Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
  3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code and Mileage Plan™ number.
  4. American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise you will be placed on the waitlist.
Fare class:
Business class upgrade C
First class upgrade A

Terms can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/legal/terms-conditions/american-airlines-upgrader-tc
Print Wikipost

100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AinthePNW
thanks for the replies. I called AA earlier today and talked to two different reps, shockingly got the same answer - that they can’t upgrade a codeshare flight. So, yes, it is a BA flight number for the AA segment - so no dice on the upgrade since it’s a codeshare and not on AA stock.
Again, just to be precise: it is NOT about AA stock. It is about marketed (AA flight number) and operated (AA logo on the tin can).

Plating/ticketing/stock is about the ticket number (AA starts with 001), which is generally (additionally) required by most airlines to use their confirmed FFP bennies, but not AA--at least in the case of their joint venture partners like BA.
zdfld likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A bit OT, but offered as history and context: Plates and plating originally referred to airline-specific metal imprints that were distributed to agents and used to create and validate paper tickets.

Erasmus, mtofell and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:14 am

When Does the Second Code Arrive for 100k?

So I was 75k last year, and received 1 AA upgrade code via email on 6/6/22. I then hit 100k a month ago for this year on 6/28/22. When am I supposed to get a second code? Or would that not be until next Jan? Customer care/Mileage desk had no idea and said they’d get back to me via email with an answer—it’s been over a week. If anybody knows how it is supposed to work, that would be great! I’d love to book a trip and try to use 2 codes….
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by jhawk737
So I was 75k last year, and received 1 AA upgrade code via email on 6/6/22. I then hit 100k a month ago for this year on 6/28/22. When am I supposed to get a second code? Or would that not be until next Jan? Customer care/Mileage desk had no idea and said they’d get back to me via email with an answer—it’s been over a week. If anybody knows how it is supposed to work, that would be great! I’d love to book a trip and try to use 2 codes….

You won't receive any "second code". Next year (2023) you will receive 2 codes since you qualified for 100k this year.
jhawk737 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:01 pm

After exhaustive EF searches trying to secure international C upgrade space on American, I was finally able to burn an upgrade cert on DCA > LAX > HND for next June. LAX to Tokyo is the only city pair where I am seeing consistent releasable C space. In June 2023, there are currently two AA departures — AA flight 169 departing at 12:55 a.m. and AA 27 departing at 10:25 a.m. I found upgrade space on both flights, but the former flight, AA169, seems to have more upgradable inventory available.

Hope this datapoint helps others who may be frustrated with the lack of confirmable upgrade space on AA. Waitlisting a transoceanic segment is a nonstarter for me, so glad to have locked in the upgrade at time of ticketing. 🙌🏼
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Nightmare.

I waitlisted my code for my girlfriend back to China. The gate agent accused her for cheating the system and mistakenly on the waitlist. One of the rudest agents at DFW. She also has the Alaska letter I received but the gate agent just didn’t know what it is.

I called the number 1-888-824-1816 but there is nothing phone agent could do because it’s under airport control.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Data Point: was upgraded 7 days prior DFW-MAD, After being on the waitlist for many months, 10ish open first seats 1 week prior
Called in and they were immediately able to also upgrade my first leg BUR-DFW

Last edited by RaingerRain; Aug 25, 2022 at 10:18 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Nightmare.

I waitlisted my code for my girlfriend back to China. The gate agent accused her for cheating the system and mistakenly on the waitlist. One of the rudest agents at DFW. She also has the Alaska letter I received but the gate agent just didn’t know what it is.

I called the number 1-888-824-1816 but there is nothing phone agent could do because it’s under airport control.
That sounds awful. Did you get a sense that your girlfriend might have been upgraded if she'd been left on the waitlist? Infuriating behavior even if not. I hope there's an AA equivalent of 'Alaska Listens' for you, or stronger.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Robert
After exhaustive EF searches trying to secure international C upgrade space on American, I was finally able to burn an upgrade cert on DCA > LAX > HND for next June. LAX to Tokyo is the only city pair where I am seeing consistent releasable C space. In June 2023, there are currently two AA departures — AA flight 169 departing at 12:55 a.m. and AA 27 departing at 10:25 a.m. I found upgrade space on both flights, but the former flight, AA169, seems to have more upgradable inventory available.

Hope this datapoint helps others who may be frustrated with the lack of confirmable upgrade space on AA. Waitlisting a transoceanic segment is a nonstarter for me, so glad to have locked in the upgrade at time of ticketing. 🙌🏼
I wouldn't mind using mine for a trip to Japan. I have a list of 21 international AA destinations I'd be fine using mine for, and a 2.5 month target window I'll be searching in, but Tokyo is near the top of that list of 21, so thanks for the tip!
Robert likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ford Fairlane
That sounds awful. Did you get a sense that your girlfriend might have been upgraded if she'd been left on the waitlist? Infuriating behavior even if not. I hope there's an AA equivalent of 'Alaska Listens' for you, or stronger.
The DFW-PVG flight left with 5 business class seats open this morning, and she was the only one on the waitlist.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:52 pm

The DFW-PVG flight left with 5 business class seats open this morning, and she was the only one on the waitlist.
I hope you're able to get a satisfactory conciliatory gesture from AA. But this makes me even more certain I'll only use mine if I can get the UG applied and new ticket reissued within 24 hours of booking. Seems there's just a growing list of things that can go wrong otherwise. I'm sorry you had to uncover one more.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Nightmare.

I would actually consider filing a DOT complaint against AA here, at the very least they didn't honor the terms of the upgrade instrument and in addition to that there may be an element of discrimination.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Might be too vague but does anyone have a good mileage run using two of these (AS 100K) from anywhere or even a single? They sound way too complicated for me to figure out. Though I am just being lazy. Thanks in advance
samosa likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by zymm
I would actually consider filing a DOT complaint against AA here, at the very least they didn't honor the terms of the upgrade instrument and in addition to that there may be an element of discrimination.
Originally Posted by Ford Fairlane
AA threw 12,500 miles to her account . Isn't that humiliating?

The price difference between Y and J for DFW-PVG is more than $8,000.

I'll file a DOT complaint for AA violating the upgrade code T&C.

A PSA for AS flyers' - we should manage our expectations (to 0) for gate upgrades using those codes. AA gate dragons are really good at protecting their seats.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zymm
DOT does not regulate frequent flyer programs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.