Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Flying out of SEA for a positioning flight - is AS still the way to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying out of SEA for a positioning flight - is AS still the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If it is a connected ticket then you don't need to worry, and you must take the first flight in the reservation to be able to fly the second segment. So if for some reason your first segment is cancelled you'll need to ask an agent in ANC airport to put you on the next flight to seattle under the same reservation, you can't just book a different ticket and take that.
That's what I assumed, but my worry is the next flight will be full if it's a last minute cancellation. It's definitely unsettling.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aliquot
if your AS flight is canceled AS will rebook you to KEF. You paid for trsportation from ANC-KEF. AS will honor that. (It gets a little more complicated with advance shedule changes).

If you buy your own ticket to get to SEA your entire reservation will be canceled.
Unless you cancel the ANC-SEA segment on the award ticket before departure. Then you are on your own to get to SEA which will then be the start of the award.

James
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
That's what I assumed, but my worry is the next flight will be full if it's a last minute cancellation. It's definitely unsettling.
They still owe you a trip to KEF. They're going to be pretty motivated to get you there, in theory there's potential cash compensation and duty of care involved.

Suggest you read post #11 onward in this thread if you're opting for the DL miles ticket as a backup.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for chiming in and enlightening me about all of the options and ways to play this. I didn't realize that I only had 5 posts/24 hrs so I wasn't able to respond to everyone... and I just learned about multi reply now heh

Originally Posted by jrl767
wrt “fly in the day before” — I’d have no problem booking SEA-LAX at a civilized late-morning or early afternoon hour for that 2230 departure

AS to TBIT is an entirely airside walk (~20 min) whereas DL to TBIT involves either a bus or re-clearing security after a ~10-minute walk
Yeah that's where I'm conflicted - arriving at a civilized last morning and then staying in a lounge is definitely something that I considered. Unfortunately, I'll have a checked bag which complicates things a bit... Is there such thing as checking in a bag "too early" or going through security "too early"? I'd hate to stay landside because I "arrived too early for my 2230 departure".

Originally Posted by IggySD
If it’s time sensitive then I would absolutely go the day before. The stress of worrying about making your connecting flight is not fun even if it does end up working out 95% of the time. No idea of your financial situation but there are a lot of airport hotels so prices are usually reasonable ($100-200). There are also credit cards with sub $100 annual fees that come with a free night that could be useful if there is some event going on and hotel prices are high. It leaves with a day to waste since your flight leaves so late but being bored is probably better than being stressed. And for some reason people rave about the In N Out so you could go there and be disappointed in how it’s just not good food.
Yeah this is what I'm leaning towards... I also won't be flying alone and would hate to inflict any stress on those with me. My risk tolerance for more sophisticated strategies and/or running through an airport trying to make a tight connection is much higher when I'm going solo haha. Can you tell me more about the free nights from a credit card? I have the CSR and would love to take better advantage of it! Hahaha I used to live in CA and while In N Out's burgers are pretty good for fast food burgers, I can say that their fries are the worst fries I've ever tasted. They have the consistency of styrofoam and the aftertaste of cardboard. And no, getting them "well done" does not help hahaha

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Can’t get on the SEA-SIN nonstop?
Unfortunately not.. going to be meeting up with a group in LAX and also, the tickets out of SEA were much more expensive than from LAX when I looked. :\

Originally Posted by djp98374
if you have miles with any airline…even united, American, southwest….book in points/ miles a back up ticket because you can cancel last minute and not deal with having expiring fare from the day you bought it.

the other option is booking a fully refundable ticket as a back up on a different airline than the primary one. You book a non refundable one thrn the funds lady only 1 year from purchase date.

buying a ticket now fora December flight….unless it’s over Christmas/ New Years weeks like from the 16th- early January….you can wait till you book the refundable ticket till the prices are lower. If it’s the end of de ember book it now before fares increase
Thanks for the tips! This will be for a flight for early December that comes back during that late December holiday period so I'm starting to monitor prices now
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by missnooni
… I'll have a checked bag which complicates things a bit... Is there such thing as checking in a bag "too early" or going through security "too early"? I'd hate to stay landside because I "arrived too early for my 2230 departure".
I’m not sure if AS would check a bag thru to SQ on a separate ticket if the SQ flight wasn’t booked w AS miles, but I’m quite sure that someone will weigh in with the voice of either experience or authority

my intuition says that UA would probably check through onto a separate ticket on another *A carrier, but again that’s entirely speculative
missnooni likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:28 pm

I’m not sure if AS would check a bag thru to SQ on a separate ticket if the SQ flight wasn’t booked w AS miles, but I’m quite sure that someone will weigh in with the voice of either experience or authority

my intuition says that UA would probably check through onto a separate ticket on another *A carrier, but again that’s entirely speculative
They will check through to any airline they have an interline agrmment with (which is almost every non LCCthat flies to the U.S.) on separate tickets,
missnooni likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will so long as the connection is less than 12 hr. AS has one if the most liberal policies of checking bags through to partner flights. They will most likely follow the baggage allowances/fees on the SQ ticket though.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

This is correct. Note that it must be a *A partner though (which is not an issue in this case)
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They will so long as the connection is less than 12 hr. AS has one if the most liberal policies of checking bags through to partner flights. They will most likely follow the baggage allowances/fees on the SQ ticket though.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

This is correct. Note that it must be a *A partner though (which is not an issue in this case)
Wow! That's awesome - thanks so much! Do you happen to know if SQ will do the same for AS? Their site says "If your itinerary is booked on separate tickets, the baggage allowance printed on each ticket will apply." but I'm not sure if they're just giving general information or that they'll actually check it through for you in accordance to the policies for a particular ticket.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missnooni
Wow! That's awesome - thanks so much! Do you happen to know if SQ will do the same for AS? Their site says "If your itinerary is booked on separate tickets, the baggage allowance printed on each ticket will apply." but I'm not sure if they're just giving general information or that they'll actually check it through for you in accordance to the policies for a particular ticket.
I'm not sure but I'm sure that people on the SQ forum know very well. Without more context, it's possible that else you quoted from the website is referring to multi-ticket itineraries where everything is on SQ.

BTW, if you ever fly AA, they are the absolute worst for this -- the complete opposite of AS. They will not check your bags through on separate tickets no matter what, even if both flights are on AA. In general I like AA but this is one area where they really drop the ball IMO.
flymonthly and missnooni like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.