Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Launches New $8 Flat Rate for Streaming-Fast Satellite Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Launches New $8 Flat Rate for Streaming-Fast Satellite Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
8 > 6
Eastbay1K and Tack like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:51 am

AS2 SEA-DCA 4/21 737-800

They wanted $39 for gogoinflight. Used voucher received after informing customer care of how bad the wifi was on outgoing flight, so I didn't cost me anything.

So it was a bargain. Maybe. Maddeningly slow. Just awful. Couldn't even access flyertalk or - for most of the time - even the flightmap.

So the warning here from a sample size of two transcons is to check to see if your flight is a 737-800 and has gogo, and if it does, either buy ahead or be prepared to pay $39 for internet that may not be worth a damn.

Can't wait till they outfit all their planes, and I'm still sticking with AS. Their customer service is still the best, and their crews seem to really care.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Is this per flight or will it work for both legs I'm flying today?

The SEA-ANC is +1 day as well if that matters
Old May 3, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by cragAK
Is this per flight or will it work for both legs I'm flying today?

The SEA-ANC is +1 day as well if that matters
Rather unfortunately it's per flight.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anhuang19
Same as UA, who it seems that they were matching.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by anhuang19
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Same as UA, who it seems that they were matching.
Agreed, WN is $8 per day/per device.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add another data point: I just boarded a DL flight ATL-LAX and wifi is flat rate $5/device.

So $8/flight and being able to switch devices is pretty reasonable.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by chrisl137
To add another data point: I just boarded a DL flight ATL-LAX and wifi is flat rate $5/device.

So $8/flight and being able to switch devices is pretty reasonable.
How do you switch devices without paying another $8?
Old May 18, 2022, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xrayman
I haven't done the $8 internet, but as long as they haven't changed it you just select "switch devices" or something like that and log in from the new device and it drops your connection from the old device. It helps to have a gogo account already - you don't need a subscription, just a gogo username and password and then it's easy to switch among devices.
haveric likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Rather than switching devices, an alternate option might be to invest in a travel router. They're typically small and compact enough to toss in your pocket and will allow you to share the one connection with any number of your devices.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
Rather than switching devices, an alternate option might be to invest in a travel router. They're typically small and compact enough to toss in your pocket and will allow you to share the one connection with any number of your devices.
It's pretty trivial to switch among devices - I routinely switch among two phones and two laptops. So unless you actually need to use them all at once (and have enough space to keep the primary one on and connected to the router) it's not worth the trouble. And I do have a small travel router that has a big battery in it. I use it all the time for the battery, but only really use the router when I need to set up a local network in a place where there's not even a WAN.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's pretty trivial to switch among devices - I routinely switch among two phones and two laptops. So unless you actually need to use them all at once (and have enough space to keep the primary one on and connected to the router) it's not worth the trouble. And I do have a small travel router that has a big battery in it. I use it all the time for the battery, but only really use the router when I need to set up a local network in a place where there's not even a WAN.
You can also just tether from your phone, if it allows sharing a wifi connection. That's what I do.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I haven't done the $8 internet, but as long as they haven't changed it you just select "switch devices" or something like that and log in from the new device and it drops your connection from the old device. It helps to have a gogo account already - you don't need a subscription, just a gogo username and password and then it's easy to switch among devices.
Wait i have been on a lot of flights now with the 8 dollar wifi....i have never seen a "switch devices" like UA does.....can you give me any details? I dont want a travel router, etc.....i just would like to switch between my laptop and phone to catch up on messaging from Telegram (not supported by wifi yet).
Old May 21, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Wait i have been on a lot of flights now with the 8 dollar wifi....i have never seen a "switch devices" like UA does.....can you give me any details? I dont want a travel router, etc.....i just would like to switch between my laptop and phone to catch up on messaging from Telegram (not supported by wifi yet).
Old May 21, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I haven't done the $8 internet yet and haven't been on an AS flight in about a month. I'll try it next weekend and post details. But with the regular priced WiFi I switch devices all the time. AA also lets you switch devices with just the email address you used for the receipt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.