Labor Issues Cause Flight Cancellations

Old Apr 13, 22, 8:38 am

As predicted, rural markets will feel the impact of Horizon cuts. This article says EAT, among others (ALW, GTF, YKM, YYJ, YEG), will likely go to a single flight per day beginning Sept 7th:

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/busin...e5ba529dd.html
Old Apr 13, 22, 9:08 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by B787938 View Post
For those stranded by AS on long haul routes where they only serve once daily, how many days were you delayed? Did they proactively book you on other airlines? IMHO, 10k RDMs and EQMs is hardly worth a multi-day delay. Interested to hear more details about the delays. As my work travel resumes next month (finally), this MVPG and UA Platinum will be looking to UA because of the continued melt-downs at AS.
They canceled SAN-HNL on me the night before the flight. I immediately took matters in my own hands and booked a comparable (but more expensive) WN flight until I had clarity on what AS was doing. The AS computer rebooked me through SJC with an overnight... that would have gotten me there too late for my engagement (business trip).

I didn't immediately call to talk to an agent, (figuring hold times would be ridiculous) but called the morning of the flight to cancel my rebooked flight. The agent offered to try to figure something out for me, but I had already decided to stick with my WN flight. She would have refunded to original form of payment, but using the travel wallet actually made life easier for me, so that's what we did. I asked about compensation, and she said she'd either let me hold to talk to customer care or she could talk to them on my behalf. My WN flight was going to board shortly, so I told her that I'd trust her to figure something out. Within an hour, I had an email with a $250 discount code.

I later got the 5k RDM/4k EQM email.

I don't really have any complaints, except that I wish it hadn't happened in the first place.
B787938, be_rettSEA and 985X like this.

Last edited by twitch76; Apr 13, 22 at 9:25 am
Old Apr 13, 22, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
As predicted, rural markets will feel the impact of Horizon cuts. This article says EAT, among others (ALW, GTF, YKM, YYJ, YEG), will likely go to a single flight per day beginning Sept 7th:

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/busin...e5ba529dd.html

No big surprise, I guess.

RDM appears to have lost its PDX flights for good.

https://ktvz.com/videos/2022/04/04/c...on-flies-away/
Old Apr 13, 22, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
^ A pretty ideal resolution to an unexpected and unfortunate situation.

Somewhat off-topic, but related, I was in a meeting yesterday with two of SFO's top directors and they shared that WN had just reduced their schedule here through the summer due to their own pilot shortage and was told by them that they are also grounding a very small % of their fleet due to it, somewhere between 1%-2%.
The reason why it somewhat on topic is that sometimes here, you'll hear Henny Penny (or Chicken Little) or Loosey Goosey or similar crying how the AS skies are falling, while in reality, pretty much everywhere else, the deer and the antelope aren't playing and often is heard, a discouraging word and the skies they are cloudy all day.
NoLaGent and Tack like this.
Old Apr 13, 22, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
The reason why it somewhat on topic is that sometimes here, you'll hear Henny Penny (or Chicken Little) or Loosey Goosey or similar crying how the AS skies are falling, while in reality, pretty much everywhere else, the deer and the antelope aren't playing and often is heard, a discouraging word and the skies they are cloudy all day.
I think it's exacerbated at AAG due to the hard line taken with the pilot renegotiations - they're getting very little cooperation from the pilot group to take extra shifts (for obvious reasons).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 13, 22, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
You obviously hear more about AS problems in this forum because it is the AS forum.

One reason why AS might have bigger problems than their competitors is the structure of their network. If UA cancels a long flight, they have a lot more options to rebook passengers on flights through their various hubs.
Eastbay1K, Buster and 985X like this.
Old Apr 13, 22, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
No big surprise, I guess.

RDM appears to have lost its PDX flights for good.

https://ktvz.com/videos/2022/04/04/c...on-flies-away/
Completely self inflicted wound....again. QX is not having problem hiring pilots...well up to the point they said they are getting rid of half their fleet.
Old Apr 13, 22, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, HH Gold (Thank You AMEX), Tennessee Squire
Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
I think it's exacerbated at AAG due to the hard line taken with the pilot renegotiations - they're getting very little cooperation from the pilot group to take extra shifts (for obvious reasons).
No doubt. But watch the SWA pilot group over the next week. I predict WN will be over 10% cancellation in the next week.
Old Apr 14, 22, 9:23 am

Is this affecting mainline only or Horizon as well? IE is booking an Embraer safer?
Old Apr 14, 22, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
That was VX and frankly they threw a lot of stuff at dartboards (“Let’s launch YYZ! Let’s fly AUS-DAL!”) that didn’t work and didn’t have a lot of logic to it, like a gate limited focus city in DAL with expensive slot pairs like LGA/DCA, and no way to actually ramp up the operation past two gates and a small number of destinations. LGA makes zero sense for a West Coast operation until they remove the perimeter rule (and if they did AS execs would probably run over their own grandmas to get gates there, it’s better for Manhattan than JFK or EWR).
LOL...this cracked me up. After Tack's observation about AS' hardball negotiating tactics, I just decided to pull up their last Q's OperM & ProfitM; and, what'd'ya know, it's even slightly better than WN's, and leaps & bounds better than their peers. Only Sun Country and Allegiant are better with the bottom line, but, I suspect, most of us here probably would avoid those two. Even I, willing to ride with F9 & WN, would probably avoid them.

Also, just on a cursory review, JBLU isn't run very well. At least on paper, if that stock falls even 20%, they're worth more dead than alive, in market speak of course. Talk about a potential target that deserves some d&d to be gobbled up, preyed upon by PE, or some activist Hedge Fund. I mean, at this point, changing their C-Suite can only help, since it can't get any worse, given the numbers they're putting up, in my view.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 17, 22 at 3:09 pm Reason: Redact quote of deleted post.
Old Apr 14, 22, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

Several off-topic, ad hominin and personal posts and quotes of them have been deleted.

Labor relations threads tend to breed off-topic posts. New posts should be AS-related. The thread will remain open for now, but will be closed if the discussion goes off the rails again.

dayone, AS Moderator

Last edited by dayone; Apr 17, 22 at 3:15 pm Reason: Reopen after cleanup.
Old Apr 26, 22, 1:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
MVPG - received 5k RDM/4k EQM. Number of miles based on current elite status level, perhaps? 10% of miles needed to requalify?
Data point: My 5k RDM/4k EQM posted this evening.
Old Apr 26, 22, 7:09 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Data point: My 5k RDM/4k EQM posted this evening.
Same here.
Old Apr 26, 22, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Data point - I was sitting at 74K EQM and received the 10K RDM/EQM. Super awesome to see that this got me the 50K bonus RDM for G75K

04/25/2022 SPECIAL SERVICES 50K MVP GOLD PREMIUM BONUS Credited 50,000 0 50,000
04/21/2022 SPECIAL SERVICES SERVICE DISRUPTION MILES Credited 10,000 0 10,000
04/21/2022 SPECIAL SERVICES SERVICE DISRUPTION ELITE-QUALIFYING MILES Credited 10,000 0 10,000
Old Apr 30, 22, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
AND HERE COMES THE CUTS-
"In a paywalled article we start to see some of the pain the Q400 retirement will cause. The 18% cut in SEA departures is stunning if true. I don't doubt it is real because we thought the fleet numbers just didn't add up. Looks like AS will go down to a single roundtrip to Wenatchee (EAT), Walla Walla (ALW), Yakima (YKM), San Antonio (SAT), Great Falls (GTF), Edmonton (YEG) and Victoria (YYJ) after Summer citing the Q retirement as the reason. Not good."
enilria.com

I verified one flight a day to YYJ, EAT and YKM.

Search this Thread