AS Pilots Authorize Strike

Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The AAL flight attendants struck in November 1993.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Based on the reports of people earning thousands of EQMs for cancelled flights, it would likely be easier to earn 75K if there were a strike. I would have no problem booking an AS flight now or anytime in the future.
I’d be happy to book some couch runs
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The AAL flight attendants struck in November 1993.
PMNW had a pilots' strike in late August/early September 1998.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:01 pm

From the OPs linked article:

The council’s vote to allow the union to strike can occur once all other means of contract negotiations are exhausted. The voting period will take place from May 9 until May 25.

https://mynorthwest.com/3450946/pilo...aska-airlines/
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
rubs hands with glee - looks like it's time to buy a MR in the hopes for a strike, and wait for another "We're sorry to let you down, here's some EQM as compensation" email
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'll cut some slack here in that for two of the years, it was wise not to commit to long term of anything. If I were say, a Vegas gambler (note the small "g") I'd say better than even odds of no strike.
Agreed. Although, I would add that even a 10-20% chance of a strike happening is pretty significant.

Those of us that are expert MRers have a point in that this could be a major EQM bonanza.

However, those of us that have flights booked this summer where we need to be in X city by Y time and rely on AS to do the job should proceed with caution. I don't know if it's time to have backup plans, but I would say it's definitely wise to pay attention to what's going on here.
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I don’t get the feeling pilots leaving is to the long-term financial benefit of the company which staff well-being translates into.

Maybe Alaska hasn’t picked up on that “unionized nursing homes weren’t just more likely to keep your loved one safe over the past two years: They were also more likely to keep the staff safe, too.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...me-11650919890
flyingmusicianlax likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
A strike will not happen shortly after the strike vote is tallied.

Airline labor relations are governed by the Railway Labor Act (RLA). The RLA's goal is to prevent disruptions (strikes or lockouts) in the nation's transportation systems. The RLA prohibits strikes and lockouts until a long list of events happen; the strike vote being only one item on the list.

Before a strike/lockout can occur, both parties must engage in mediation, under the National Mediation Board (NMB), until the mediator believes that an impasse has been reached. When the NMB declares negotiations at an impasse a 30-day cooling off period is started, during which status quo must be maintained. As the end of the cooling off period nears, the NMB will call both parties back into negotiations and this is where many agreements are reached. If the 30-day cooling off period expires without an agreement, both sides are released and can then engage in self-help (strike or lockout). If a strike or lockout is called, the POTUS can order the parties to maintain status quo for another 30 days and create a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB).

President Clinton stopped the AAL pilot's strike in the early 1990s by appointing a PEB.

So, if there's a strike, it could still be many months away.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:43 am

If they do strike, I'll want an extension on the ridiculous amount of wallet cash I'm holding and trying to use.

How can they expire this when they cancel flights or can't run an airline? What is the problem here? I think it's all still back to the moronic catch and kill purchase of Virgin which did nothing for them.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:02 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

In this economic and political environment, a strike would be stopped before it would start.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
I think it's all still back to the moronic catch and kill purchase of Virgin which did nothing for them.
Is there something similar to Godwin’s law for this forum?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I think there is significant low probability that an actual strike will occur, knowing pilots shortage worldwide. Pilots have an advantage.

Jiburi
Old Apr 29, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jiburi
I think there is significant low probability that an actual strike will occur, knowing pilots shortage worldwide. Pilots have an advantage.
A strike would not impact very much of the country so it is still a possibility. It is not like national commerce would come to a halt if AS stopped flying.

It is to AS’s management advantage to up the pay and work rule standards to as close to the big legacies as possible and just be done with it. The longer it drags on the more other airlines will increase their pay putting AS even further behind. The only question is whether or not management will finally face this reality.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The thread title is incorrect as of its origination date. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. A strike has not yet been voted on nor has it been authorized. At the earliest, authorization would not occur until sometime in late May. Only then would the procedural steps mentioned in this thread would then be performed. For the time being, as of today - 29 April 2022, the title should state "AS Pilots Schedule Vote to Authorize Strike".
Calculon, CalanMan, ft543 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this affects mainline only or also QX/OO?
PotomacApproach likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.