Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What happens to existing status after April 30?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens to existing status after April 30?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Question What happens to existing status after April 30?

AS has told us what each level must accomplish between Jan 1 and Apr 30 2022 to maintain its current level:
  • MVP: fly 5,000 miles
  • MVP Gold: fly 10,000 miles
  • MVP Gold 75K: fly 20,000 miles
I ended 2019 at MVPG75K which AS kindly preserved for me all during 2020 and 2021. I flew a few times during the second half of 2021.

In 2022 I've flown only 9,363 qualifying miles. I expect to earn about 2,800 more this week, which increases my total to just above 12,000. Will AS reduce my status to MVPG, or will they remove my status completely until I reach 20,000 qualifying miles and then grant only MVP?

Can't find any details about these sorts of situations.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33806236-post81.html

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de.../status-boost/
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
The great culling.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Sigh, confirms my suspicion. They should at least let those of us "caught in the middle," as it were, to downgrade status.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by stvrly
Sigh, confirms my suspicion. They should at least let those of us "caught in the middle," as it were, to downgrade status.
I'd probably feel the same way in your shoes but realize we're well into the third year of you not qualifying.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
This MVP 75K flew 15K and expects nothing at all. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'd probably feel the same way in your shoes but realize we're well into the third year of you not qualifying.
Whereupon this song came into my head, and probably won't leave it all day ... now, all together:

Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Whereupon this song came into my head, and probably won't leave it all day ... now, all together:
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:48 am

I called today to ask about how far I am with the fast track to elite that's ending on April 30. The agent let me know that there is another opportunity that is going to start on May 1 - which will also run for 90 days and has same flying requirements but only on AS metal. She offered to take my MP number and phone number and call on May 1 to register me to it.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
A CSR I spoke to last week actually told me differently - they stated that I'd drop down to MVP (I have Gold right now, but only 7800 miles).

I guess we'll see in a few days?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by amnesiak
A CSR I spoke to last week actually told me differently - they stated that I'd drop down to MVP
Not an unreasonable interpretation (emphasis mine). Just depends on how "keep" is defined. I am one r/t from satisfying the 75K hurdle (and AS metal requirement) and am on the fence still.

This offer may not be used to achieve a higher status than the one held on January 1, 2021. In order to keep MVP status beyond April 30, 2022, you must earn 5,000 base miles from flights; in order to keep MVP Gold status, you must earn 10,000 base miles; and in order to keep MVP Gold 75K status, you must earn 20,000 base miles between January 1 and April 30, 2022.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 26, 2022 at 12:39 pm Reason: cl
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: MVPG75, Club 49, OWE, Hilton, Bonvoy, Enterprise Plus, MGM, AA, BA
On a side note, how were we impacted by FF's from other airlines, using their elite status', to steal our upgrade seats?

I say that with a grin, and it took me awhile to work my way up, the BIS old school way. I was quite grateful to have MVPG extended a year in 2020, before I got after it again. Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
it's interesting there might be a soft landing, i just took an SFO<>SAN immediate turn around to keep MVPG for the year under the assumption it was gold or nothing. given I won't maintain MVPG next year I might just not have taken the trip if that was the case, but I guess the guest upgrades are nice...
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Smile

Originally Posted by amnesiak
A CSR I spoke to last week actually told me differently - they stated that I'd drop down to MVP (I have Gold right now, but only 7800 miles).

I guess we'll see in a few days?
I agree with this statement since the CSR I talked to said the same thing as well, You just couldnt upgrade to the next level if you never had it to begin with.

Meanwhile, anyone have their flight cancelled recently? I had my flight cancelled last week but I got an email (which seemed like it was a mass-produced one) from the CCO saying "we're sorry but we still love you so here's 7500 tier qualifying points (and they'll be posted by May 1st supposedly). I did cartwheels as I saw this since that would push me above 20k (to keep 75k until the end of the year).

On top of that, they credited me the tier-qualifying mileage for that flight, too (!) - but you have to actually submit a complaint for that.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by su9062
I called today to ask about how far I am with the fast track to elite that's ending on April 30. The agent let me know that there is another opportunity that is going to start on May 1 - which will also run for 90 days and has same flying requirements but only on AS metal. She offered to take my MP number and phone number and call on May 1 to register me to it.
Interesting! Please update with details when available. I have a daughter based in London who is distraught about losing her secret entrance (OWE) but is coming home for the summer - two trips to hawaii on AS may be in her future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.