Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Plans to Transition to All 737 for Mainline and All E75 for Regional by Jan. 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Plans to Transition to All 737 for Mainline and All E75 for Regional by Jan. 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:31 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Glad they spent all that money, time and resource buying up VX only to dismantle its best bits piece-by-piece.
olouie and PDXMSPSEA like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by dll
Glad they spent all that money, time and resource buying up VX only to dismantle its best bits piece-by-piece.
Let's not go there. The topic has been beaten to death. I like the 321s too, but AS has made the decisions it's made about the product it's going to offer and we can either live with it or find another airline.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by dll
I flew VX before and it was very good.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The main goal seems to be to cut down on the number of pilots needed
Some of your posts confuse me about AS. I’ll admit, since being retired for 4 years, even with friends, one neighbor, still flying, I don’t have the big picture. I know they have a set number of pilots that they want in the cockpit this year. Nothing that’s been communicated to me has shown they are looking to reduce either the size or number of new hire pilot classes. From my side of the fence, I’ve been told simplifying to a single fleet is to save money. The 321’s might be easier to dump now than expected and the Q’s are becoming maint drains, nothing more. Difficulty in finding qualified pilot applicants is effecting all airlines. Certainly AS more than AA/DL/UA for obvious reasons. Is your post a guess? Or are you more connected to the pilot group than I believe?
flytoeat and Chugach like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:08 pm

How many Max frames are they scheduled to receive over the next year? Is it enough to compensate one-for-one for the departing A320s, or is there a temporary dip in fleet count until the new planes finish arriving?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
How many Max frames are they scheduled to receive over the next year? Is it enough to compensate one-for-one for the departing A320s, or is there a temporary dip in fleet count until the new planes finish arriving?
There are 29 more -9’s coming this year with 8’s scheduled to be delivered 1st Quarter 2023.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
It was mentioned at investor day that there weren't going to be any dropped cities but I find it hard to see how that works with such a reduction in the QX fleet. They do have close to 30 options on the e175 that they could exercise but not by 2023. At this point it would seem that a lot of the multiple Q flights will probably be reduced to single Ejets. I would also expect the PDX and GEG shuttle service to SEA to get frequency cuts but with larger aircraft.
And even if they don’t drop cities, they might drop routes. Instead of offering XXX-SEA and XXX-PDX, they might just fly XXX-SEA. Some of this has already happened (RDM, for example).
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
There is no slack to add any new flying for AS.
Lol, C’mon. I’ll say it again, I don’t think you have a clue as to the AS hours of AC utilization. But, if I’m wrong, please correct me, even if it’s via DM. I’m starting to kinda wonder if maybe you’re a current AS employee with more info than I? If so, I apologize for being so short, because I know the internal AS is not what customers see. And I can appreciate wanting anonymity. Just curious because the only info I get are pilot rumors, and what they post on the employee/retiree web site and not much of it corroborates with your posts.
flytoeat, Chugach, jlemon and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Hopefully I'll find an inexpensive reason to fly the Q400 before they leave the fleet. I've really enjoyed them on the shorter routes, especially with the free beer and wine. They were also once considered the way to lower costs on routes less than 300 miles.

WN has shown that it can operate with an all 737 fleet and be profitable, so it makes sense that AS will try that again. Maybe AS will even arrange a special event for the last Airbus and Q400 flights like DL does with its domestic fleet retirements.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Personally I hope they take a while to find a new home for them.. I really have grown to like the 321s - the mid-cabin lav in the main cabin is nicer than having to go all the way to the back when you're in PC.
I'd recommend you let AS senior leadership know your thoughts on the mid cabin lav, as the interior design/layout for the MAX 10 fleet hasn't been finalized yet, and you can bet your sweet bippy those are doing transcons all day long.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tack
Some of your posts confuse me about AS. I’ll admit, since being retired for 4 years, even with friends, one neighbor, still flying, I don’t have the big picture. I know they have a set number of pilots that they want in the cockpit this year. Nothing that’s been communicated to me has shown they are looking to reduce either the size or number of new hire pilot classes. From my side of the fence, I’ve been told simplifying to a single fleet is to save money. The 321’s might be easier to dump now than expected and the Q’s are becoming maint drains, nothing more. Difficulty in finding qualified pilot applicants is effecting all airlines. Certainly AS more than AA/DL/UA for obvious reasons. Is your post a guess? Or are you more connected to the pilot group than I believe?
AS just did an investor update with JP Morgan a little over a week ago. it is not a secret that pilots at regionals are moving up to mainline aircraft at a faster clip than usual so as soon as they get trained at a regional--they leave as quickly as they can for a more lucrative position with mainline--whether at AS or another mainline airline. So the problem is that pilots are not staying on the likes of the Q400s and in the current climate it may not make all that much sense to hire a bunch of people and train them and then have to turn around and go through the whole process again with somebody new. It is also easier to staff one mainline flight than 3 regional ones with the same of even more seats.

AS is also paying double time to flight attendants as demand is exceeding the staffing they have available-- so it is not just a matter of staffing pilots but also flight attendants, etc. They have also had trouble retaining ground staff so less flights while slightly expanding overall available seats can help with that as well.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:00 pm

Yay for better regional planes.
Boo for losing the best economy seats in the airbus’ with the 2 seats rows.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
I'm long past understanding the current DAL strategy, especially the single DAL-SEA flight. Most DFW-SEA are routinely 90+% full so there seems to be demand.

If I were Senior Executive Group VP of Network Planning, there would be three mainline DAL-SEA, two mainline DAL-LAX and two E75 DAL-SFO.
As well as the return of DAL <=> LGA connecting to the West Coast flights, please!
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Also, (to me, at least), the use of the few A321s regularly on SFO <=> JFK and SEA <=> JFK (the most "premium" NYC airport) seems to suggest that Alaska realizes these aircraft are nicer than their others. Making it more disappointing that they're hoping to get rid of 'em soon...
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Not a surprise, but it's still sad news. A320s are always nicer than B737s from the seat width to the window placement.
sltlyamusd and PDXMSPSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.