Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade schenanigans out of BZE and costing them my AS loyalty

Upgrade schenanigans out of BZE and costing them my AS loyalty

Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Upgrade schenanigans out of BZE & lotsa lies

(fine, posts are right - rant over. mods you can delete.)

Last edited by UAPremierExec; Mar 11, 2022 at 11:47 am
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't ever think I have seen such a long rant on FT. I have to admit I stopped reading after the " waitlist" image but still following.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Now that you've gotten this off your chest, do you feel better? I'm totally serious!!! And I totally get your frustration at the moment.

Yes, traveling long distances in an essentially domestic configuration can be tough. One of the flights on a long itinerary is usually a red-eye, which is a function of time and distance. Finally, sometimes complimentary upgrades don't come through -- even when they should. You rightfully submitted a complaint (and, btw, AS WILL investigate this). However, as AS told you, they are NOT a right. If you need first class, you should pay for first class. And, btw, if you look across these forums, the same thing happens at ALL US airlines surrounding upgrades.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by formeraa
Now that you've gotten this off your chest, do you feel better? I'm totally serious!!! And I totally get your frustration at the moment.

Yes, traveling long distances in an essentially domestic configuration can be tough. One of the flights on a long itinerary is usually a red-eye, which is a function of time and distance. Finally, sometimes complimentary upgrades don't come through -- even when they should. You rightfully submitted a complaint (and, btw, AS WILL investigate this). However, as AS told you, they are NOT a right. If you need first class, you should pay for first class. And, btw, if you look across these forums, the same thing happens at ALL US airlines surrounding upgrades.
Oh I get it - normally if we get skipped or whatnot, we know to speak up, and viola, its fixed. This time, no. Just pissed because I had a better itinerary on AA and gave it up for my alleged loyalty to Alaska, and got burned. At least with AA, we KNOW what we're going to get. Oddly enough, my upgrade % on AA is higher than on AS. Go figure!
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by formeraa
Finally, sometimes complimentary upgrades don't come through -- even when they should.
Paid for with previous flights. They aren’t a gift from Ben Minicucci.

It’s like those “free” drinks in Premium Class that are paid for with the seat fee or (again) previous flights (elite status).

We certainly don’t have a right to get an upgrade on a particular flight, but we have (IMHO) have a right to a fair allocation of available upgrades according to the rules.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Missed out on the OP's post... wonder if its like the fun experienced in HAV (for those that recall AS' glorious service to that communist abode).

Seems AS does have a knack at serving communist destinations then dropping them (CCCP anyone?) I digress...

A bit of background- agents could not access sabre IIRC in HAV so no upgrades could happen there. A friend and I thankfully read about this and used GGUC's to confirm ahead of time. Heck, bags could only be tagged to LAX.

I'd imagine AS' service is better in BZE. Last time I was there however, I was upgraded on DL as an AS elite. Been a minute- overdue for a visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.