Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Launches First-Ever Flight Subscription Service (Flight Pass) in CA, AZ, NV and UT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Launches First-Ever Flight Subscription Service (Flight Pass) in CA, AZ, NV and UT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
I'm considering this after my F9 100k status expires at the end of the year. I intend to utilize it for my trips to LAS every other month or so. And thinking about parlaying F9 status with a AS status match.

Visconti , would you do it again?
Hey Troopers.

Sorry for the late reply, only reading it now. Yes, I will continue the service. Thus far, my experience with Flight Pass has been excellent, and they've delivered the product as advertised and as I understood it. I've saved money on all my SFO - LAS flights, have been upgraded to F on all of them, and during the rare occasions when I do call for a change, they've picked up the phone immediately. The flights appear on my AS app, elite perks always conferred and it's the AS experience during the flights as I've come to expect.

So, for my purposes, I will definitely continue my subscription--it's a no-brainer for me. While I do appreciate hedging with F9 & WN, if the price is even remotely similar, the AS experience really is vastly superior, in my view.
Troopers likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:06 am

Sounds like they have made lots of much need improvements to the service. Might be more worthwhile now.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Sounds like they have made lots of much need improvements to the service. Might be more worthwhile now.
Ah, as I'd imagine with newly launched services, there will be some improvements & refinements along the way.

For my purposes, I've never experienced any issues since signing up when it first launched. Initially, my only gripe was that they didn't take Amex, which they fixed addressed almost immediately. I suppose, it also helps that I fly the SFO - LAS route so frequently that I don't need to utilize the SDC feature and rarely, if ever, need to cancel and rebook. Moreover, when the 1st hits, I'll always have a good idea of when I'll be in Vegas and have booked all my flights early enough to have been spared any surcharges.

So for me, since day 1, I can't think of a single downside.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, as I'd imagine with newly launched services, there will be some improvements & refinements along the way.

For my purposes, I've never experienced any issues since signing up when it first launched. Initially, my only gripe was that they didn't take Amex, which they fixed addressed almost immediately. I suppose, it also helps that I fly the SFO - LAS route so frequently that I don't need to utilize the SDC feature and rarely, if ever, need to cancel and rebook. Moreover, when the 1st hits, I'll always have a good idea of when I'll be in Vegas and have booked all my flights early enough to have been spared any surcharges.

So for me, since day 1, I can't think of a single downside.
For me, even changing a flight Is a hassle. It takes 3 days to make a change and must be done 3 weeks in advance (ie more than 14 days) due to the refund. First you cancel, then it takes a few days to reissue, then you buy a new ticket. Very difficult.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
For me, even changing a flight Is a hassle. It takes 3 days to make a change and must be done 3 weeks in advance (ie more than 14 days) due to the refund. First you cancel, then it takes a few days to reissue, then you buy a new ticket. Very difficult.
This plus SDC were the biggest hassles. From previous posts it sounded like those were improved but maybe not?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
This plus SDC were the biggest hassles. From previous posts it sounded like those were improved but maybe not?
I've never actually had to utilize a SDC, but have cancelled and rescheduled a flight. For me, I just cancelled it via my AS app, then called a few days later to request the flight credit back. Then, just booked another Vegas trip with the 14-day limitation. Again, for me, I go so often that the 14-day restriction has never posed an issue; so, clearly for me, it's one of those things where something that's important & valuable to them isn't to me, and easy to use as a bargaining chip.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow why am I not doing this for my kid at Berkeley. SFO to SNA on the regular is $$$.
Any reason not to?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Just had an experience where I have a ticket 21 days out and called to see if I could change the time (on the same day) of the outbound. It was an even change and I was surprised, so I asked--she said it was out of policy, but as a 75k she thought it was easier than cancelling and reissuing. I was happy.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Wow why am I not doing this for my kid at Berkeley. SFO to SNA on the regular is $$$.
Any reason not to?
Smart kid! The "Ivory Tower" of the UC system isn't an easy school to get into! As to the Flight Pass, if you're fine with some of the restrictions, it's an excellent value, in my view. It has worked very well for me and has helped save a pretty penny.
Tack likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For a limited time, subscribe to a qualifying Flight Pass plan and receive free Mileage Plan™ MVP or MVP Gold status through 2023!
Now it has free status lol.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Visconti
Smart kid! The "Ivory Tower" of the UC system isn't an easy school to get into! As to the Flight Pass, if you're fine with some of the restrictions, it's an excellent value, in my view. It has worked very well for me and has helped save a pretty penny.
It's one of those airline deals that it is perfect for traveler or, like me, it can never work. No in between. But from what I'm hearing it makes a profit, and is growing, no one at AS who manages that program on a daily basis will say how much the actual return is, so your guess is as good as mine. They did say that the most popular plan is the 49 bucks a month plan and its strongest sales are with Millennials and Gen Zer's in NorCal. With the addition of status now attached, I'm guessing they're looking to see what might drive bigger sales from SoCal and see if they can strengthen market share to SLC from SFO and SAN. We will see.
Visconti likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by simonsuo
For a limited time, subscribe to a qualifying Flight Pass plan and receive free Mileage Plan™ MVP or MVP Gold status through 2023!
Must be getting desperate to sell the passes.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Its useful for some; but i would actually like to see this expand through out the Alaska system similar to the Air Canada FP....I would say if they included thier core SEA market.....youd get a ton of buyers.....have an Alaska (state) only FP, or commuter between SEA and ANC FP.....

Or the Hawaii >> Mainland FP commuter.....given the remote work is now the norm.....but frequent regular travel is required still....

I think they can do more here.

Air Canada is very happy with thier FP system....its not cheap....but for a lot of businesses its a good deal.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by simonsuo
Full terms here. Might be cheaper than MRs for those that have a long way to go to hit MVP or MVPG!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by simonsuo;[url=tel:34729875
34729875[/url]]For a limited time, subscribe to a qualifying Flight Pass plan and receive free Mileage Plan™ MVP or MVP Gold status through 2023!
This wouldn't bother me much if AS stopped the (relatively) recent behavior of exhausting all J when the UG processor runs. By doing this, AS has greatly diminish the ability to purchase a last minute high fare revenue ticket, exercise a SDC on a paid FC ticket, or even SDC on an economy ticket and attempt to utilize the complimentary upgrade benefit. For example, if J=3 and the WL>=3 and then UG professor runs.. poof J=0.

By adding additional elites, this increases the odds that this behavior will be problematic in the aforementioned scenarios.

Also, if I were a MVP/Gold earned through BIS (+CoS) EQM, I would be disappointed to see AS handing out elite status.

just my two ants..

Last edited by anteater; Nov 3, 2022 at 1:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.