Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
  3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code and Mileage Plan™ number.
  4. American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise you will be placed on the waitlist.
Fare class:
Business class upgrade C
First class upgrade A

Terms can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/legal/terms-conditions/american-airlines-upgrader-tc
Print Wikipost

100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
"shell account"

Originally Posted by AK100k
I am now on the call with AA agent for the flights I just booked ORD-LAX-HND-BKK on AA.com (ORD-LAX-HND operated by AA), they said upgrade space is available, but can't locate the upgrade code I provided with them, and the number of available SWU on my account is zero. When booking the flight, shall I add the Alaska MVP number or AA advantage number? Updates: After an hour of call, the agent still has no idea of where to apply that code, asks me to call advantage customer service during their business hours.
I worked with a lovely agent last night and we talked about their challenge in supporting these "new products." One thing that may help: DO NOT provide your own AAdvantage number (most of us have both, right?). Instead, provide the number you received in your email from Alaska:

"3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code xxxxxxx"

Then tell the agent it is a shell AAdvantage account. It will have your SWU instruments attached that they can then pull to upgrade your itinerary.

Good luck!
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I am now on the call with AA agent for the flights I just booked ORD-LAX-HND-BKK on AA.com (ORD-LAX-HND operated by AA), they said upgrade space is available, but can't locate the upgrade code I provided with them, and the number of available SWU on my account is zero. When booking the flight, shall I add the Alaska MVP number or AA advantage number?
The AS MileagePlan number. From the email:

How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by burningflames
I don't have an EF subscription. Is there any way of seeing if confirmed upgrade space is available on the AA website during the booking process? Something similar like what AS has for the GGU certs?
Only when logged in with an AA account that has EP/CK status.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by burningflames
I don't have an EF subscription. Is there any way of seeing if confirmed upgrade space is available on the AA website during the booking process? Something similar like what AS has for the GGU certs?

Looks like EF Pro has a five day free trial.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
So which is it?

EXP here, with two SWU expiring 7/31.

The days when upgrade certs had real value to most flyers are over. (I also have 260 unused UA PlusPoints - trying to burn them 20 at a time on short-haul domestic).
IME both SWUs and PP retain significant value if you have modest flexibility. Now, GGUs are another story: my family had over two dozen expire last year, and so far I've been able to use only 2 in 2022. I think the issue is domestic inventory, where only DL seems to release confirmable space with any frequency (have gotten surprising use out of RPUs this year)--which, of course, means AS is at a considerable disadvantage.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 7, 2022 at 11:18 am Reason: Redact allegedly humorous solicitation.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
Just called AA and applied my 2 SWU's to our long haul flight to South America. We're waitlisted, but I'm crossing my fingers we'll clear before check in. The lady over the phone was very friendly, the process was easy and seamless. One thing I did ask her to do was to make sure the SWUs applied to the long haul route, and she was able to confirm.

I also set an alert on Expertflyer to find 2 C fares for the long haul route.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Only when logged in with an AA account that has EP/CK status.
I think you need to be logged in with an account that has SWU available (status is not relevant)
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:27 am

My wife and I are both 75k members and neither of us have received the codes yet. Are there other 75k or 100k members who haven't received the AA SWUs? I'm just trying to figure out if we got missed or if they are sending them in batches. Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think you need to be logged in with an account that has SWU available (status is not relevant)
Can we somehow link the unique code that AS gives us to an AA account to search for upgrade space?
Seems like the only solution for AS elites is an EF account.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Done with the upgrade, thanks for all the help above!
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:16 pm

Done with the upgrade, thanks for all the help above!
Prepare for about 10 schedule changes!
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Prepare for about 10 schedule changes!
The best thing that could happen would be that LAX-HND gets moved enough that you can no longer make your connection to BKK and you get rebooked on JL J.

But what will most likely happen is that there are a lot of 5-10 minute changes and you have to call in to accept them.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K
No love here, not sure why I didn't get my email. Looked in spam, trash, etc. Qualified for 100K the hard way last year.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
No love here, not sure why I didn't get my email. Looked in spam, trash, etc. Qualified for 100K the hard way last year.
75k here. Matched from UA. No email either.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If it helps the title of the email is:
Exclusive upgrade code: Enjoy a limited-time international upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.