Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 5:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Wiki Link
How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
  3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code and Mileage Plan™ number.
  4. American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise you will be placed on the waitlist.
Fare class:
Business class upgrade C
First class upgrade A

Terms can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...es-upgrader-tc
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 29, 22, 9:29 pm
  #196  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 100K, UA PP
Posts: 2,838
Originally Posted by AinthePNW View Post
thanks for the replies. I called AA earlier today and talked to two different reps, shockingly got the same answer - that they can’t upgrade a codeshare flight. So, yes, it is a BA flight number for the AA segment - so no dice on the upgrade since it’s a codeshare and not on AA stock.
Again, just to be precise: it is NOT about AA stock. It is about marketed (AA flight number) and operated (AA logo on the tin can).

Plating/ticketing/stock is about the ticket number (AA starts with 001), which is generally (additionally) required by most airlines to use their confirmed FFP bennies, but not AA--at least in the case of their joint venture partners like BA.
zdfld likes this.
Erasmus is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:11 pm
  #197  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 11,485
A bit OT, but offered as history and context: Plates and plating originally referred to airline-specific metal imprints that were distributed to agents and used to create and validate paper tickets.

Erasmus, mtofell and Ford Fairlane like this.
dayone is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:14 pm
  #198  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 28
When Does the Second Code Arrive for 100k?

So I was 75k last year, and received 1 AA upgrade code via email on 6/6/22. I then hit 100k a month ago for this year on 6/28/22. When am I supposed to get a second code? Or would that not be until next Jan? Customer care/Mileage desk had no idea and said they’d get back to me via email with an answer—it’s been over a week. If anybody knows how it is supposed to work, that would be great! I’d love to book a trip and try to use 2 codes….
jhawk737 is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:38 pm
  #199  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Posts: 655
Originally Posted by jhawk737 View Post
So I was 75k last year, and received 1 AA upgrade code via email on 6/6/22. I then hit 100k a month ago for this year on 6/28/22. When am I supposed to get a second code? Or would that not be until next Jan? Customer care/Mileage desk had no idea and said they’d get back to me via email with an answer—it’s been over a week. If anybody knows how it is supposed to work, that would be great! I’d love to book a trip and try to use 2 codes….

You won't receive any "second code". Next year (2023) you will receive 2 codes since you qualified for 100k this year.
jhawk737 likes this.
985X is online now  
Old Aug 7, 22, 2:01 pm
  #200  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 492
After exhaustive EF searches trying to secure international C upgrade space on American, I was finally able to burn an upgrade cert on DCA > LAX > HND for next June. LAX to Tokyo is the only city pair where I am seeing consistent releasable C space. In June 2023, there are currently two AA departures — AA flight 169 departing at 12:55 a.m. and AA 27 departing at 10:25 a.m. I found upgrade space on both flights, but the former flight, AA169, seems to have more upgradable inventory available.

Hope this datapoint helps others who may be frustrated with the lack of confirmable upgrade space on AA. Waitlisting a transoceanic segment is a nonstarter for me, so glad to have locked in the upgrade at time of ticketing. 🙌🏼
Robert is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 7:44 am
  #201  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SJC/SFO. EWR/JFK
Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PL
Posts: 383
Nightmare.

I waitlisted my code for my girlfriend back to China. The gate agent accused her for cheating the system and mistakenly on the waitlist. One of the rudest agents at DFW. She also has the Alaska letter I received but the gate agent just didn’t know what it is.

I called the number 1-888-824-1816 but there is nothing phone agent could do because it’s under airport control.
lonelygod is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 5:11 pm
  #202  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 226
Data Point: was upgraded 7 days prior DFW-MAD, After being on the waitlist for many months, 10ish open first seats 1 week prior
Called in and they were immediately able to also upgrade my first leg BUR-DFW

Last edited by RaingerRain; Aug 25, 22 at 11:18 am
RaingerRain is online now  
Old Aug 8, 22, 10:54 pm
  #203  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG100K | oneworld Emerald
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
Nightmare.

I waitlisted my code for my girlfriend back to China. The gate agent accused her for cheating the system and mistakenly on the waitlist. One of the rudest agents at DFW. She also has the Alaska letter I received but the gate agent just didn’t know what it is.

I called the number 1-888-824-1816 but there is nothing phone agent could do because it’s under airport control.
That sounds awful. Did you get a sense that your girlfriend might have been upgraded if she'd been left on the waitlist? Infuriating behavior even if not. I hope there's an AA equivalent of 'Alaska Listens' for you, or stronger.
Ford Fairlane is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 11:05 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG100K | oneworld Emerald
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
After exhaustive EF searches trying to secure international C upgrade space on American, I was finally able to burn an upgrade cert on DCA > LAX > HND for next June. LAX to Tokyo is the only city pair where I am seeing consistent releasable C space. In June 2023, there are currently two AA departures — AA flight 169 departing at 12:55 a.m. and AA 27 departing at 10:25 a.m. I found upgrade space on both flights, but the former flight, AA169, seems to have more upgradable inventory available.

Hope this datapoint helps others who may be frustrated with the lack of confirmable upgrade space on AA. Waitlisting a transoceanic segment is a nonstarter for me, so glad to have locked in the upgrade at time of ticketing. 🙌🏼
I wouldn't mind using mine for a trip to Japan. I have a list of 21 international AA destinations I'd be fine using mine for, and a 2.5 month target window I'll be searching in, but Tokyo is near the top of that list of 21, so thanks for the tip!
Robert likes this.
Ford Fairlane is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 11:10 pm
  #205  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SJC/SFO. EWR/JFK
Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PL
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Ford Fairlane View Post
That sounds awful. Did you get a sense that your girlfriend might have been upgraded if she'd been left on the waitlist? Infuriating behavior even if not. I hope there's an AA equivalent of 'Alaska Listens' for you, or stronger.
The DFW-PVG flight left with 5 business class seats open this morning, and she was the only one on the waitlist.
lonelygod is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 11:52 pm
  #206  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG100K | oneworld Emerald
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
The DFW-PVG flight left with 5 business class seats open this morning, and she was the only one on the waitlist.
I hope you're able to get a satisfactory conciliatory gesture from AA. But this makes me even more certain I'll only use mine if I can get the UG applied and new ticket reissued within 24 hours of booking. Seems there's just a growing list of things that can go wrong otherwise. I'm sorry you had to uncover one more.
Ford Fairlane is offline  
Old Aug 11, 22, 4:27 pm
  #207  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 550
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
Nightmare.

I waitlisted my code for my girlfriend back to China. The gate agent accused her for cheating the system and mistakenly on the waitlist. One of the rudest agents at DFW. She also has the Alaska letter I received but the gate agent just didn’t know what it is.

I called the number 1-888-824-1816 but there is nothing phone agent could do because it’s under airport control.
I would actually consider filing a DOT complaint against AA here, at the very least they didn't honor the terms of the upgrade instrument and in addition to that there may be an element of discrimination.
zymm is offline  
Old Aug 11, 22, 4:50 pm
  #208  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Posts: 546
Might be too vague but does anyone have a good mileage run using two of these (AS 100K) from anywhere or even a single? They sound way too complicated for me to figure out. Though I am just being lazy. Thanks in advance
samosa likes this.
tobikosan is online now  
Old Aug 14, 22, 1:26 pm
  #209  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SJC/SFO. EWR/JFK
Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PL
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by zymm View Post
I would actually consider filing a DOT complaint against AA here, at the very least they didn't honor the terms of the upgrade instrument and in addition to that there may be an element of discrimination.
Originally Posted by Ford Fairlane View Post
That sounds awful. Did you get a sense that your girlfriend might have been upgraded if she'd been left on the waitlist? Infuriating behavior even if not. I hope there's an AA equivalent of 'Alaska Listens' for you, or stronger.
AA threw 12,500 miles to her account . Isn't that humiliating?

The price difference between Y and J for DFW-PVG is more than $8,000.

I'll file a DOT complaint for AA violating the upgrade code T&C.

A PSA for AS flyers' - we should manage our expectations (to 0) for gate upgrades using those codes. AA gate dragons are really good at protecting their seats.
lonelygod is offline  
Old Aug 14, 22, 1:42 pm
  #210  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 51,549
Originally Posted by zymm View Post
I would actually consider filing a DOT complaint against AA here, at the very least they didn't honor the terms of the upgrade instrument and in addition to that there may be an element of discrimination.
DOT does not regulate frequent flyer programs.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread