Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Surprise last minute cancellation JFK-PDX-SEA-HNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Was supposed to fly JFK-PDX-SEA-KOA for a family vacation in 11 hours. Got a surprise 11:50pm push notification that JFK-PDX segment was cancelled.
  • I see an EWR-SEA-KOA itinerary that would work, but I don't think they'd put me on this automatically and phone hold time is apparently 4-5 hours (???) right now
  • Text service is nonexistent, says "Due to high volumes we are unable to accept additional chats at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. This chat has ended."
  • We had confirmed GGU upgrades on the JFK-PDX segment. Paid extra as MVPG to upgrade. Are those just lost?
What is going on here and what are my options? Seems like we're likely to lose both the upgrades as well as nights of lodging we paid for?

Last edited by mizzao; Apr 14, 2022 at 10:28 pm
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
that sucks, hope you get through soon

I can tell you that you will get the GGU back and you when you ask them to rebook you can press them to ask revenue management to open up U space since your original flight was canceled
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by mizzao
Was supposed to fly JFK-PDX-SEA-KOA for a family vacation in 11 hours. Got a surprise 11:50pm push notification that JFK-PDX segment was cancelled.
  • I see an EWR-SEA-KOA itinerary that would work, but I don't think they'd put me on this automatically and phone hold time is apparently 4-5 hours (???) right now
  • Text service is nonexistent, says "Due to high volumes we are unable to accept additional chats at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. This chat has ended."
  • We had confirmed GGU upgrades on the JFK-PDX segment. Paid extra as MVPG to upgrade. Are those just lost?
What is going on here and what are my options? Seems like we're likely to lose both the upgrades as well as nights of lodging we paid for?
Could try calling now (if you are still awake)... could also show up at EWR and ask them to get you onto that flight...
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Could try calling now (if you are still awake)... could also show up at EWR and ask them to get you onto that flight...
Yeah, that's gonna be hard with a 2.5 year old toddler. I had this all planned out, it's just going to suck with the random cancellations.

I somehow got on the phone with someone (it seemed like if they rebook you when you call in they skip the line). They originally put me on a JFK-SAN(overnight)-KOA next day (ugh). We are also considering EWR-SEA-KOA the following day, which messes with our hotel and rental car quite a bit.

I am going to see if we can squeeze onto that flight another way, or else try to get them to put us on HA JFK-HNL-KOA (if that is even possible).
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
rental car companies will *typically* hold a reservation for 24 hrs, but I would strongly suggest calling the pickup office directly (rather than going thru the 1-800 number) to confirm that they’re actually holding a vehicle for you

UA has EWR-SFO-KOA at 215pm arriving 945pm, 1+45 connection
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Somehow they got us on EWR-SEA-KOA same day (Apr 15) and even opened up U space to get us the original upgraded segments. So we're not losing a day...feels like a miracle 2am before the flight leaves. I guess AS still does have some capacity to take care of us.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
wow, that’s a terrific result … esp with so little notice of the cancellation

(per FlightRadar24, the inbound SAN-JFK also cancelled; I don’t have EF or any other way to check on the reason)
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Expertflyer isn't overly helpful:

SCHEDULE ACTUAL DELAY/CANCEL ARRIVAL
CITY ARRV DEPT ARRV DEPT CODES GATE
JFK ORIG 1130A CXLD EX
PDX 245P TERM CXLD EX

EX - EQUIPMENT CANCELLATION
6JFK/DX XCLD EQUIPMENT CANCELLATION *2246
1PDX/LX XCLD EQUIPMENT CANCELLATION *2246

The inbound info isn't enlightening either:SCHEDULE ACTUAL DELAY/CANCEL ARRIVAL
CITY ARRV DEPT ARRV DEPT CODES GATE
SAN ORIG 1100P CXLD AT
JFK 715A TERM CXLD AT

AT - AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION
3SAN/ETD1100P DUE LATE ARRIVAL *1853
6SAN/DX XCLD AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION *2029
2JFK/ETA0653A PROJECTED *1853
1JFK/LX XCLD AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION *2031

Last edited by catmndu; Apr 15, 2022 at 6:01 am Reason: more details
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:56 am

If it wasn’t for the abysmal hold times for support these issues wouldn’t be so bad. But last minute changes and cancels with 10+ hour hold times and no chat or text support is just so terrible. I always dread seeing emails or texts from Alaska now.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Boarded the EWR-SEA leg now.

An interesting data point from last night was that calling 800-252-7522 at 12:30am EDT after my flight was rebooked immediately connected me to an agent -- no mention of a hold whatsoever. Which is strange given that earlier in the evening I'd held for at least 10-15 minutes with no response after being quoted wait times anywhere from 3-5 hours.

Not sure how to explain this other than either (1) the hold times are fake / intended to get non urgent callers to hang up or (2) there is some system that can prioritize certain phone numbers that are calling in.

I shudder to think what someone who wasn't as familiar with the system would have faced: a "free" overnight in SAN with a toddler or just losing a whole day altogether, including nonrefundable lodging and then having to rebook a car rental in a super tight market at the last minute.
catmndu likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad it worked out for you! Personally I would not object to overnight in SAN option - easy airport to navigate plenty of hotels nearby nice wx and a good way to split long travel. Obviously ymmv.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Boarded the EWR-SEA leg now.

An interesting data point from last night was that calling 800-252-7522 at 12:30am EDT after my flight was rebooked immediately connected me to an agent -- no mention of a hold whatsoever. Which is strange given that earlier in the evening I'd held for at least 10-15 minutes with no response after being quoted wait times anywhere from 3-5 hours.

Not sure how to explain this other than either (1) the hold times are fake / intended to get non urgent callers to hang up or (2) there is some system that can prioritize certain phone numbers that are calling in.

I shudder to think what someone who wasn't as familiar with the system would have faced: a "free" overnight in SAN with a toddler or just losing a whole day altogether, including nonrefundable lodging and then having to rebook a car rental in a super tight market at the last minute.
Free? Was AS offering to cover your hotel there?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Glad it worked out for you! Personally I would not object to overnight in SAN option - easy airport to navigate plenty of hotels nearby nice wx and a good way to split long travel. Obviously ymmv.
What does "nice wx" mean here?

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Free? Was AS offering to cover your hotel there?
I think there were vague assurances of being able to reimburse later through customer care but is that going to work really with these phone hold times? Also the place we're staying at in KOA was already paid and way nicer than any SAN airport hotel, plus having to reshuffle the rental car...not worth it
pcoll and notquiteaff like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
What does "nice wx" mean here?
wx = weather

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.