100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 5:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Wiki Link
How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
  3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code and Mileage Plan™ number.
  4. American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise you will be placed on the waitlist.
Fare class:
Business class upgrade C
First class upgrade A

Terms can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...es-upgrader-tc
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 25, 22, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
Doesnt look like many of us are going to get to use these SWU's, especially with the price of fuel and tickets expensive. Does AS offer the option to trade them in for BoardRoom passes?
I'll trade you my board room passes for your SWU, I can find lots of uses as I'm sure others could as well.
Old Jul 25, 22, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K
Was able to snag 2 C upgrades using our 75K certs for a SEA-LHR flight in December. Glad I got to use these, as I won't be hitting 75K next year!
Old Jul 26, 22, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K
Now the bad news: original fare was booked in Q class, so even though the flight is 4800 miles, I'll only be earning 1200 EQM. Woof!
Old Jul 26, 22, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Yes, I had that happen last year with AA. Flew SEA-LHR in business class but only got 25% miles. O and Q are naughty fares to me!

Originally Posted by mpeterson78 View Post
Now the bad news: original fare was booked in Q class, so even though the flight is 4800 miles, I'll only be earning 1200 EQM. Woof!
Old Jul 26, 22, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
Originally Posted by mpeterson78 View Post
So I should book my original fare in Premium Economy to get 100% EQM?
Old Jul 27, 22, 12:45 am

Programs: DLSL, MVP100K, Accor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson View Post
I was searching for C inventory on EF and noticed that it was available on a married segment (SMF-DWF-MAD), but when searching for individual segments, no inventory was listed. I'm guessing by your comment that married segment logic is "meaningless" with EF AA C inventory searches?
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
This is completely unrelated to the false positive C space you will see using EF when searching whole itineraries rather than segment by segment (which also has nothing to do with how every now and then an agent can grab upgrade space despite showing C0 on EF). This "quirk" has been discussed ad nauseum on the EF thread and elsewhere, you must search segment by segment to see true availability.
I think this post from the AA SWU forum answers my question.
Old Jul 27, 22, 6:25 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by SimonT007 View Post
So I should book my original fare in Premium Economy to get 100% EQM?
We did, but that was a very painful jump in price for 100% eqm.
Old Jul 27, 22, 9:08 am

So I had an AA booking TLV-LHR-LAX with a SWU waitlisted on the LHR-LAX segment in November. The TLV-LHR was on BA and they cancelled due to a schedule change. The AA rep was able to put me on TLV-MIA-LAX in C since C was open for the married segments. It also pulled the SWU.

So for all of you on the waitlist. Hope for a schedule change!
NoLaGent and 985X like this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 1:16 pm

Programs: ASMVPG100
We purchased reasonably priced PE tickets to SCL and we’re on the upgrade waitlist for JFK-SCL which has 40 J seats. We wanted our connections to/from SEA to be AS numbered flights (not codeshares) and aa.com had several of those on offer (for less than connecting AA flights). I was surprised to see that the connections were in AA booking code C (business) for PE (Main was S). On the Alaska confirmation code, they’re shown as First Class (C) and we have first class seats. However, I’m not clear on what we’ll earn on the AS flights. Any ideas?
Old Jul 27, 22, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K
To confirm - upgrades will not happen online at time of booking (if available)? If I find C availability on EF in each segment and book those segments on the AA site, I still have to call AA to apply the upgrade? If it's not automatic, how does the waitlist work? Sorry, I searched and skimmed through the posts but am still unclear on the physical steps to take and do not want to purchase an economy ticket without upgrading asap.
Old Jul 27, 22, 3:23 pm

Yes, you have to call to apply them. The phone number listed in the email from Alaska connects you to AA's EXP line. There is usually a less than 90 second wait for an agent. If there is no availability, you'll be placed on the waitlist.
QT31415 and mpeterson78 like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta View Post
So I had an AA booking TLV-LHR-LAX with a SWU waitlisted on the LHR-LAX segment in November. The TLV-LHR was on BA and they cancelled due to a schedule change. The AA rep was able to put me on TLV-MIA-LAX in C since C was open for the married segments. It also pulled the SWU.

So for all of you on the waitlist. Hope for a schedule change!
I thought C space had to be available segment by segment not married segments in order to confirm C space.
Old Jul 28, 22, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 100K, UA PP
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I thought C space had to be available segment by segment not married segments in order to confirm C space.
This is a solid YMMV. Despite repeated, public disavowals over the past ~decade, I and many others can personally confirm instances where AA used married segment logic for C. I don't know whether that is a bug or a feature or what, but it is very much the case that it can and does happen, so always make sure to call and ask even if EF shows C0 for the segment you're interested in. (The converse, however, is true: if EF shows award C inventory for a segment when searched by itself, it should be bookable.)
Old Jul 28, 22, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
This is a solid YMMV. Despite repeated, public disavowals over the past ~decade, I and many others can personally confirm instances where AA used married segment logic for C. I don't know whether that is a bug or a feature or what, but it is very much the case that it can and does happen, so always make sure to call and ask even if EF shows C0 for the segment you're interested in. (The converse, however, is true: if EF shows award C inventory for a segment when searched by itself, it should be bookable.)
I don't even understand how this is possible since segments are waitlisted individually (literally, you choose which segments to waitlist)
Old Jul 28, 22, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
I see a lot more C availability on married segments so I'll have to give this a try and call. Do you ever call to verify availability before actually booking?

Search this Thread