Earning on Finnair Premium Economy

Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Earning on Finnair Premium Economy

I'm looking into buying a AY ticket in PEY. The booking class is T which doesn't show it will earn any miles on Alaska. However, I suspect that since AY is launching PEY in May, AS hasn't updated their website yet. Should I just buy it and hope it credits 100% or wait? Route is JFK-HEL-SIN.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:38 pm

I am looking to do the same from LAX and sent a message to Alaska, heck of a deal
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I'm looking into buying a AY ticket in PEY. The booking class is T which doesn't show it will earn any miles on Alaska. However, I suspect that since AY is launching PEY in May, AS hasn't updated their website yet. Should I just buy it and hope it credits 100% or wait? Route is JFK-HEL-SIN.
Hope is fine, but make sure you're okay with it not crediting to AS if it doesn't. Earning on partners is determined by contracts, not "common sense". Some years ago, I purchased a business class ticket on LA in a fare bucket not listed on the AS earning site, and I couldn't get any AS credit for it. I would have purchased that ticket anyway (Was a red-eye PPT-IPC, not a lot of competition, to say the least. And was for my honeymoon, so paying for J was worth it.) so I was willing to take the risk, and was happy with the trip. Still, 2600 (or 3200!) EQM would've been nice as well.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I texted Alaska and they stated as of now T will not earn miles, however it may change once AY launches Premium Economy. So we'll have to wait and see....
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
I'm also looking at booking some Finnair travel - either business or PE on one of their new cabins. I see it costs more to get a reserved seat -- do OneWorld elites get any privileges with regards to that? I'm thinking of paying for mine and using miles for my wife and we'd like to sit near each other. I've seen paying extra for seat selection on domestic budget airlines -- did not expect to see that for transatlantic business class.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by cpworld
I'm also looking at booking some Finnair travel - either business or PE on one of their new cabins. I see it costs more to get a reserved seat -- do OneWorld elites get any privileges with regards to that? I'm thinking of paying for mine and using miles for my wife and we'd like to sit near each other. I've seen paying extra for seat selection on domestic budget airlines -- did not expect to see that for transatlantic business class.
if you book an award flight you can select a seat for free, not sure about if you book it with cash.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any updates on this? still no T on AS chart for AY..
Old May 11, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
T earns 100% but no cabin bonus for the American AAdvantage program.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The Double RDM Finnair promo doesn’t list T in the fine print as a qualifying fare class.

Offer valid on direct flights between Seattle (SEA) and Helsinki (HEL) operated and marketed by Finnair and credited to a Member's Mileage Plan account. Members must register and book flights for this promotion through June 30, 2022 to receive double miles. Percentage of base miles earned can be viewed on the corresponding Finnair partner page. Double miles offer is valid only on qualifying paid flights booked in fare class J, C, D, I, R, Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, S, N, Q, O, Z, A or G from June 1, 2022 through October 28, 2022. All travel must be completed by October 28, 2022. Member must register for the promotion at www.alaskaair.com/promo/AY2201 before the first qualifying flight. Not valid on free or award travel. Double miles do not count toward Mileage Plan elite status. Please allow four to six weeks for miles to be credited to your Mileage Plan account. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. Offer subject to change without notice.”
Old May 12, 2022, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The Double RDM Finnair promo doesn’t list T in the fine print as a qualifying fare class.

Offer valid on direct flights between Seattle (SEA) and Helsinki (HEL) operated and marketed by Finnair and credited to a Member's Mileage Plan account. Members must register and book flights for this promotion through June 30, 2022 to receive double miles. Percentage of base miles earned can be viewed on the corresponding Finnair partner page. Double miles offer is valid only on qualifying paid flights booked in fare class J, C, D, I, R, Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, S, N, Q, O, Z, A or G from June 1, 2022 through October 28, 2022. All travel must be completed by October 28, 2022. Member must register for the promotion at www.alaskaair.com/promo/AY2201 before the first qualifying flight. Not valid on free or award travel. Double miles do not count toward Mileage Plan elite status. Please allow four to six weeks for miles to be credited to your Mileage Plan account. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. Offer subject to change without notice.”
AY is not offering PEY for SEA to HEL at this time so that is probably why T isn't included in the fare class. AY not offering PEY out of the west coast yet. They are still retrofitting the planes.

On another note, I did send in a note to Mileage Plan. Still waiting for an response.
Old May 12, 2022, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
AY is not offering PEY for SEA to HEL at this time so that is probably why T isn't included in the fare class.
I seriously doubt the list was custom prepared for that particular email or that single route.

Rather, it was almost certainly lifted from the Finnair partner page, which does not list T as an earning fare class. Partners - Finnair
Old May 12, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I seriously doubt the list was custom prepared for that particular email or that single route.

Rather, it was almost certainly lifted from the Finnair partner page, which does not list T as an earning fare class. Partners - Finnair
AS has a bit of a history of being slow to update those things. It can work in your favor too (I don't remember the details but wasn't there a time when Hainan changed a fare class to be deep discount business and it was still earning as if it was a higher fare class? My memory is a bit fuzzy)
Old May 19, 2022, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Update: I called customer care this morning, they stated that they don't have any new information yet. I explained that it doesn't make sense not to earn any miles on a premium economy ticket. The agent was understanding but it seemed like since they don't have an agreement yet for PEY they can't do anything. This is frustrating...

Update 6/20/22: No changes yet. Customer Care contacted Mileage Plan too. No updates yet from AY.
notquiteaff and jsguyrus like this.

Last edited by ual744777sta; Jun 20, 2022 at 8:01 pm Reason: Update 6/20
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Earning in T, E, W on Finnair (AY)

Finnair's Y+ was launched earlier this year and there's been no update to the Finnair earning chart (booking classes T, E, W)
Any AS insiders who can tell us if this is going to change anytime soon?
Making 75K this year depends on it

Shuttle

ps. AA & BA have updated theirs
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K
Response from AS

Last edited by shuttlerider; Aug 31, 2022 at 10:20 am Reason: Waiting for more details from AS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.