Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$160 comp for downgrade F to Y ?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
$160 comp for downgrade F to Y ?

My friend's wife was flying home from the east coast and her Sunday flight was cancelled. She was rebooked on a Saturday flight (losing a day which she accepted) but they put her in coach without offering to wait for an F cabin or checking AA, their oneworld partner. She had to argue to waive the checked baggage fees, which they did, but after the flight they offered her $160 compensation for the downgrade. I don't know exactly what she paid for her ticket but I'm sure the Y to F difference was more than that.

Does she have any recourse for additional compensation, more in line with the fare difference or anything, now that she flew?
Old May 24, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
My friend's wife was flying home from the east coast and her Sunday flight was cancelled. She was rebooked on a Saturday flight (losing a day which she accepted) but they put her in coach without offering to wait for an F cabin or checking AA, their oneworld partner. She had to argue to waive the checked baggage fees, which they did, but after the flight they offered her $160 compensation for the downgrade. I don't know exactly what she paid for her ticket but I'm sure the Y to F difference was more than that.

Does she have any recourse for additional compensation, more in line with the fare difference or anything, now that she flew?
She is entitled to the fare difference between what she paid and the cheapest economy ticket.

Many airlines will try to rip her off and give her the difference between what she paid and the price of Y when they rebooked her. I really wish the DOT would crack down on this but I guess people don't complain to them about it enough. She should request the price difference at the time she originally booked.

And, it's not "compensation", it's a refund of the difference between what she paid for and what she got. Additional compensation would be nice but it's not required.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
She is entitled to the fare difference between what she paid and the cheapest economy ticket.
Available at the time of ticketing (obviously).
Old May 24, 2022, 4:45 pm

This is why I always screen shot the prices when I book F or PC and get bumped into lower cabin.
985X and lalala like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: ba silver
Unfortunate most passengers who are likely to be downgraded might not have status and most likely will not think to take screen shots.

What I try to do is price out in coach, when possible, and buy the ticket. Then I can simply upfare in most cases. Two separate transactions. If I get downgraded I can simply do a chargeback on the upfare as I paid $ XXX to move from economy to business and that was not honored in the end. Very simple.

Better yet though what is needed is a law that requires airlines to rebook on the next available flight, including other airlines, in the passenger's
ticketed cabin. Everyone is happy. The customer gets what is paid for and the airline doesn't have to refund anything.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But when flights get cancelled, other flights can get quite full and any seat at all can be hard to come by, which is why many people accept downgrades in that case. If you are willing to wait for a flight with an available F seat you will be reaccomodated in F. But if there are not many flights on that route, that can take days.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:48 am

The price difference between Y and F is 3x to 6x
Old May 25, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
That's a pretty blanket statement. Not on my routes.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by flytoeat
That's a pretty blanket statement. Not on my routes.
Mine either, mine are usually far less than 2x.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Mine either, mine are usually far less than 2x.
You are talking about 2 class flights, right?
Old May 26, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
You are talking about 2 class flights, right?
This thread is about F vs Y pricing on AS, what else would I be talking about?
flytoeat likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This thread is about F vs Y pricing on AS, what else would I be talking about?
According to AS, Premium is a class
Old May 26, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103

There are too many unknowns and assumptions. If we knew the route, fare class, fare code and original date of purchase, historical fares will help determine a differential. While it is easy to look up the historical data, what we don't know was what fare buckets were available when the ticket was purchased. Only higher economy fares might have been available when the F ticket was purchased. AS would have that data. Furthermore, each fare bucket can have multiple fares depending on advance purchase requirements.

Did the friends wife ask AS how they arrived at the $160 figure? It may actually be the fare difference.

On many AS routes, F fares are y-up fares. The underlying fare class is an economy fare bucket that books into the F cabin, usually as an I fare & dual inventory is required. Dual inventory means that there must be an I fare available in First to go along with an available economy fare class in the y-up bucket.

This is why you will sometimes see eligible economy fares for immediate upgrade to F (space available) price higher than just purchasing F. The underlying economy y-up bucket is lower than the eligible fare class by Elite status. An MVPG purchasing a K fare is eligible for immediate upgrade with U availability but a Q fare class y-up will be cheaper. It is 6 fare buckets below K. It is also below N which is the minimum fare class that a GGU can be applied to.

There are a lot of moving parts. Without knowing the route, how far in advance the ticket was purchased, the fare class, underlying fare code and inventory availability, it isn't so cut & dried to say the fare difference should be more than $160.

I would suggest having the party call AS and discuss it.

James
Old May 26, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
There are too many unknowns and assumptions. If we knew the route, fare class, fare code and original date of purchase, historical fares will help determine a differential. While it is easy to look up the historical data, what we don't know was what fare buckets were available when the ticket was purchased. Only higher economy fares might have been available when the F ticket was purchased. AS would have that data. Furthermore, each fare bucket can have multiple fares depending on advance purchase requirements.

Did the friends wife ask AS how they arrived at the $160 figure? It may actually be the fare difference.

On many AS routes, F fares are y-up fares. The underlying fare class is an economy fare bucket that books into the F cabin, usually as an I fare & dual inventory is required. Dual inventory means that there must be an I fare available in First to go along with an available economy fare class in the y-up bucket.

This is why you will sometimes see eligible economy fares for immediate upgrade to F (space available) price higher than just purchasing F. The underlying economy y-up bucket is lower than the eligible fare class by Elite status. An MVPG purchasing a K fare is eligible for immediate upgrade with U availability but a Q fare class y-up will be cheaper. It is 6 fare buckets below K. It is also below N which is the minimum fare class that a GGU can be applied to.

There are a lot of moving parts. Without knowing the route, how far in advance the ticket was purchased, the fare class, underlying fare code and inventory availability, it isn't so cut & dried to say the fare difference should be more than $160.

I would suggest having the party call AS and discuss it.

James
This is all irrelevant. They are entitled to the fare difference between the cheapest economy ticket and what they paid. Whether the underlying fare basis is economy or not doesn't matter. It was sold as a first class ticket on the website (regardless of fare basis) and they were accommodated in economy.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Knowing the underlying fare basis would help to establish a minimum amount for the fare difference that is due to the OP. There might have been cheaper coach fares available when the ticket was purchased that didn't have (available) associated Y-UP fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.