Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Launches New $8 Flat Rate for Streaming-Fast Satellite Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Launches New $8 Flat Rate for Streaming-Fast Satellite Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by skunker
Ever been on a plane with free wifi? You won't be streaming much of anything unless its a slide show.
All the time and it works just fine. Not every airline has crappy Wi-Fi AND charges for it😀
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
All the time and it works just fine. Not every airline has crappy Wi-Fi AND charges for it😀
LOL
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
As I recall with VX you had to pay for WiFi. While they did have seatback entertainment every time I tried to use it, it was a clunky old IFE that never worked. Kinda like when it was high tech to use a coffee vending machine. No thanks!
Free for gold members (you got some codes, and if you used them all you could ask for more codes).

Also, doesn't JetBlue provide free wifi for everyone? And doesn't Emirates provide free WiFi for everyone with a FF account (even with no status)?

The idea that it would be too slow if everyone had access is not a good argument any more. Satellite has tons of bandwidth, and most people use very very little. The problem is latency.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The problem is latency.
I have a ton of technical SATCOM experience... it really depends on what you are using it for. Modern satellite modems spoof the sliding window acknowledgements in the network stream and use forward error control to make things like streaming video and file downloads work great.

But, if you want to open a web page with dozens or hundreds of elements that need downloading, those requests take time, and the small file sizes of each mean that there is really no way to optimize them. Most systems can't use web pre-caching anymore since the vast majority of traffic is TLS.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
I have a ton of technical SATCOM experience... it really depends on what you are using it for. Modern satellite modems spoof the sliding window acknowledgements in the network stream and use forward error control to make things like streaming video and file downloads work great.

But, if you want to open a web page with dozens or hundreds of elements that need downloading, those requests take time, and the small file sizes of each mean that there is really no way to optimize them. Most systems can't use web pre-caching anymore since the vast majority of traffic is TLS.
I understand this (though the spoofing of the sliding window acks is a neat trick -- I wasn't aware of that! Always good to learn something new)

I was referring to things that are actually latency sensitive (I do have JuiceSSH on my phone -- not that I ever use it any more). But yeah many web pages are just going to load slowly. Streaming Netflix will be fine. Most people are not going to notice the latency.

My point was more that the bandwidth is fine, and there is plenty even if it's free for everyone. Most people who think that bandwidth is a problem actually just happen to be one of the few who is doing something that requires low latency, and that's why it's slow.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k

No satellite WiFi from seattle to MKE yesterday.

ouch. Much higher prices for speeds that work only for email and browsing. 30 minutes $6 while full flight was $18.95
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:52 am

QR Wi-Fi is $10 for entire flight but is currently 20% off.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Everytime I try using just the basic alaskaair.com website that is free, I find it painfully slow....I can't imagine how streaming would be even remotely possible especially if there were very many passengers using it at the same time...you would need at least 30 min just to open a few emails....unless the $8 gets you some "special" faster wifi.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Everytime I try using just the basic alaskaair.com website that is free, I find it painfully slow....I can't imagine how streaming would be even remotely possible especially if there were very many passengers using it at the same time...you would need at least 30 min just to open a few emails....unless the $8 gets you some "special" faster wifi.
when the satellite WiFi is available the speed is very reliable. I’ve been able to watch live streaming TV. When not satellite WiFi only emails and light web surfing
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:52 pm

AS5 DCA-LAX April 14 737-800 (with the old plush blue seats up front)

Was hoping to try out the $8 wi-fi.
Equipment offered gogo inflight for $39 for the flight or $11 for 30 minutes.

Ended up getting a $20 discount thru customer chat, but the service ranged from maddeningly slow to inoperable.
Gave up and took a nap for the last third of the flight.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HomerJay

Ended up getting a $20 discount thru customer chat, but the service ranged from maddeningly slow to inoperable.
Sounds like one of the un-upgraded ATG-4 planes. The weebly site has pretty up to date info on what each plane has.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HomerJay

It's funny how the "maddeningly slow"wifi is cheaper than the supposedly high speed wifi for $8....the alaskaair.com is always my "test" website--I'm not going to pay a dollar for wifi when it takes forever just to price a single flight.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:20 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
unless the $8 gets you some "special" faster wifi.
That's exactly what it is. The pricing is only on planes with satellite (not gogo) wifi which is significantly faster.
dayone likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
That's exactly what it is. The pricing is only on planes with satellite (not gogo) wifi which is significantly faster.
I took two E75 (non-satellite gogo wifi) flights this month and both ways the wifi was showing at $8 for the full flight. Either it was a massive coincidence (but it used to be more on that route), or it also applies to the regional jets.

Last edited by ItsAnAdam; Apr 17, 2022 at 3:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 985X
I think $8 is to align with what UA charges for domestic flights. ($8 for mileageplus members, $10 for non-members)
Why wouldn't they align with $6 per flight on DL Viasat aircraft?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.