Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
  3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code and Mileage Plan™ number.
  4. American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise you will be placed on the waitlist.
Fare class:
Business class upgrade C
First class upgrade A

Terms can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/legal/terms-conditions/american-airlines-upgrader-tc
Print Wikipost

100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Booked DFW-LHR, so can confirm any route works. Also, language in the T&Cs about a single segment notwithstanding, they're just like SWUs (and, indeed, seem to be processed identically by the EXP desk using some sort of account "shell") and work for multiple segments. I'm waitlisted for the domestic tags just like the old days. Gotta love AA revenue management.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Mods should combine with existing thread; answers to all these questions are already there.
be_rettSEA and eddiehuang97 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Ouch.
Did you expect them to work for award tickets?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Ouch.
I expected this so not disappointed but since I almost exclusively use miles for international travel, this makes these more challenging to use--glad to hear they are good on transcon flights....I wonder if that includes DFW-HNL/OGG?? Although I'm thinking advance upgrade space might be tough to come by....
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
I fly SEA-CLT alot and never get upgraded on that route. I'd love to use one of these since they are valid on transcons, but I'm confused about this wording, "American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise, you will be placed on the waitlist." Does that mean the upgrade code won't be applied until it's actually processed (in other words, will I get the code back if the upgrade doesn't clear)?

Edited to add: Is there a way to see if space is available in advance like you can with AS?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I fly SEA-CLT alot and never get upgraded on that route. I'd love to use one of these since they are valid on transcons, but I'm confused about this wording, "American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise, you will be placed on the waitlist." Does that mean the upgrade code won't be applied until it's actually processed (in other words, will I get the code back if the upgrade doesn't clear)?

Edited to add: Is there a way to see if space is available in advance like you can with AS?
I'm guessing they aren't meant to be used for regular domestic routes that don't have Flagship Business/First, but since they will be processed by an AA agent who is use to their "regular" SWUs that can be used on any route, I bet they would go ahead and let you use it on SEA-CLT. I think you have to have an EF subscription to hunt for upgrade (C or A) space which sounds rather difficult to find based on recent reports.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm guessing they aren't meant to be used for regular domestic routes that don't have Flagship Business/First, but since they will be processed by an AA agent who is use to their "regular" SWUs that can be used on any route, I bet they would go ahead and let you use it on SEA-CLT. I think you have to have an EF subscription to hunt for upgrade (C or A) space which sounds rather difficult to find based on recent reports.
Sigh, I wish they'd just give us miles or extra lounge passes (or better yet, the ability to pick from a list of perks like you can do on Delta) instead of handing out benefits that are both labor-intensive and difficult to use.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:08 pm

I received the email today as well. I called the number listed at AA and the first rep I talked to had no idea what I was requesting. She said that Alaska members don't get AA space available certificates. Obviously she was wrong. I called back and got another rep who was knowledgeable. She looked at my booking, and was not able to confirm my upgrade on JFK-ATH, but put me on a waitlist. There are about 30 seats available in business, according to the seat map so hopefully this will eventually clear. My flight date is 30 days out.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by charlesinseattle
I received the email today as well. I called the number listed at AA and the first rep I talked to had no idea what I was requesting. She said that Alaska members don't get AA space available certificates. Obviously she was wrong. I called back and got another rep who was knowledgeable. She looked at my booking, and was not able to confirm my upgrade on JFK-ATH, but put me on a waitlist. There are about 30 seats available in business, according to the seat map so hopefully this will eventually clear. My flight date is 30 days out.
That was my experience. It turns out the access code is a Aadvantage account with SWUs. HUCA works!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QT31415
Has anyone tried this yet? If I go to EF and confirm that upgrade space is available, then go book the coach ticket, then somehow get through to AA, the upgrade should be possible, right? I don't want to be stuck in international coach waiting for an upgrade. It's not clear where on the AA upgrade list you would be either. I suppose one could book, then cancel if the upgrade isn't available, but that's a hassle.
Also, be care to check for C space segment-by-segment to avoid the "phantom" C (business upgrade) space that might show up on a PDX-DFW-HNL search but when you check DFW-HNL separately, C=0.
QT31415, diver858 and eddiehuang97 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
That was my experience. It turns out the access code is a Aadvantage account with SWUs. HUCA works!
That's interesting. Never underestimate AA's ability to hack some new crap onto the already existing crap (as a software engineer I'm both impressed and mortified by this solution)

What status does the account have? This is important for waitlist ordering.

I assume that this means that they can be used in the same way regular SWUs can?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K
  1. If I book a roundtrip with my wife, so there are 4 one-way flights for us but only 2 SWU vouchers, can I choose any two segments to apply SWUs? I am Alaska 100k, but my wife doesn’t have elite status, if I use SWU on her seat, will she receive any priority on the upgrade waiting list? p.s. I can't find any available international C space on expertflyer to confirm the upgrade.
  2. For international flights with 3-cabins, if I book a cheap Y, will I be upgraded to J or PE?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AK100k
  1. If I book a roundtrip with my wife, so there are 4 one-way flights for us but only 2 SWU vouchers, can I choose any two segments to apply SWUs? I am Alaska 100k, but my wife doesn’t have elite status, if I use SWU on her seat, will she receive any priority on the upgrade waiting list? p.s. I can't find any available international C space on expertflyer to confirm the upgrade.
  2. For international flights with 3-cabins, if I book a cheap Y, will I be upgraded to J or PE?
With 2 SWUs you can only upgrade one person round trip, or two people one way.

Each SWU is good for one passenger for up to 3 segments but they must be in the same direction.

All upgrades skip premium economy.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
All upgrades skip premium economy.
But presumably can upgrade from Premium Economy to Business?

I am thinking the only way I would play the waitlist game is if I found a PE ticket that I would be “happy” to fly as booked, with the upgrade being a nice surprise.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, it would have been nice to have them awarded in multiples of 2 (either 2 for 75K or 4 for 100K) because most of us tend to fly round-trip so you basically have to guess which direction is most likely to clear so you know which way to apply the SWU. You know one way will be in Y no matter what. My guess is that we'll get down closer to the expiration date and people will start using them on just about anything with C space, even relatively short flights like PDX-PHX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.