El Al (LY) Award Redemptions

Old Feb 21, 22, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Kimpton Inner Circle Diamond
This search has got me wondering since AS is in OW now and not it's own alliance with multiple partners, when are they going to let you partner with multiple OW airlines in the same award? It use to be you could only do AS with ONE of their partners per award. But now that they are in the OW alliance it should seem we should be able to mix and match airlines in one award.
Old Feb 22, 22, 1:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
This search has got me wondering since AS is in OW now and not it's own alliance with multiple partners, when are they going to let you partner with multiple OW airlines in the same award? It use to be you could only do AS with ONE of their partners per award. But now that they are in the OW alliance it should seem we should be able to mix and match airlines in one award.
There's been talk among the bloggers of it happening early this year, but it's never been officially announced by Alaska as a future benefit that I know of. So it may be tomorrow, a long time from now, or never.

One thing we can be sure of: The moment it goes live, FT will be all over it. Nobody should fear that they're going to miss it.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 9:01 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
There's been talk among the bloggers of it happening early this year, but it's never been officially announced by Alaska as a future benefit that I know of. So it may be tomorrow, a long time from now, or never.
I'm not a blogger, but my understanding is maybe very late this year or early next year.
Calculon likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post

One thing we can be sure of: The moment it goes live, FT will be all over it. Nobody should fear that they're going to miss it.
If it’s like MH awards, nobody is going to miss it (or use it unless they’re a 100k with a zillion miles). CX and BA’s versions are pretty expensive for short routes; they get better for very long trips in the sense of not being a waste of miles, and in fact can be quite good, but they’re still pretty expensive.
Calculon likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 10:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
I'm not a blogger, but my understanding is maybe very late this year or early next year.
The date is clearly a moving target.. I'm inclined to trust you more than the travel bloggers, generally

Anyway, nothing I do will affect the outcome. So if they become real, that's when I'll start to really care.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 23, 22, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Kimpton Inner Circle Diamond
But isn’t this sort of a violation of being in an alliance? Isn’t the whole point of being in an alliance so you can mix and match awards with partners? I feel like AS isn’t acting as one should when they are partners in an alliance.
Old Feb 23, 22, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

AS adding multi-partner awards is a big IT project, at a time of lots of big IT projects.
Calculon and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 23, 22, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
But isn’t this sort of a violation of being in an alliance? Isn’t the whole point of being in an alliance so you can mix and match awards with partners? I feel like AS isn’t acting as one should when they are partners in an alliance.
Try matching multiple carriers on awards on BA or CX. No, seriously. This is what they do for “mixed carrier awards”.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/1...-flight-chart/

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/the-...r-award-chart/

That right there is a MINIMUM of 30k to redeem on two or more partners. CX won’t let you do more than two without a CX flight on the ticket.

Are you going to tell founding members of the alliance they’re in violation of being in the alliance? Honestly, they don’t care if it takes AS a while to implement multi carrier awards and AS is not required to let you do any arbitrary thing as a type of award, as clearly BA, CX and AA have very different award systems. AS would be just fine doing some kind of “starts at 60k for 1500 miles of flying” award chart for multiple carriers and keeping their current charts (which is pretty close to how CX works).

Given how this has gone so far (complete turd in the punch bowl with MH and AT, mediocre at best with RJ, IB) I wouldn’t get your hopes up for this.
jsguyrus likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 23, 22 at 1:43 pm

Search this Thread