Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Launches First-Ever Flight Subscription Service (Flight Pass) in CA, AZ, NV and UT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Launches First-Ever Flight Subscription Service (Flight Pass) in CA, AZ, NV and UT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the forum wants to take up a collection, I'd be happy to sign up for a subscription and do some experiments to see what it books into.
samosa and anteater like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
They couldn't have designed this around routes of less appeal to me if they tried lol
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
If the forum wants to take up a collection, I'd be happy to sign up for a subscription and do some experiments to see what it books into.
Even after chatting with their dedicated subscription support I still have no way to actually buy a subscription. Lots of kinks to work out on this one.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
So has nobody on here bought this yet?

Not going to do well if their most nerdy, passionate customers (us) aren’t into it.
notquiteaff, olouie and banana0692 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
My two cents, this is going to be a flop. It is geared for California residents with almost no discount for intrastate travel. It might work if it allowed different time zone travel for added monthly cost but essentially California travel, it's a hard no go for me and like the vast majority of high mileage fliers.
be_rettSEA and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
A couple months ago, I talked to some FTers asking their suggestions if I get admitted into a top school in the Bay Area. Since the rent is crazy high there, I figured it *might* be cheaper for me to go to school by plane, if I commute less than 3X weekly from LAX. I calculated the cost, it's still cheaper for me to commute by air, if I use miles and book in advance and buy in bulk where there is a sale. Then I looked at UA personal travel program, which you deposit minimum $10k/yr, and get 2% discount for deeply discounted economy fares. Not competitive, so I figured it'd be better if I become a free agent and book whatever cheapest on LAX-SFO for me future commute. I was thrilled when I saw this travel pass, then just by reading the comments here, I figured it's gonna be useless for me. $64 LAX-SFO is not that competitive, and up to 2X roundtrips per month means I have to buy 6 sets of this to facilitate my future commute needs, not worth it, unless it's guaranteed I can get my $25 baggage voucher roundtrip
AndyPatterson and samosa like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:47 am

https://crankyflier.com/2022/02/17/a...a-flight-pass/

Alex Corey, Alaska’s MD of Revenue Products & Strategy, told me yesterday that the airline had been developing the idea of entering the subscription game for years — they were just looking for the right time and opportunity. About a year ago they began working with Caravelo on a firm plan, and yesterday all that hard work became public with the rollout of the Flight Pass and Flight Pass Pro.

The over-arching idea was to create something that would play into the never-ending appetite for subscriptions. Alex rattled off all sorts of numbers, including that subscriptions would reach $1.5 trillion by 2025 and there is a growing trend of “power subscribers” who have more than 10 subscriptions at a time. With the pandemic trends of people being able to work from anywhere along with wanting “safe exploration” and nearby vacations, Alaska figured it had finally found its opportunity.

First, Alaska had to define a target market, so it could build the right product. Initially that was the price-sensitive traveler who liked the idea of having an “incredibly low fixed price” that would allow them to plan their travels out for a full year. A college student going home (or on spring break) was an obvious example of someone with regular travel needs and a low budget. That defines the Flight Pass market.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
If they are targeting price sensitive market this was a big miss. What budget traveler is going to pay up front for tickets with restrictions and unclear premium up-charges, which will most likely impact the dates they want like holidays for college students.
Resplendent and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Geez. What a confusing, complicated, and 99.9% useless tool for most travelers. If AS wanted to jump on a fad bandwagon, why didn't they just invent some sort of fake NFT travel tool? Promote it with some Hollywood B-list celebs, and it'd be a hit!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:16 am

My initial reaction before any substantive analysis is that it's a fair deal, at least for my purposes. It would be pretty compelling assuming this triggered the Amex flight credits for me since I'd literally use all of it for SFO - LAS and occasionally to PHX.

I'll probably try it, if only to get some help on my way to the 24 segments.

PS - I'm assuming we get all of our elite benefits and not like the dreaded "X" fare treatment.

- Question - Anyone know if it's on a calendar or 30 period on sign up? In other words, if I sign up now for the fee, the moment March's fee hits, I can use it? Or, the 30 day clocks from today and won't be able to use it until the fee hits again at around March 17th?

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 17, 2022 at 11:26 am Reason: added question...
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by olouie
Even after chatting with their dedicated subscription support I still have no way to actually buy a subscription. Lots of kinks to work out on this one.
I will guess that AS will receive plenty of feedback from Flyer Talkers if they ask for help prioritizing the list of IT items to fix. I will also guess that this subscription, as currently positioned, is nowhere near the top of the list.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:40 am

So, I've just successfully signed up for it and will get my credit on March 1st, it appears. Also, had the message "temporarily not accepting American Express." LOL...Hey, $49 per month which I will 100% easily use, why not?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
To sum it up it sounds like this is a bad deal for most
being limited to mostly intra California flights, having expensive potential changing surcharges not to mention that on top of the subscription all flights cost $14.5 ish in taxes and fees, and really,
They just had to do it through a third party, oh my.
also being locked in for a year And having your credits expire. And on the day of launch they website is not even working and people are having trouble booking flights
not to mention that it does not come with free baggage, a guaranteed upgrade, and we don’t even know what fair class we are put in.
and most importantly it will cost more then buying the flights directly from Alaska’s
even the cheapest plan seems to be $70ish a one way intra-California flight

I hope the add more routes, and potentially make this more valuable, but I know it probably won’t happen
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This was exciting until I read the T&Cs.

From MRY my only option is SAN and I'm not all that fond of SAN once or less per year. I was expecting this to be segment-based so I could do MRY-SAN-PHX/SMF/STS, but only a handful of destinations are bookable roundtrip vs multi-city to start with without the Pass anyway.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
They likely could have made this much easier by paying a monthly fee to get a unique discount code that is good for say 20% off any available fare for particular routes up to XX number of times per year. This would still keep people looking at Alaska first, some won't use it--so they still get the breakage they may be hoping for, mileage runners could still have their fun, and they already have the existing infrastructure to manage it.

Nobody likes a "discount" which then has a bunch of hoops to jump through every time--never quite knowing how much your chosen flight will really cost and what the trade off would be given that on many of the routes there are several competitors. Having RT as the only option basically kills it for anybody needing flexibility. There are many times when I would prefer to take one carrier short haul from SFO but another has a better time/fare one way or the other. Paying a monthly fee to potentially pay both a higher fare and be inconvenienced is not a great combination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.