FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   El Al (LY) Award Redemptions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2069034-el-al-ly-award-redemptions.html)

NWplatinum Feb 16, 2022 10:54 am

El Al (LY) Award Redemptions

I can’t find any El Al award space using Alaska miles on the website. Does El Al award show on the AS website or do you have to call in?

eponymous_coward Feb 16, 2022 12:06 pm

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/el-al-israel-airlines?lid=airline-partners:partners-el-al

Fly EL AL to Israel and earn Mileage Plan miles.”

earn, not “earn and redeem”.

Notice they aren’t on the award chart anywhere.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan

tai4de2 Feb 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Just pointing out that the page for JL also doesn't say "redeem" either, but clearly redeeming is possible. (I'm not disputing that redemption isn't available on El Al, just being pedantic.)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/japan-airlines?lid=airline-partners:partners-japan
[sorry, the link contains a digraph that the board interprets as an emoji, and I don't know how to fix it]

Explore the vibrant expanse of Japanese culture while earning Mileage Plan miles

Calculon Feb 16, 2022 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2 (Post 33997815)
Just pointing out that the page for JL also doesn't say "redeem" either, but clearly redeeming is possible. (I'm not disputing that redemption isn't available on El Al, just being pedantic.)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/japan-airlines?lid=airline-partners:partners-japan
[sorry, the link contains a digraph that the board interprets as an emoji, and I don't know how to fix it]

In the spirit of pedantry, it does have a link to the chart under the bold-faced heading "Award travel on Japan Airlines".
:D

RaingerRain Feb 16, 2022 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum (Post 33997285)
I can’t find any El Al award space using Alaska miles on the website. Does El Al award show on the AS website or do you have to call in?

I called Alaska asking about this a few times and it seems like they were going to try to do this before Covid, but has since been put on the back burner. I have some family members that were able to purchase connecting flights on Alaska through el al, TLV to LAX El Al, connecting to Alaska LAX-SJC, Which means there is codeshares at least one way call my I hope at some point there is a codeshare the other way.

Eastbay1K Feb 17, 2022 8:28 am

Originally Posted by RaingerRain (Post 33999094)
I called Alaska asking about this a few times and it seems like they were going to try to do this before Covid, but has since been put on the back burner. I have some family members that were able to purchase connecting flights on Alaska through el al, TLV to LAX El Al, connecting to Alaska LAX-SJC, Which means there is codeshares at least one way call my I hope at some point there is a codeshare the other way.

Purchasing connecting flights on the same ticket has nothing to do with code shares. It may or may not affect the fares and mileage earnings.

RaingerRain Feb 17, 2022 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 33999981)
Purchasing connecting flights on the same ticket has nothing to do with code shares. It may or may not
affect the fares and mileage earnings.

if you purchase a cash ticket on El Al, And the first flight is operated by them, the second one is Alaska, then el al has codeshares some Alaska routes, no?

eponymous_coward Feb 17, 2022 9:03 am

Originally Posted by RaingerRain (Post 34000030)
if you purchase a cash ticket on El Al, And the first flight is operated by them, the second one is Alaska, then el al has codeshares some Alaska routes, no?

No. It does not require a codeshare.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining

You can literally buy tickets that have AS and BR segments, as well as AS and DL segments. You do not need to codeshare to interline.

RaingerRain Feb 17, 2022 10:10 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 34000082)
No. It does not require a codeshare.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining

You can literally buy tickets that have AS and BR segments, as well as AS and DL segments. You do not need to codeshare to interline.

ok, thanks I did not know this,
but how can You tell it is an interline rather then codeshare?
also if there is an interline one way is there a interline the other way? Can I book an el al flight with Alaska? (With cash)

Doors Closing Feb 17, 2022 11:15 am

LY has been a partner since July 2019 and the question is when will Mileage Plan redemptions on LY flights be possible. As above, it was the plan pre-covid to have an LY chart, is there be any news/timeframe regarding using AS miles on LY flights? Cannot seem to find any online...

eponymous_coward Feb 17, 2022 11:37 am

Originally Posted by RaingerRain (Post 34000293)
ok, thanks I did not know this,
but how can You tell it is an interline rather then codeshare?
also if there is an interline one way is there a interline the other way? Can I book an el al flight with Alaska? (With cash)

Codeshares have additional flight numbers. E.g. AS 1/LY 6001 (this is 100% made up as an example). Same flight, different numbering. AS 1 shows up as an LY flight and could be shown as such on an LY ticket (probably with a “flown by Alaska Airlines” disclaimer).

Interlining implies both airlines can have flights on the ticket so your “interline the other way” question doesn’t make sense. If you’re asking “can I go to Alaskaair.com and buy a SEA-TLV ticket that has LY flights” the answer is no. But if you went to Expedia and got a TLV-SFO-SEA-ANC-OTZ ticket issued, AS is probably flying some of those segments (at least ANC-OTZ). Does that explain this?

PS: AS partner award tickets are interlined, not code shared, unless QX or OO is flying the plane with the Inuk gentleman on the tail.

RaingerRain Feb 17, 2022 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 34000582)
Codeshares have additional flight numbers. E.g. AS 1/LY 6001 (this is 100% made up as an example). Same flight, different numbering. AS 1 shows up as an LY flight and could be shown as such on an LY ticket (probably with a “flown by Alaska Airlines” disclaimer).

Interlining implies both airlines can have flights on the ticket so your “interline the other way” question doesn’t make sense. If you’re asking “can I go to Alaskaair.com and buy a SEA-TLV ticket that has LY flights” the answer is no. But if you went to Expedia and got a TLV-SFO-SEA-ANC-OTZ ticket issued, AS is probably flying some of those segments (at least ANC-OTZ). Does that explain this?

PS: AS partner award tickets are interlined, not code shared, unless QX or OO is flying the plane with the Inuk gentleman on the tail.

thx

NWplatinum Feb 18, 2022 9:35 am

The only way to get to TLV on an award seems to be Iberia, Royal Air Maroc, Finnair, RJ, and BA (but they never release J space LHR-TLV-LHR).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I found some space on Finnair having to overnight in HEL.

RaingerRain Feb 18, 2022 10:03 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum (Post 34003308)
The only way to get to TLV on an award seems to be Iberia, Royal Air Maroc, Finnair, RJ, and BA (but they never release J space LHR-TLV-LHR).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I found some space on Finnair having to overnight in HEL.

yeh, I see the same thing, Ibearia and royal air Maroc is new so that is nice, and the cheapest one is the fin air but most of them require a overnight in HEL and they don’t have award space every day. Also BA charges super high taxes and fees so
i think it is hard to justify paying that when you are already using miles.
That’s why, just like you I can wait for el al award redemptions.
they are currently the only airline with LAX-TLV direct.
the one thing I was wondering is American flys from DFW MIA and JFK to tlv, So you are able to pay cash for LAX-(MIA DFW JFK)-TLV, but I was not able to find these flights using Alaska miles.

NWplatinum Feb 18, 2022 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by RaingerRain (Post 34003395)
yeh, I see the same thing, Ibearia and royal air Maroc is new so that is nice, and the cheapest one is the fin air but most of them require a overnight in HEL and they don’t have award space every day. Also BA charges super high taxes and fees so
i think it is hard to justify paying that when you are already using miles.
That’s why, just like you I can wait for el al award redemptions.
they are currently the only airline with LAX-TLV direct.
the one thing I was wondering is American flys from DFW MIA and JFK to tlv, So you are able to pay cash for LAX-(MIA DFW JFK)-TLV, but I was not able to find these flights using Alaska miles.

I searched every day and did not see the AA flights for awards. I opted for a Finnair flight with an overnight in HEL, and then RJ on the return with an overnight in JFK all in J. The RJ rates are reasonable in J.