Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

10+ Hours Wait Time to Reach Phone Agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10+ Hours Wait Time to Reach Phone Agent?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
This isn't a good option for everyone, but on more than one occasion this past week, I have found it faster to go to the local airport and get help from the customer service counter.

edit to add:
a) the counter can't help with Award Travel
b) the counter couldn't help me with cancelling a ticket.
estnet and 985X like this.

Last edited by PaperGlider; Apr 14, 2022 at 1:31 am Reason: thanks to estnet, added info of what can't be done at the counter
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
This isn't a good option for everyone, but on more than one occasion this past week, I have found it faster to go to the local airport and get help from the customer service counter.
Yes, not much help if trying to change an award ticket from Thailand while in Thailand
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by estnet
Yes, not much help if trying to change an award ticket from Thailand while in Thailand
You are correct! Thanks. I'll edit my reply.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This seems to be all over the place. I called the MVP Priority line last night at 22:00 PT. Went straight through to an agent in PHX. Issue resolved in a minute. I was confused as to why I needed to call to confirm a flight change with a departure change of 10 minutes. Evidently if you have an upgrade on the flight, they have to manually re-issue. At least I got lucky and my call went straight through.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:00 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
After 8 hours on old it's ringing now. Ringing and ringing and ringing. Which is not an improvement. This is nuts.

When the callback is offered, you get exactly one chance to answer. Not like American where the computer tries calling you 3 times, 5 or 10 minutes apart.

Edited to add: After 15 minutes of ringing, it hung up on me.

Last edited by nsx; Apr 14, 2022 at 7:19 am
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:14 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
Edited to add: After 15 minutes of ringing, it hung up on me.
Strike Two. My second overnight call, initiated 2 hours later than the first, ended exactly the same way. 8 hours on hold, then 12 minutes of ringing, then silent disconnection.

Pathetic.
estnet likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:10 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I finally got through on what must have been my seventh phone call. I got the "more than 10 hours message" but an agent picked up in less than 1 hour and took care of my award flight date change before the seat disappeared.

The ticketing hit a snag which the kind agent promised me would be handled today. The same thing happened with the original date, so I have no worries.

In short: Don't believe the waiting time estimates. It could be much shorter or it could be longer.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
I finally got through on what must have been my seventh phone call. I got the "more than 10 hours message" but an agent picked up in less than 1 hour and took care of my award flight date change before the seat disappeared.

The ticketing hit a snag which the kind agent promised me would be handled today. The same thing happened with the original date, so I have no worries.

In short: Don't believe the waiting time estimates. It could be much shorter or it could be longer.
For future reference you can do (some) award reservation changes online if your new flight/date is available - doesn't work if your original award was issued more than a year before your desired change date - then u get an error message and need to call. A live agent just seems to be able to do/override this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.