100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 5:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Wiki Link
How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
  3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code and Mileage Plan™ number.
  4. American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise you will be placed on the waitlist.
Fare class:
Business class upgrade C
First class upgrade A

Terms can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...es-upgrader-tc
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 14, 22, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
DOT does not regulate frequent flyer programs.
at least it’s an area of complaint under other category.

Old Aug 14, 22, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
at least it’s an area of complaint under other category.
You can file a complaint over the color of the seats; that doesn't give DOT jurisdiction to do anything about it ;-)

You might get complaint handling at a higher level with the airline, even if it's a subject that's outside DOT jurisdiction. Just wouldn't expect DOT to do anything beyond forward it on to the airline (and include in its statistics for the year).
Old Aug 15, 22, 7:34 am

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Shared this data point in the AA SWU thread too, since these are basically the same.
I had a confirmed upgrade on the AA flight to London, prior to AA removing it from the route map for fall.
First agent I spoke to (using the number provided in the email) wasn't willing to move me to the BA flight. Called the regular line, and asked to be on AA6907 (the codeshare), and was able to get them to do that. We'll see if everything sticks until departure (alternatively if AA brings back the flight, that'd be preferred).

​​​​
​​​​
Old Aug 15, 22, 8:19 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by zdfld View Post
Shared this data point in the AA SWU thread too, since these are basically the same.
I had a confirmed upgrade on the AA flight to London, prior to AA removing it from the route map for fall.
First agent I spoke to (using the number provided in the email) wasn't willing to move me to the BA flight. Called the regular line, and asked to be on AA6907 (the codeshare), and was able to get them to do that. We'll see if everything sticks until departure (alternatively if AA brings back the flight, that'd be preferred).

​​​​
​​​​
please update -- this would be a minor miracle if allowed to actually fly that routing in C.
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:47 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Gold
What happens if you need to change your flight/routing after one of these SWUs is confirmed?

Do they redeposit the SWU and you reapply it?
Does it auto-transfer to the new itin and then if it doesn't clear it evaporates?

I'm looking at scenarios where I might want to SDC to an earlier AA flight, or change the origin city altogether. Trying to figure out if I should lock in an upgrade now on the one flight that actually has C>0, or wait until I have more clarity on which flight I'll actually want to take

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 2, 22, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn View Post
DP: Found some (offseason) AA C inventory DFW-MAD for Feb. next year. Booked Main Cabin seats on aa.com and called AA with the promo codes. Phone rep originally said we'd have to call AS since it's an AS promo. I read her the 1-2-3 instructions from the AS email. She put me on hold, came back and said "No one here knows how to do that." Was about to HUCA when she said "Wait, let me ask one more person." She came back and said the person told her how to apply the code. 5 mins. later and we were good to go.

She was super pleasant and was laughing by the end of the call. Said "Now I know for when the next one of you calls in!"

Clearly the training for this promo has not propagated through the system.
UPDATE
EF comes through again. C inventory came available for some flights I was watching. Was able to change DFW-MAD rt to LAX-JFK-MAD rt, same dates, for an add/collect charge of $44 per pax (x2). Lie-flats all segments and (IMO) better lounge offering than the original.
Old Sep 2, 22, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I found C space using Expert Flyer and successfully upgraded LAX-LHR and LHR-JFK-CLT-DEN. Return trip is the day before Thanksgiving, so seats are out there. DEN-LAX is waitlisted, but it's an E175 with no service to speak of so I'm not bothered.

When you are searching using EF be sure to check each segment individually; connecting flights will show C7 consistently when the actual C count is low or nonexistent.
tobikosan and pmblinn like this.
Old Sep 10, 22, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Was lucky enough to redeem 2 SWU on NRT-DFW. Was on the waitlist for the whole time (#3 & #4). All 4 cleared at gate (full J cabin)
Old Sep 10, 22, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Angry

Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

When you are searching using EF be sure to check each segment individually; connecting flights will show C7 consistently when the actual C count is low or nonexistent.
I was trying to use one now since the routing i searched on EF showed space on both segments (due to married segment) But after HUCAing, i learned that AA looks at the longhaul leg individually. How awful. How convenient of them, when it comes to award availability, they're so strict about married segments but not when it comes to this.
Old Sep 11, 22, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
I was trying to use one now since the routing i searched on EF showed space on both segments (due to married segment) But after HUCAing, i learned that AA looks at the longhaul leg individually. How awful. How convenient of them, when it comes to award availability, they're so strict about married segments but not when it comes to this.
I think it's been that way for years...EF even has a reminder to search segment by segment for upgrade availability on AA...not just international but systemwide....it's annoying but at least there is still a way to search.
buschoi likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Cleared immediately on MIA-SCL for mid December, as well as domestic segments EUG-PHX-MIA.
tobikosan and pmblinn like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zdfld View Post

​​​​
Originally Posted by lalala View Post
please update -- this would be a minor miracle if allowed to actually fly that routing in C.
No miracle needed. I can confirm AA SWUs, even those granted to AS Elites, can now be used for upgrades on BA Metal. That provides a little more utility as an AS Elite benefit. I have no desire to fly trans-oceanic and earn less than 100% EQM on a revenue ticket. AA y-up into PE and a SWU is viable since AA seems happy to Market BA flights with cheap Y fares that y-up to PE, book into P class on AA and earn 100% EQM in Mileage Plan.

James
ual744777sta and tobikosan like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 23, 22 at 2:29 am
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I found C space using Expert Flyer and successfully upgraded LAX-LHR and LHR-JFK-CLT-DEN. Return trip is the day before Thanksgiving, so seats are out there. DEN-LAX is waitlisted, but it's an E175 with no service to speak of so I'm not bothered.

Is your return routing LHR-JFK-CLT-DEN-LAX all on one PNR? If so, as far as I know, a SWU only upgrades up to three segments so the DEN-LAX wouldn't upgrade on the strength of the SWU. You would, however, be eligible for a Status based complimentary upgrade that will process from 72 hours before departure upon availability.

James
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:03 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
DEN-LAX is the first leg of the outbound trip. LHR-JFK-CLT-DEN is the return trip.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Is your return routing LHR-JFK-CLT-DEN-LAX all on one PNR? If so, as far as I know, a SWU only upgrades up to three segments so the DEN-LAX wouldn't upgrade on the strength of the SWU. You would, however, be eligible for a Status based complimentary upgrade that will process from 72 hours before departure upon availability.

James
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
No miracle needed. I can confirm AA SWUs, even those granted to AS Elites, can now be used for upgrades on BA Metal. That provides a little more utility as an AS Elite benefit. I have no desire to fly trans-oceanic and earn less than 100% EQM on a revenue ticket. AA y-up into PE and a SWU is viable since AA seems happy to Market BA flights with cheap Y fares that y-up to PE, book into P class on AA and earn 100% EQM in Mileage Plan.

James
The difference with the BA flights compared to AA is that you can't go from Y to J on BA like you can with AA metal....it's Y to PE or PE to J on BA. I do find it odd that you can't go from Y to PE on AA metal using SWUs.

Search this Thread