with spanking airline-livery-painted tails. Looks funny.
Arsene Wenger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.