Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I should/shouldn't switch to AS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You moved all your Hawaii flying to AS because well, you live near OAK?
That Saturday morning OAK-OGG flight on AS was great. Fares often around $200 and basically a guaranteed upgrade. I would get to my hotel by noon; plenty of time to enjoy the day.

Then on Sunday night if UA was flying the 752 to SFO, I'd take UA back on the redeye, pay for F (lie flat), eat my burger and go to sleep. 2 days and 1 night in Maui; great way to reload on vitamin D without burning any PTO.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:04 pm

So most of what you’ll read below is contrary to prevailing FT “wisdom.”

Pick flights based on whatever offers the best schedule, and be damned with FF freebies. It’s a hook for the feeble.

If you want free business class trips abroad, get a cash back charge card or at minimum one that gives you virtual dollars/points towards travel. If you can’t travel when you want to, what are FF points worth, nothing! If you’re wasting your life in an airport, because you’re waiting for a less convenient flight for points, “status,” or clinging to the hope of an upgrade, is that really the best use of your time?

I can buy F on any flight, yet I have no problem with Southwest when they might offer best schedule. Other cases, it’s who can get to work or home as Quickly as possible. I still manage hefty status in multiple airlines. Take it, it means nothing. The points mean nothing, and they’re worth nothing. All the airlines are basically the same.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Mar 4, 2022 at 6:22 pm
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Is AS a decent airline? I've never flown them, so would love any insight.
I actually really like flying AS. I've had a few trip to Alaska over the last couple of years and they've been the best in terms of price and schedule. With some 2000+ mile sectors it's also good for my BAEC Tier Point earning. Food is generally good, and the beverage choice is better than AA in my view. FAs are usually friendly and have a positive attitude. The only criticism would be when there's a schedule change - with complex itineraries you'll often need to call in, and can't actually see on the app what might have changed. Lounge access when booking F tickets is definitely a perk, although as a OWE it's available to me irrespective of class of travel.

The only real drawback I can think of is that their route network isn't as expansive as other carriers so you may need to mix and match depending on where you're flying from / to.

So, are they a decent airline? As far as I am concerned, it's a yes. However, that's based on my specific travel patterns and my OW status. Your perspective / requirements may be different.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
So most of what you’ll read below is contrary to prevailing FT “wisdom.”

I can buy F on any flight, yet I have no problem with Southwest when they might offer best schedule. Other cases, it’s who can get to work or home as Quickly as possible. I still manage hefty status in multiple airlines. Take it, it means nothing. The points mean nothing, and they’re worth nothing. All the airlines are basically the same.
As someone who isn't afraid of flying WN, I wouldn't trade the travel I took on the several million miles I've redeemed in varying degrees of cushy seats over the years for anything. Although I may be under some insane delusion, I expect that certain IROPS and other irregular travel scenarios were much better handled with high status than if I were Mr. Joseph Blow, even in a paid premium cabin.

That said, the game isn't anything close to what it used to be. That that said, one can do a whole lot worse than loyalty (feigned or actual) to Alaska Airlines these days.

BTW, my worthless AS points took two of us on EK F last September, LA J last December/January, and am already booked with LA J LAX/SCL for next December/January.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by kbooks66
Generally I split my loyalty between Delta/Alaska. They are by far my two favorite *Edit* DOMESTIC airlines. I do Delta more often for longhaul and Alaska for my West Coast Travelling. This results in me having low tier status on both.
I do almost exactly the same. I like to fly E175s in the solo F seat, and AS has no scope clause with its pilots, which means no cramped CRJs. DL has the best service of the big three, it’s FAs aren’t unionized and it often shows. I’d be 75k if I moved my paid F DL seats to AA and credited to AS, but not worth having to fly AA.

I’ve booked nearly 50 segments this year, almost 90% DL, AS, and many of those on QX and OO E175s.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The title says it all. Current AA Plat, and I'm absolutely furious over the new loyalty program. Just call it American Credit Card Company. Anyways, I digress... Basically, what attracts me to AS is the loyalty program that rewards actual flying, the solid FC food, and the fact that it's part of OW now. Is AS a decent airline? I've never flown them, so would love any insight.
As a low-level elite who has to streeeetch on his tippy toes to retain a status level I've held like MVPG, A-List, Delta Gold Medallion, UA Premier Gold (and some years won't make it, I simply don't want to do status runs, planes are a means to an end not the end in itself)... I actually think the AA changes aren't terrible. You can add some Loyalty Points from a card that costs $0 to hold (Citi AA MIleup, no annual fee- arguably AA > DL in this respect), SimplyMiles, etc. to go along with flying.

Thank you for the threads, will have a look. Main objectives would be 1. upgrades 2. checked bags 3. milage accrual.
I'm from the greater philly area, but go to school in the LA area, so most of my routing would have to be either LAX-SEA-PHL or LAX-EWR. That would be the main pattern, getting from one coast to the next, which is a little hiccup because AS has much more of a west coast presence. For smaller airports that only have service from the big 3, I would probably just fly AA and credit it to AS as you said. I understand there are some partner benefits, which is appealing.
I sincerely hope you don't have to fly AS through SEA during IROPS. AS does some pretty spectacular pooch-****ing for that when this happens (somewhat infrequently). Transcon upgrade chances on a lot of East Coast-SEA are "LOL, good luck buddy". LAX is better, depending. The miles value is solid. The service is solid.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I seriously doubt that it's worth it for you. Any additional value you get out of the FF program will most likely be lost by paying higher fares, not to mention the value of your time.
This is basically where I land.

Originally Posted by ashill
OP, especially since AA's new system makes it far easier to retain status than to gain it, I would at the least fly AS on a trip or two (crediting to AAdvantage) before switching frequent flyer programs. Switching the airline you fly and the airline you credit to need not happen at the same moment for partners, and it need not be a complete switch either.
Yeah, if OP does want to do this, "try before you buy" is called for.
Here's my insight after 36 years of flying AS. It is a decent airline, and it doesn't work for everyone. The biggest downside over the years have been reliability of route sustainability on newer markets. Oh you bought that timeshare in (pick your city) Mexico because you could reliably fly there on AS? You moved all your Hawaii flying to AS because well, you live near OAK?
Yeah, this is a big one.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I can buy F on any flight... I still manage hefty status in multiple airlines.
You and I (and OP) are not quite the same. I'd rapidly run out of money if I bought F on any flight I took. I've never managed hefty status in ANY airline. FT has proven pretty awesome in helping me "punch above my (financial) weight" as far as my travel experiences go. I wouldn't chase status profligately but a six digit total of flights in cabins I can't afford isn't bad.

That being said, sure, for some things status and loyalty isn't worth it.

BTW, my worthless AS points took two of us on EK F last September, LA J last December/January, and am already booked with LA J LAX/SCL for next December/January.
Yeah, worthless AS points got me on CX F. Worthless US points got me on LX/LH F. Worthless UA points got me in TG F. Worthless CX points got me short notice AA J travel. And so on.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 9, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
OP - since you're a student, I'm assuming you can't indiscriminately spend on an AA card to keep status. I'm also a student; I'm from Boston but go to college in the Bay Area.

My flight patterns that get me to MVPG on AS (i.e., lots of cheap BOS-SFO/SFO-BOS transcons) would not be nearly enough to get me even to AA Gold without putting $8000-$14000 a year on a credit card, which is income I simply do not have as a student (plus, I want to move most of my CC spending to transferable points once I start making real income anyways).

However, flying 7 transcon roundtrips on AS is enough to get me to MVPG, and the flying experience with status has been substantially better than without. For example, having virtually guaranteed premium class upgrades and being able to burn GGUs on transcons is a major quality of life improvement.

If your spending patterns match mine, I'd suggest giving AS a try, at least making a EWR-LAX-EWR run for example - if you're current AA Plat, you should at least be able to make AS MVP with the two AS segments and flying AA only otherwise. You'll give up on upgrades on AA, but will at least have free PC where you wouldn't otherwise due to having to CC spend for AA status.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
OP - since you're a student, I'm assuming you can't indiscriminately spend on an AA card to keep status. I'm also a student; I'm from Boston but go to college in the Bay Area.

My flight patterns that get me to MVPG on AS (i.e., lots of cheap BOS-SFO/SFO-BOS transcons) would not be nearly enough to get me even to AA Gold without putting $8000-$14000 a year on a credit card, which is income I simply do not have as a student (plus, I want to move most of my CC spending to transferable points once I start making real income anyways).
Tuition payments (or whatever school expenses) on a card in OP’s name.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is probably not the right forum for this discussion but credit card spend is not where the easy status is in the new AA program. There are about 4 different threads on the AA forum about this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.