Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[No Luck] Trying to Create Mileage Plan Account for Child

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to create a mileage plan account and claim flown miles for my 2 year old, which according to the website has to be done over the phone.

But every time I call the customer care line, the stated wait time is anywhere from 2 to 9 hours. It is insane to expect someone to wait on hold for that long. In fact last time we narrowly missed getting screwed on a family vacation to KOA.

What do they expect me to do here? Is Alaska just going to destroy the reputation they've built over 20 years in these few short months?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Try calling 10A-2P ET on a weekday.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K
A more appropriate thread title would be a complaint about phone wait times. Whatever business you need to transact once you get through is secondary.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Perhaps email them at [email protected]

and explain that you (no one) can’t wait in the phone queue for nine hours, that you understand their short staffing and know they are working as hard as they can, and offer to provide the relevant information via email.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I am not sure if this may help you, but it did for me. I was on the same boat as you to register my kids for MP accounts, and kept postponing it due to long wait times on the phone. On my recent travel I was at the AS lounge in PDX, and thought I would ask the lounge staff the best way to get this done. Lo and behold it took them 5 minutes to set them both up with accounts - Wow not sure hy I did not think of this option. If lounge access is not an option, guest services at one of the hubs may also be able to help - maybe on your next trip ?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Maybe it's due to my status, but the last 3-4 times I've called AS, my wait time has been less than 2 minutes. I'm only Gold, but it seems to help immensely. Granted, last time I called was on Memorial Day.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
It's all related to COPPA - The "Child Online Privacy Protection Act". Unless they are over 13 most companies simply do not allow you do to anything with your children's data online. Healthcare was excepted as they already have HIPAA. This really isn't Alaska being dumb, it's more about trying to comply with regulations that had good intentions and were written poorly.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
It's all related to COPPA - The "Child Online Privacy Protection Act". Unless they are over 13 most companies simply do not allow you do to anything with your children's data online. Healthcare was excepted as they already have HIPAA. This really isn't Alaska being dumb, it's more about trying to comply with regulations that had good intentions and were written poorly.
Other airlines don't seem to have a problem with letting parents sign up their kids online.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...e%20under%2018.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loharry
I am not sure if this may help you, but it did for me. I was on the same boat as you to register my kids for MP accounts, and kept postponing it due to long wait times on the phone. On my recent travel I was at the AS lounge in PDX, and thought I would ask the lounge staff the best way to get this done. Lo and behold it took them 5 minutes to set them both up with accounts - Wow not sure hy I did not think of this option. If lounge access is not an option, guest services at one of the hubs may also be able to help - maybe on your next trip ?
FWIW, I had asked the staff at the SEA flagship lounge exactly this and they did not seem to have any idea how to do it, and told me to go to the guest services desk downstairs. At this desk, they also had no idea and gave me some paper form to fill out with a pre-filled number, and I have no idea if that worked.

I am now calling on the phone to see if anything happened and if I need to start over.

EDIT: the paper form did nothing: I had to create a new account over the phone. But on Sundays they don't have permission to create an online login for the child so I have to call back another day. Just all sorts of mess.

Last edited by mizzao; Jul 10, 2022 at 7:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.