Labor Issues Cause Flight Cancellations

Old May 12, 22, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan View Post
I know how it works, I'm just saying, and I hope I'm wrong, but this is different. People are angry and not forgetting. Time will tell I guess.
... because they're going through the tsuris now, not last year.
Old May 12, 22, 4:58 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
My point was we always say this is different and that people wont forget. Yet, they always have. AS current issues are minor compared the the 💩 other airlines put passengers through.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
... because they're going through the tsuris now, not last year.
Time will tell. I've had long conversation with AS loyalists who have expressly stated they've forgiven them in the past but won't anymore, unlike conversations I've had in the past with them. I've had conversations with AS loyalists who've gone with another airline, had a poor experience but said they'll do it again because at least they helped them during IRROPS, got them there that day, etc. I can't tell you how many times people have said they feel like Alaska has left them in the cold. I'm just telling you how it is. I'm a fan of AS, I love them, I owe a lot to them and it pains me but this time is different.
Old May 12, 22, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
I can't tell you how many times people have said they feel like Alaska has left them in the cold. I'm just telling you how it is. I'm a fan of AS, I love them, I owe a lot to them and it pains me but this time is different.
Maybe when I'm no longer 100K or 75K, I don't know. I also haven't moved to Canada yet.

🎶 And I'd rather be the one you slip around with
Than be the one whose dream of love is gone
Yes I'd rather be the one you spend your time with
Than be the one at home all alone 🎶
Old May 12, 22, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time will tell. I've had long conversation with AS loyalists who have expressly stated they've forgiven them in the past but won't anymore, unlike conversations I've had in the past with them. I've had conversations with AS loyalists who've gone with another airline, had a poor experience but said they'll do it again because at least they helped them during IRROPS, got them there that day, etc. I can't tell you how many times people have said they feel like Alaska has left them in the cold. I'm just telling you how it is. I'm a fan of AS, I love them, I owe a lot to them and it pains me but this time is different.
Yes. This time, Alaska Airlines isn't going cheap on the jackscrew grease causing a plane to smash into the ocean. Very different, recoverably so. That one had me off AS for a year, and almost forever, seeing as how I was on that frame earlier the same day.

And as a practical matter, stick around any airline for long enough, and eventually, your favo(u)rite airline is going to shove a fist somewhere you probably don't want it. At least AS, for the time being, is sending us some nice pain reliever afterwards ... much better than AA did on my most recent material delay.
northwesterner and zoefish like this.
Old May 12, 22, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP
At least AS, for the time being, is sending us some nice pain reliever afterwards ... much better than AA did on my most recent material delay.
How long is that taking? I had a 3hr delay almost a month ago and wrote in about it, nothing back yet.
Old May 12, 22, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northwesterner View Post
How long is that taking? I had a 3hr delay almost a month ago and wrote in about it, nothing back yet.
For the biggest issue, the phone res agent put in the requests to customer care (ORC, credits, etc.) directly for me. For my last service issue (horrible service, but no cancellation), customer care hasn't replied for over two months.
northwesterner likes this.
Old May 12, 22, 6:27 pm

It's become more frequent, the recovery has been slower and the trips have meant more to their customers recently. Also, the options have increased from SEA. I've had people running up to me in tears saying how they've been a 75k for decades and are done. I've never seen the resentment towards Alaska I'm seeing now in 10 years of airport leadership at Seatac.
Im not sure. I have been flying AS for 35 years and they have had reliability issues on several occasions that lasted months, yet still appeared to largely hold on to their customer base. For example, they had very poor operations the entire summer of 2005 after outsourcing their baggage handling at SEA. Ontime performance fell to 50% during the first month. Aircraft were damaged due to ground strikes. It was a mess. The previous summer they tried TANGO to make turn times faster, which hurt ontime numbers, but the full effect was really seen once the SEA ground handling was messed up. I kept being surprised they didnt lose more customers, but frankly the reality is there werent many alternatives in the PNW apart from WN and UA on a subset of routes. Now DL is a more viable option.
Old May 12, 22, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
Now DL is a more viable option.
This. Reliability is important, and when Delta has IRROPS, one can generally find another option on the app/online without having to wait 8-10 hours to speak with an agent. Delta Status Match/Challenge is a great hedge. Yes, this time is different, and it galls me their marketing message is "We Care".
StevenSeagalFan likes this.
Old May 12, 22, 9:10 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
This. Reliability is important, and when Delta has IRROPS, one can generally find another option on the app/online without having to wait 8-10 hours to speak with an agent. Delta Status Match/Challenge is a great hedge. Yes, this time is different, and it galls me their marketing message is "We Care".
The "We care" is just further proof that AS leadership is clueless, they're going with the typical AS response, bury your head in the sand and let it go away and people will forgive and forget. Brad Tilden would've been out in front of all of this and offering sincere, heartfelt apologies and lay out exactly what they're going to do, not lie and say canceling 2% of the flights will solve everything then cancel 5-8% and the problem still isn't solved.
sfozrhfco and Resplendent like this.
Old May 13, 22, 6:42 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
For the biggest issue, the phone res agent put in the requests to customer care (ORC, credits, etc.) directly for me. For my last service issue (horrible service, but no cancellation), customer care hasn't replied for over two months.
As another data point, after not hearing anything for 2 weeks on a customer care email about cancellations, I called into the customer care line during normal business hours. I was issued ORC on my itinerary within 15 minutes. Recommend calling customer care direct, when possible.
Old May 13, 22, 7:04 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
FYI-they are 5 weeks behind in answering customer care emails.
Old May 13, 22, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
FYI-they are 5 weeks behind in answering customer care emails.
I got a response in 3 days.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 15, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
I'm getting whacked again right now by these crew issues... sitting here rotting in SEA instead of in the air on the way home. UA is zeroed out. All AS flights are full. If management really wanted to solve this, they could choose to sell flights to only 75% capacity to absorb these delays and cancellations. They'd be taking a loss on every flight but they might not lose future customers so readily.

I've booked everything away from AS from now until end of schedule, but these are pre-existing tickets. I would cancel but I don't want more MyWallet funds. AS won't refund pre-emptively and by the time the "crew" issues are announced, it's too late to react or $1000+++ to get a last minute flight SFO-SEA or SFO-LAX on another airline, if any seats are even available.

What kind of compensation are people requesting and getting these days? Is AS still issuing both RDM and EQM for these fully within-the-airline's-control delays?
Old May 15, 22, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
I'm getting whacked again right now by these crew issues... sitting here rotting in SEA instead of in the air on the way home. UA is zeroed out. All AS flights are full. If management really wanted to solve this, they could choose to sell flights to only 75% capacity to absorb these delays and cancellations. They'd be taking a loss on every flight but they might not lose future customers so readily.

I've booked everything away from AS from now until end of schedule, but these are pre-existing tickets. I would cancel but I don't want more MyWallet funds. AS won't refund pre-emptively and by the time the "crew" issues are announced, it's too late to react or $1000+++ to get a last minute flight SFO-SEA or SFO-LAX on another airline, if any seats are even available.

What kind of compensation are people requesting and getting these days? Is AS still issuing both RDM and EQM for these fully within-the-airline's-control delays?
I got original EQM and RDM for my DCA-LAX-SEA-ANC // ANC-SEA-DCA trip that got obliterated 2 weeks ago. Ended up cancelling and rebooking last-minute on UA and AA. I had to call into customer care, and I was only given the ORC as a "one time exception" [HA!]. I also separately got an email cert of $100. I seem to be collecting a lot of them lately...
Old May 15, 22, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012 View Post
I got original EQM and RDM for my DCA-LAX-SEA-ANC // ANC-SEA-DCA trip that got obliterated 2 weeks ago. Ended up cancelling and rebooking last-minute on UA and AA. I had to call into customer care, and I was only given the ORC as a "one time exception" [HA!]. I also separately got an email cert of $100. I seem to be collecting a lot of them lately...
Per Mileage Plan T&C's, it is an exception. Of course, AS is throwing out just about anything to keep customers happy, including full-out status extensions. YMMV

James

Search this Thread