Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Labor Issues Cause Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
@ sea_jeff: google: "What is Alaska Airlines 2 letter code? The answer is: AK-since 2016.

ALK is its NYSE symbol.

Lol…I’m seriously not trying to be a smart-*as here, but you two, and your Google searches are are killing me!
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
@ sea_jeff: google: "What is Alaska Airlines 2 letter code? The answer is: AK-since 2016.

ALK is its NYSE symbol.
You’re mistaking the code for the airline which is indeed AS with the tail code letters that indeed changed to AK in 2016 iirc because they ran out of AS tail numbers.

From Alaska themselves:

The AS suffix is tied to Alaska’s history as Alaska Star Airlines – the “Star” was dropped in 1944. There are no plans to change Alaska’s IATA designator “AS” or the ICAO designator “ASA.” (Malaysian low-cost airline AirAsia has the IATA code AK, but doesn’t use those letters as part of its tail numbers.)”
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tack

Lol…I’m seriously not trying to be a smart-*as here, but you two, and your Google searches are are killing me!

Just trying to keep you on your toes. Btw - you never gave us the real number on 1st year Sr. Captain pay. I know what QX pilots earn but have no clue other than my lousy Google numbers on 737 captains are unhappy about.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:21 pm

Fwiw, AA, AS, DL, WN, B6, G4, NK, F9 all had at least 8% of scheduled flights canceled Saturday per FlightAware. AS was nowhere near top of the list. The reasons may vary, but it was clearly a bad day to be traveling all around. The only major carrier that didn’t suffer significant disruptions was UA.
Tack likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by sea_jeff

Just trying to keep you on your toes. Btw - you never gave us the real number on 1st year Sr. Captain pay. I know what QX pilots earn but have no clue other than my lousy Google numbers on 737 captains are unhappy about.
I’ve been gone since 2018. But when I left? First year FO was at just south of 77k. Should be a bit higher now as that CBA had a year left when I split. Side note, economics in any CBA are never enough or too much depending on which side of the fence you’re on. The biggest bee in the bonnet for AS drivers over the last few years is job security due to lack of Scope. QX going all E-jets isn’t helping because AS will have a top up order soon and QX will be seen as grabbing more mainline flying. Where it ticks drivers off is in the potential lack of seat upgrades to CA on the big jets if the Barbie jets pirate routes. It’s a bit more complicated with other QOL issues but that’s a poor mans, nutshell version, based on chatter from 4 years ago. I make no claim that I’m giving accurate info.
sea_jeff likes this.

Last edited by Tack; Apr 2, 2022 at 11:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:46 pm

^^^^ Thanks. I’m sure there are some serious QOL differences between carriers determined by any number of things.
My own business faced some geographic challenges compared to other parts of the country and my employer essentially said suck it up - love it or leave it.

I was more easily replaceable than a pilot but luckily my total comp was largely commission based.

The whole thing about leaving pax stranded is what has me salty about the current situation at AS. If the pool of skilled pilots is that limited other airlines will poach their pilots.

Seniority would be an issue but there will undoubtedly be incentives offered to make a move worthwhile.
Tack likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Fwiw, AA, AS, DL, WN, B6, G4, NK, F9 all had at least 8% of scheduled flights canceled Saturday per FlightAware. AS was nowhere near top of the list.
Did you happen to capture the data for Friday 4/1, too? (that’s the day this thread is talking about)
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Multiple "sick out" flights today too. I got burned by this "crew illness" BS this morning. AS rebooked me for *2* days later - completely realistic for this or any other business trip. By the time they notified me, everything else on other airlines zeroed out in EF. I'm booking everything on AA and UA until further notice. UA much easier out of SFO anyway.

My view is that this will turn into a real mess for AS and ultimately for the pilots if they don't get on top of this ASAP. AS doesn't have the network to absorb the disruptions, and other than for SEA-based flyers, it's just so incredibly easy to walk away from AS for more convenient airlines. Who knows? AS pilots might ultimately like being stapled to the bottom of the AA or DL seniority list and watching SEA turn into STL or CVG... DL must be licking its chops.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Multiple "sick out" flights today too. I got burned by this "crew illness" BS this morning. AS rebooked me for *2* days later - completely realistic for this or any other business trip. By the time they notified me, everything else on other airlines zeroed out in EF. I'm booking everything on AA and UA until further notice. UA much easier out of SFO anyway.

My view is that this will turn into a real mess for AS and ultimately for the pilots if they don't get on top of this ASAP. AS doesn't have the network to absorb the disruptions, and other than for SEA-based flyers, it's just so incredibly easy to walk away from AS for more convenient airlines. Who knows? AS pilots might ultimately like being stapled to the bottom of the AA or DL seniority list and watching SEA turn into STL or CVG... DL must be licking its chops.
While sustained disruption could be financially detrimental to AS, I think you’re overstating their current disadvantage.
Tack likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Tack
If I had to guess, and this is just an uneducated guess from someone who is now on the outside completely. I’d say an up tick in pilot fatigue calls. My 2 cents, which is worth about 1/2 of a penny.
Pilot fatigue suddenly causing ~10% of mainline flights to be cancelled each day since information picketing started. What a coincidence.

The only reason AS isn't getting roasted worse is that the bad weather in the South caused other airlines to cancel flights for weather disruptions, hiding AS meltdown a bit.

The argument that this isn't coordinated or is due to understaffing doesn't hold water when the schedule was fine for the past two months.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
While sustained disruption could be financially detrimental to AS, I think you’re overstating their current disadvantage.
If it continues very long, it will seriously harm AS reputation and cause people to book away. Only a few AS routes have enough service that AS can rebook the affected passengers. There are a whole lot of routes with 1-2 flights per day, and when one of those cancels and AS offers to rebook you 3 days later... You start booking elsewhere and have stranded passengers. It's going into day 4 now.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by seacarl
The argument that this isn't coordinated or is due to understaffing doesn't hold water when the schedule was fine for the past two months.
Of course, I'd never begrudge anyone in any profession to hold out for higher compensation (I've always maintained that when in Corp America say nice things on the surface but always practice "me first, and f'k everyone else") but, as you've saliently observed, it comes to a point where I, as a consumer, will seek alternatives until things have been sorted out.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Of course, I'd never begrudge anyone in any profession to hold out for higher compensation (I've always maintained that when in Corp America say nice things on the surface but always practice "me first, and f'k everyone else") but, as you've saliently observed, it comes to a point where I, as a consumer, will seek alternatives until things have been sorted out.
Sure the pilots should do what they think is in their best interest. As customers and essentially collateral damage we need to approach it with our eyes wide open and our own interest at heart.

It's disingenuous to say that there isn't a labor action but each side has their reason for maintaining that position. The pilots because it's illegal and could turn opinion against them. The airline because it will cost revenue to acknowledge it

While at Seatac this morning I saw cancelled AS flights to Charleston SC and Raleigh NC. Those are examples where the pax will be screwed because AS doesn't have much extra capacity. They only fly to CHS 4-5x/week. I don't remember whether RDU is 1/day or up to 2/day yet. Also cancellations to California, Hawaii, etc.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
While at Seatac this morning I saw cancelled AS flights to Charleston SC and Raleigh NC. Those are examples where the pax will be screwed because AS doesn't have much extra capacity. They only fly to CHS 4-5x/week. I don't remember whether RDU is 1/day or up to 2/day yet.
Yeah, for those routes passengers are essentially booked on the equivalent of Spirit, Allegiant or Frontier if AS doesn’t rebook their stranded passengers on their partner AA or other carriers.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:03 pm

It's disingenuous to say that there isn't a labor action but each side has their reason for maintaining that position. The pilots because it's illegal and could turn opinion against them. The airline because it will cost revenue to acknowledge it
While as a customer, I’m not happy, neither side is denying the reason for the cancellations or doing something illegal. From what I’m reading AS is being clear that significant flight cancellations are due to a shortage of pilots. The pilots are well within their right to not pick up or bid open lines of flying, as are those pilots who are exercising their right to declare themselves unfit for duty. That said, as customers we are within our right to choose other flight options. I have a trip the end of the month on AS. I’m looking for another option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.