Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

AS Launches First-Ever Flight Subscription Service (Flight Pass) in CA, AZ and NV

AS Launches First-Ever Flight Subscription Service (Flight Pass) in CA, AZ and NV

Old Mar 17, 22, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
To get cheap SFO-SNA flights, you can book cheap SFO-LAX flights and then SDC to SFO-SNA. One could consider this an abuse of the generous co-terminal policy in the SDC rules, but if you are ok with that, the savings can be significant. Once in a while you might be unable to SDC and be stuck with a long and expensive uber ride. The expense is a wash (it's still cheaper than the fare difference between the two routes, or at least, it used to be) but of course it's a waste of your valuable time. Then again, that's always a risk while flying anywhere... hour-plus delays are not that uncommon.

I'm not sure what the current state of affairs is, but back when I used to fly this route, SFO-LAX could be had for $50 each way (probably even less on less desirable days) and SFO-SNA was generally in the $150 range.
I was able to get a same day turn on a Wednesday this month without a premium from sna to sfo.
Old Mar 17, 22, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by samosa View Post
I was able to get a same day turn on a Wednesday this month without a premium from sna to sfo.
I didn't know the SDC for LAX included SNA, otherwise I would have certainly tried that in the past. Kind of like in football, if you can't block someone, just hold him on ever play. I mean, the Refs aren't going to call holding on every play right? It's the same for SFO - SNA, as VG observed, routinely so much higher than other SFO - CA destinations, they can't slap a premium on every single flight, right?

So, I'm assuming I should be able to get my share of SFO - SNAs on this plan.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I didn't know the SDC for LAX included SNA, otherwise I would have certainly tried that in the past. Kind of like in football, if you can't block someone, just hold him on ever play. I mean, the Refs aren't going to call holding on every play right? It's the same for SFO - SNA, as VG observed, routinely so much higher than other SFO - CA destinations, they can't slap a premium on every single flight, right?

So, I'm assuming I should be able to get my share of SFO - SNAs on this plan.
Yeah the co-terminal grouping for that area includes all LA and OC airports. It's VERY wide.
Visconti likes this.
Old Mar 20, 22, 8:58 am

As expected (this come as no surprise to anyone, really) the base fares for the SFO - LAS have all risen at least 10% across the board. With fares spiking on the more popular days, such as Friday for SFO - LAS and Sunday LAS - SFO, I suspect these will be "premium" add ons in perpetuity. I mean, even F9 is asking from $75 - $150 for these high demand dates, and I can't imagine how'd feel if I ever paid that much for a F9 flight.

So, again, unless AS can premium everything or raise the sub price, this appears, at least for the moment, to have been a good bet, at least for my purposes. If anything, given the traffic literally flooding back into Vegas and Oil prices, fares for this route can only go up, at least for this year.
Old Mar 25, 22, 10:33 am

I wanted to share an important issue that I didnt plan for. I purchased the lowest package and have a flight booked, which I did well in advance of the 14 day window. I decided to change my flight by one day something very easy. In fact, I thought it would aid Alaska since the flights were empty and thus cheaper.

to my surprise, I could not do it online. When I called the mvp line (twice) they had no idea where to send me so they sent me to vacations. Finally when someone picked up on the other line I was holding for, flight pass, they told me it takes 48hours to cancel, then I have a 14 day purchase requirement. In other words I needed to change it 17 days before my original flight.

I of course wrote to customer care explaining how poorly thought out it was. Funny enough, the rep was empathetic and said a lot of people complained.
Old Mar 30, 22, 8:19 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
So I'm thinking of doing this crazy commute to SFO, 3 times a week, for my school in East Bay which starts in August. Based on current class schedule, seems like I will have classes MWF only. So what I can do is flying LAX-SFO-LAX same day travel, 3 times a week, which is 12 roundtrips per month. Now my question is, can we purchase multiple flight passes? I need to purchase 6 flight passes to make it work. I checked the terms and conditions, nothing prohibits that, and I don't even have to attach my MP# to my flight pass account during registration, I can simply add MP# to new reservation and request UGs. And yes, before you think I'm crazy or something, I actually calculated the price, it's still cheaper than the crazy rent in the Bay Area.
Old Mar 30, 22, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by 985X View Post
So I'm thinking of doing this crazy commute to SFO, 3 times a week, for my school in East Bay which starts in August. Based on current class schedule, seems like I will have classes MWF only. So what I can do is flying LAX-SFO-LAX same day travel, 3 times a week, which is 12 roundtrips per month. Now my question is, can we purchase multiple flight passes? I need to purchase 6 flight passes to make it work. I checked the terms and conditions, nothing prohibits that, and I don't even have to attach my MP# to my flight pass account during registration, I can simply add MP# to new reservation and request UGs. And yes, before you think I'm crazy or something, I actually calculated the price, it's still cheaper than the crazy rent in the Bay Area.
sounds interesting. I imagine you have to log into different accounts 14 days in advance to make the bookings (and hope none have a premium). Have you also considered the cost of transport to and from the airport in your calculation?
Old Mar 30, 22, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, Tennessee Squire
Originally Posted by 985X View Post
Very interesting. I cant see why that couldnt work. I cant offer any advice, but Im hoping if you do pull the trigger you will update us here. Good luck! Cheers.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 12:04 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
sounds interesting. I imagine you have to log into different accounts 14 days in advance to make the bookings (and hope none have a premium). Have you also considered the cost of transport to and from the airport in your calculation?
LAX parking is $3/day at Aviation park and ride with 24hr shuttle into terminals (best kept secret)
For SFO, I need to figure out a way to avoid BART SFO surcharge, otherwise it's $10 one-way, VERY EXPENSIVE.. At least I can have breakfast for free in AS LAX/SFO lounges, so that offsets BART SFO surcharge I guess
samosa and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Very interesting. I cant see why that couldnt work. I cant offer any advice, but Im hoping if you do pull the trigger you will update us here. Good luck! Cheers.

I will. In fact I just submitted a new application on Guinness world record for longest total distance traveled for school commute. 75k miles traveled to/from school within 9 months (two semesters), I guess probably no one can break that record
Tack, be_rettSEA and UtilityGuy like this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 8:17 am

I wanted to share an important issue that I didnt plan for. I purchased the lowest package and have a flight booked, which I did well in advance of the 14 day window. I decided to change my flight by one day something very easy. In fact, I thought it would aid Alaska since the flights were empty and thus cheaper.

to my surprise, I could not do it online. When I called the mvp line (twice) they had no idea where to send me so they sent me to vacations. Finally when someone picked up on the other line I was holding for, flight pass, they told me it takes 48hours to cancel, then I have a 14 day purchase requirement. In other words I needed to change it 17 days before my original flight.

I of course wrote to customer care explaining how poorly thought out it was. Funny enough, the rep was empathetic and said a lot of people complained.
Yep after my disaster in trying to sign up its been one thing after another. If you book well in advance and dont make any changes then this can be a good deal. However when a flight has schedule changes they also dont know what to do when youve been upgraded (including selecting premium cabin seats). Basically everything is a bit disconnected from Alaska since its run by a third party.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by olouie View Post
Yep after my disaster in trying to sign up its been one thing after another. If you book well in advance and dont make any changes then this can be a good deal. However when a flight has schedule changes they also dont know what to do when youve been upgraded (including selecting premium cabin seats). Basically everything is a bit disconnected from Alaska since its run by a third party.
This is definitely a con for anyone who frequently utilizes SDCs. Not that I needed to on my return flight, but, out of curiosity, I decided to see what happened should I begin the process on my App, as I usually do. Of course, as you've mentioned, I get this message to call a different number and instantly I'm thinking "Expedia" crap like OTA treatment time.

Fortunately, it appears that for my purposes, on the route I fly frequently (SFO - LAS), the odds of having to make SDCs are remote. However, given these limitations, while this already has and clearly will be a good deal for the 12 months, it does give me a moment of pause to increase my subscription to more flights.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 10:15 am

Yeah the company that runs it is a small startup. Would be fine if they are just doing the subscription software but seems like they also handle most issues that occur. Its more like Alaska sold bulk tickets to them and they are the travel agent with major ticket restrictions. It seemed too good to be true and for most it probably wont be a super good value. Hopefully this is just an alpha test and it gets better over time.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 3:41 pm

Well, even with the limitations, the moment the clock strikes midnight and they charge my $49 fee, I assume I'll get the 1 credit to make SFO - LAS reservations asap, as the prices are only going to rise, I suspect rather quickly this month.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Can I request this for FAI-ANC? Please?

Search this Thread