Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
How it works:
  1. Book your flight at aa.com and include your Alaska Mileage Plan number.
  2. Call American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816
  3. Provide your unique American Airlines access code and Mileage Plan™ number.
  4. American Airlines will confirm your upgrade immediately if space is available, otherwise you will be placed on the waitlist.
Fare class:
Business class upgrade C
First class upgrade A

Terms can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/legal/terms-conditions/american-airlines-upgrader-tc
Print Wikipost

100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is that documented in some official T&C or statement somewhere? Because I received my single SWU and I used BofA EQMs to reach 75k.
No. Not that I know of. As another poster mentioned above, there was quite a bit of debate over what "special offers" meant/means in the statement "Status acquired via nomination, status match promotion, or special offers are not eligible." I think now, in the absence of certainty, I must've come down on the side of their not counting for earning AA upgrade certificates. And since I ended up with 100K EQM without the BoA offer, it became less important for me to be certain. Apologies if I caused anyone concern with my statements above about their not counting. I was clearly wrong.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Did you also receive the 50K RDM Bonus?
Nope, did not. I don’t think I expected that. I seem to recall that that was made clear somewhere.

Edit: found the T&C. Was made very clear.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33645538-post14.html
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Nope, did not. I don’t think I expected that. I seem to recall that that was made clear somewhere.

Edit: found the T&C. Was made very clear.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33645538-post14.html
The reason I was asking! I recall that Elites who achieved 75K with the CC spend EQM didn't receive the bonus as per the T&Cs but they also didn't receive the 50K RDM bonus when they continued to fly and passed 75K organically with flown EQM.

Once at 75K EQM, if any part of that that was from CC spend, IT negated the issuance of the RDM bonus but never considered that additional EQM from flying could pass the threshold organically. I believe that manual intervention was required to rectify the issue.

James
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Still havn't received my AA upgrade certs. 100K MVP earned last year. I'm curious if this is still true for anyone else.

Thanks
I texted customer care this morning and voila, they recent my codes for three upgrade certificates (one for 75K, two for 100K). The customer care agent stated that their records showed the codes were originally emailed on 6-6-2022. Once I received them, I can’t see how I would have missed the original email with the subject line titled “Exclusive upgrade codes: Limited-time international upgrades” – or maybe there was some sort of other hiccup. If you haven’t received your codes and hit 75K or 100K I would reach out to Alaska.

Per the previous posts, I qualified for 75K and 100K with 85K of flying and 20K CC bonus.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I texted customer care this morning and voila, they recent my codes for three upgrade certificates (one for 75K, two for 100K).
Wait, what? You received THREE certs? Has anyone else? I only received two, and presumed that was supposed to be the case, not that the 100K were in addition to the 75K.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
I texted customer care this morning and voila, they recent my codes for three upgrade certificates (one for 75K, two for 100K). The customer care agent stated that their records showed the codes were originally emailed on 6-6-2022. Once I received them, I can’t see how I would have missed the original email with the subject line titled “Exclusive upgrade codes: Limited-time international upgrades” – or maybe there was some sort of other hiccup. If you haven’t received your codes and hit 75K or 100K I would reach out to Alaska.

Per the previous posts, I qualified for 75K and 100K with 85K of flying and 20K CC bonus.
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Wait, what? You received THREE certs? Has anyone else? I only received two, and presumed that was supposed to be the case, not that the 100K were in addition to the 75K.
Excuse the last post, and correct Erasmus, only TWO vouchers sent. One for 75K and additional when hitting 100K. The voucher was sent as a single email stating I had reached 100K and received TWO AA one-way vouchers. Alaska double sent the email for 100K, I had just assumed it was a separate one for 75K. Boy, this is how rumors get started.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:43 pm

I have tried every route known to man and have had zero success getting a confirmed upgrade - even when ExpertFlyer showed there were C fares available. Would be interesting to hear of anyone who was actually able to get a confirmed upgrade rather than a waitlist. Also, most of the time I speak to an agent, they are less than thrilled to look at options.
Update- was able to get confirmed on a flight to SCL from DFW for May of 2023. Only waitlisted for the outbound flight to DFW, which is under three hours. I was on the phone with the agent for 80 minutes to process it, but it’s done.

Last edited by Gkelly1999; Jun 29, 2022 at 9:06 pm
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Gkelly1999
I have tried every route known to man and have had zero success getting a confirmed upgrade - even when ExpertFlyer showed there were C fares available. Would be interesting to hear of anyone who was actually able to get a confirmed upgrade rather than a waitlist. Also, most of the time I speak to an agent, they are less than thrilled to look at options.
See my post #96. Found EF inventory, booked on AA and was immediately upgraded with a phone call. Pretty sure my routing is known to man.

If you peruse this thread you will find many other similar examples.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to look for C upgrade space (under upgrades and awards) not C fares (under flight availability). They are not the same thing.

If there is C upgrade space available your SWU will clear immediately.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:15 am

While I agree that confirmable (C) space is hard to come by, AA is releasing some space in advance on routes like DFW > LHR. Availability at least in October looks decent. AA flight 78 on 10/9 shows C5 and C1 on 10/11, for example.
Gkelly1999 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Robert
While I agree that confirmable (C) space is hard to come by, AA is releasing some space in advance on routes like DFW > LHR. Availability at least in October looks decent. AA flight 78 on 10/9 shows C5 and C1 on 10/11, for example.
If you can stomach the daytime flight - there is typically weekday (M-Th) availability on the daytime flights to London. Coming from Seattle, we usually have to fly all day anyways to get to a gateway city, so taking a red eye and then the daytime flight isn't so bad and you arrive in London early enough to take public transport into zone 1-3 and avoid the schlep into town during rush hour.

If you are trying to get somewhere with fewer options (FCO, AMS, BCN), I wish you luck finding your rainbow llamcorn.

lala
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn
See my post #96. Found EF inventory, booked on AA and was immediately upgraded with a phone call. Pretty sure my routing is known to man.

If you peruse this thread you will find many other similar examples.
You missed the sarcasm in my post. One should not have to try every departure city on the west coast and check four different cities in Europe and two in South America over a four month period, only to call AA and get an agent who barely understands the process and tells you that there is no confirmed upgrade even though EF shows C fares available or that there is space available and charges your card only to come back after they try to process the upgrade to tell you that she was wrong and there is no confirmed upgrade. It is an antiquated system that makes you complete an actual reservation before you know if there is confirmed space available. Glad you were able to use your certificate. I basically think they are useless.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You missed the sarcasm in my post. One should not have to try every departure city on the west coast and check four different cities in Europe and two in South America over a four month period, only to call AA and get an agent who barely understands the process and tells you that there is no confirmed upgrade even though EF shows C fares available or that there is space available and charges your card only to come back after they try to process the upgrade to tell you that she was wrong and there is no confirmed upgrade. It is an antiquated system that makes you complete an actual reservation before you know if there is confirmed space available. Glad you were able to use your certificate. I basically think they are useless.
You are doing it wrong. But feel free not to use them. More upgrade space for the rest of us.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You need to look for C upgrade space (under upgrades and awards) not C fares (under flight availability). They are not the same thing.

If there is C upgrade space available your SWU will clear immediately.
So only took 80 minutes on a call for the representative to process, but was able to get confirmed upgrade from DFW to SCL for May 2023. Only waitlisted on one short domestic flight to DFW on the outbound. The agent had to keep reaching out to a different department to complete the transaction, but glad she took the time to do so. Not all agents are as diligent and helpful.
lalala, Robert and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I've signed up for the Expert Flyer professional mode. And it seems that some routes C class is only gonna show up on a married segment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.