Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG UA G Hilton Diamond

Alaska announced today that they are formally moving to T1 at SFO and opening a new lounge in 2024.

https://news.alaskaair.com/guest-exp...st-experience/
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Wow - that SFO lounge just opened.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Already reported, but it wasn't known whether they'd have a lounge. Note that this release is a bit vague about when the lounge will open.

This is a bummer. T1 is a hassle, whereas T2 is the best terminal at SFO in terms of convenience. Really hope their gates are not way out at the end like AA.
SF1K, Boraxo, cyborg and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Bad news: no access to Priority Pass (unless AF-KLM Lounge in Intl A is accessible)
Good news: there will still be a Board Room, and now the Admirals Club will also be accessible

I liked going to a minimum of two PP restaurants

-J.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I'd like AS to open a lounge in T1 before moving to their gate operations from T2.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Everything old is new again. South Terminal (which changed names to T1) with a BR, to Int'l A gates, to T2, back to T1 with an AL.

I wonder if the foster care facility has finally found a permanent home for this orphan airline.

I also wonder if AS will have gate use of the inner B gates that provide direct access to International arrivals.
BearX220, lalala, VibeGuy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:53 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

AS' T2 Lounge was a (minor) renovation of the former Admirals Club. It was an economical transition space until the new, larger T1 Lounge is built.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:53 am

What? I don't understand this move, at all. So, would the AC revert to the old days where AS lounge members are no longer allowed entry?

PS - by then, all the Ts would be connected right? I guess, T1 closer proximity for OW partners?
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Bad news: no access to Priority Pass (unless AF-KLM Lounge in Intl A is accessible)
Good news: there will still be a Board Room, and now the Admirals Club will also be accessible

I liked going to a minimum of two PP restaurants

-J.
You can already easily walk from T1 to the A gates giving you access to the AF Lounge with PP and to the VS lounge with an AMEX Platinum card without needing to reclear security.
dw and simonsuo like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: Alaska 75k
Guessing this coincides with the last phase of the T1 redevelopment. I would think as part of it, there would be an airside T1-T2 connection. I remember a month ago, there was a big open gap between the current T1 and T2, where they haven't started building construction.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You can already easily walk from T1 to the A gates giving you access to the AF Lounge with PP and to the VS lounge with an AMEX Platinum card without needing to reclear security.
The AFKL lounge will be nice during the hours that access is permitted. I don't have an Amex Plat but I do have the AAdmiral's Club CC so at least I'll have that too. But it was nice to go to the restaurants and get a real meal, followed by another meal to-go.

-J.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:35 pm

I love T2, so my initial reaction is one of disappointment. To be fair, I haven't been to the new Harvey Milk Terminal, but I really love the views of the runways from the AS gates, and the waiting areas are very bright and spacious. I get wanting to be near AA, but then why did AA move out of T2 in the first place? Seems like musical chairs to me. The article also mentioned "shorter taxi times" as a benefit to T1, to which I'm skeptical since it depends on the runways in use. But with the normal fair-weather pattern of departures on the 1s and landing on the 28s, the taxi times upon landing to T2 are about as short as they get!
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I love T2, so my initial reaction is one of disappointment. To be fair, I haven't been to the new Harvey Milk Terminal, but I really love the views of the runways from the AS gates, and the waiting areas are very bright and spacious.
I was in T1 for the first time last month and was really impressed- the waiting areas felt the most lounge like of any airport I’ve been to so far, the PA system is purposely kept low so it was relatively quiet, and the bathrooms were really nice for an airport (reminded me more of bathrooms you’d find in a convention center hotel).
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
What? I don't understand this move, at all. So, would the AC revert to the old days where AS lounge members are no longer allowed entry?

PS - by then, all the Ts would be connected right? I guess, T1 closer proximity for OW partners?
That is correct, the move to T1 will coincide with the opening of the North Ticketing Lobby as well as the airside connection between concourse B and C.

While you can walk from concourse A-G, its going to be a nice long hike that re-clearing security is probably the wiser move.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

I wonder if this means JetBlue will move to T2.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.