Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA domestic awards?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:59 am
Original Poster

BA domestic awards?

Does anyone know if it's possible to book a BA domestic award using Mileage Plan miles? I can book INV-LHR-USA, but I can't see availability for the same INV-LHR alone.

I though this might be a "route doesn't touch North America" issue, but I can book an LHR-EU award (though again, not INV-LHR-EU).

Is this expected behavior, or something strange?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Award chart for Europe-Europe does not list BA, just EI, AY and IB. BA has never been bookable for intra-Europe awards IME.

Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Award chart for Europe-Europe does not list BA, just EI, AY and IB. BA has never been bookable for intra-Europe awards IME.
Originally Posted by jamespvg
Does anyone know if it's possible to book a BA domestic award using Mileage Plan miles? I can book INV-LHR-USA, but I can't see availability for the same INV-LHR alone.

I though this might be a "route doesn't touch North America" issue, but I can book an LHR-EU award (though again, not INV-LHR-EU).
Bolding mine. It seems that European awards exist on BA with AS miles.

Op. Do you have any points you can transfer to BA? BA lists such flights at 9250 Avios + $ 1.00 in Y (or 4750 Avios + $35) and 15000 Avios + $ 1.00 (or 8500 Avios and $41) for me. But what it offers you may depend on your account if you have earned avios within the last year.
Though I am not sure using miles/avios for such a flight is worth it. But that's a personal decision.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Bolding mine. It seems that European awards exist on BA with AS miles.

Op. Do you have any points you can transfer to BA? BA lists such flights at 9250 Avios + $ 1.00 in Y (or 4750 Avios + $35) and 15000 Avios + $ 1.00 (or 8500 Avios and $41) for me. But what it offers you may depend on your account if you have earned avios within the last year.
Though I am not sure using miles/avios for such a flight is worth it. But that's a personal decision.
IB, EI and AY all fly to LHR (they don’t fly to INV), so therefore AS does have intra-Europe flight awards originating out of LHR. I’ve done award searches on LHR-AMS using BA and AS, AS shows no BA availability, BA does. And, again, the chart doesn’t allow it- why would AS price an award but not put it on the chart? What is the pricing for this award supposed to be in Y or J? Note that NONE of the airlines I mentioned have identical pricing to each other in Y and J, so it’s not like AS can rely on a regional award chart to price awards.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 15, 2022 at 2:49 pm
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

IB, EI and AY all fly to LHR (they don’t fly to INV), so therefore AS does have intra-Europe flight awards originating out of LHR. I’ve done award searches on LHR-AMS using BA and AS, AS shows no BA availability, BA does.
You're absolutely right and I stand corrected. I thought I'd seen BA flights show up for a LHR-EU search, but on second look they are IB. Clearly I was moving too quickly last night! So that's my answer, and sorry for the false alarm!

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I have both Avios and Mileage Plan miles. When the choice is between a flight that costs €450 or a 4,750 Avios + $35, I consider that a pretty good use of Avios. But YMMV, of course .
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamespvg
I have both Avios and Mileage Plan miles. When the choice is between a flight that costs €450 or a 4,750 Avios + $35, I consider that a pretty good use of Avios. But YMMV, of course .
For LHR-AMS? Are you buying walk up fares or something? The standard one way fare on BA seems to be around $120 for economy or $220 for business. €450 is really expensive.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I had the exact same route issues (INV-LHR) and gave up and purchased tickets. Even got fooled by their crap-tier "Club Europe" seats on a beat down A319 that had a 3-3 layout, and up front had a strange tray table attachment in the center seat. 0/10 would pay for again.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
IB, EI and AY all fly to LHR (they don’t fly to INV), so therefore AS does have intra-Europe flight awards originating out of LHR. I’ve done award searches on LHR-AMS using BA and AS, AS shows no BA availability, BA does. And, again, the chart doesn’t allow it- why would AS price an award but not put it on the chart? What is the pricing for this award supposed to be in Y or J? Note that NONE of the airlines I mentioned have identical pricing to each other in Y and J, so it’s not like AS can rely on a regional award chart to price awards.
My remark was based on what jamespvg was saying. Maybe I misunderstood or he miswrote, but the statement was that he was able to book LHR-EU using AS miles. When I do a search now, I do not see such awards as well. So maybe it's a misstatement.

PS: Maybe (and that's what I think you suggest), he is seeing IB EI or AY award for his statement, but that's a confusing statement if that is what he meant.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Apr 15, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that AS is part of OW, isn't it strange that you can't book domestic BA tickets AA miles (when saver space exists, of course).

I assume that these are available through other OW carriers' programs?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Now that AS is part of OW, isn't it strange that you can't book domestic BA tickets AA miles (when saver space exists, of course).

I assume that these are available through other OW carriers' programs?
They're available with AA miles. I presume with some other OW carriers as well. Great use of Avios though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.