Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alternative routing if Japan is still closed in September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Everyone's hoping that Japan reopens this year...I am on that same boat. I have a trip in September on JL from LAX-NRT(Stopover)-SIN; then from SIN to MLE on SQ (separate ticket).
I need to prepare for alternatives in case I cannot stopover in Japan.

Does anyone have any suggestions that still gets me to SIN? Or maybe not SIN but just love to break the trip up and just have the stopover somewhere in Asia before going to MLE.
I used 130k AS for 2 J tickets.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you connect instead of stopping over?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Can you connect instead of stopping over?
I'm certain I can just transit even if Japan is closed. My question was more asking for other routing suggestions to still have a stopover in Asia somewhere to use my AS points. I need to visit for a week somewhere before heading to MLE.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by buildingcredit
I'm certain I can just transit even if Japan is closed. My question was more asking for other routing suggestions to still have a stopover in Asia somewhere to use my AS points. I need to visit for a week somewhere before heading to MLE.
Take the stopover in SIN. It may end up changing, but currently any transit needs to be on one ticket. It cannot be on separate tickets, and it has been this way since Singapore started reopening.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DiamondMile
Take the stopover in SIN. It may end up changing, but currently any transit needs to be on one ticket. It cannot be on separate tickets, and it has been this way since Singapore started reopening.
Yeah, and asking for where we will be and who will be allowing people in in 6-7 months is like asking for winning lottery numbers in 6 months, so I don’t see how you can plan this far in advance. Thailand hasn’t been particularly consistent for tourism, China doesn’t look like it’s opening soon, and so on. Probably better to stop over in SIN for now and re-evaluate much closer to travel dates, I think.
ashill and buildingcredit like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Everyone's hoping that Japan reopens this year...I am on that same boat. I have a trip in September on JL from LAX-NRT(Stopover)-SIN; then from SIN to MLE on SQ (separate ticket).

Does anyone have any suggestions that still gets me to SIN? Or maybe not SIN but just love to break the trip up and just have the stopover somewhere in Asia before going to MLE.

Thanks in advance.
You could stop over in Thailand (eg lax-nrt-bkk) then you'd have to change your sin-mle or just buy a bkk-sin ticket IF you want to follow the "whack a mole" rules to see what Thailand is doing in terms of allowing tourists. Also SIN has changed their entry without quarantine rules a few times. But of course no one knows what is likely to be the case in two weeks never mind months from now.
The Philippines just announced with little notice that they are opening to foreigners without quaratine, Bali opened with quarantine but almost no flights are going there, etc.
aquanine likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I’d go with BKK as Thailand has been open more than Singapore or Japan. Get one ticket all the way thru to BKK.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by stephem
I’d go with BKK as Thailand has been open more than Singapore or Japan. Get one ticket all the way thru to BKK.
This is what I just did for late May. Threw in the towel on Japan and just moved on down the line.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Seoul/South Korea on KE?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Seoul/South Korea on KE?
OP needs to configure KE award as a round trip or else they pay 2x for a one way. Sounds like OP has 2 one ways to SIN + two one ways to MLE. That won’t cut it…
buildingcredit likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:45 am

Thailand just restarted their Test-Go scheme and Msia also announced their reopening come March-1.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
If you're traveling to Singapore under the VTL program, this won't work. Per the Singapore VTL site:

>Travellers may only have travelled to or transited via "Active VTL (Air) Countries/Regions" within the past 14 days

Japan is not on the list of VTL regions. So if you transit Japan en route to Singapore, you won't be let in. Thailand and Korea are good alternates that are on the VTL list.
estnet and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX
Getting 2 x J award tickets on OW/AS partners will be hard. At short notice (hrs/days) is may be easier.
Are few OW/AS partner airlines going USA to Asia. CX JL KE SQ
When you originally booked what other options were available?
Would expect travelling in September 2022 will be different to now.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...dID:MPPartners
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Consider flights on MH via KUL or UL via CMB?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fbrdky
Consider flights on MH via KUL or UL via CMB?
Gonna be hard to do those with AS miles if AS doesn’t have redemption options for MH/UL (they don’t yet). If OP has access to any kind of credit card points that can transfer to BA though…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.