Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alternative routing if Japan is still closed in September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative routing if Japan is still closed in September

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, and asking for where we will be and who will be allowing people in in 6-7 months is like asking for winning lottery numbers in 6 months, so I don’t see how you can plan this far in advance. Thailand hasn’t been particularly consistent for tourism, China doesn’t look like it’s opening soon, and so on. Probably better to stop over in SIN for now and re-evaluate much closer to travel dates, I think.
I agree, a lot can happen in 6 months and I am just really exploring all options. When you say stopover in SIN do you just mean a straight shot one way ticket from LAX-TYP-SIN? If that's the case then I will have to spend more time in SIN than I originally wanted before going to MLE. Would you recommend keeping my ticket now and changing it closer in or vice versa?
Originally Posted by stephem
I’d go with BKK as Thailand has been open more than Singapore or Japan. Get one ticket all the way thru to BKK.
Thanks for the suggestion too, I'd like to go to BKK but can't see myself doing another beach/resort trip before MLE.
Originally Posted by aquanine
If you're traveling to Singapore under the VTL program, this won't work. Per the Singapore VTL site:

>Travellers may only have travelled to or transited via "Active VTL (Air) Countries/Regions" within the past 14 days

Japan is not on the list of VTL regions. So if you transit Japan en route to Singapore, you won't be let in. Thailand and Korea are good alternates that are on the VTL list.
Thanks for this note. I totally didn't catch this about the VTL. I wonder if Singapore will ever add Japan to their program this year, but if they do, I presume Japan would be open by then too.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Gonna be hard to do those with AS miles if AS doesn’t have redemption options for MH/UL (they don’t yet).
If OP has access to any kind of credit card points that can transfer to BA though…
Oneworld airline MH recently added to the AS award chart
--->Alaska Adds New Partner Award Redemptions on Malaysia Airlines (MH)
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks for the suggestion too, I'd like to go to BKK but can't see myself doing another beach/resort trip before MLE.
Whoa, hold the phone, Bangkok is decidedly NOT that. It is like NY or Hong Kong, big crazy city experience. Both Bangkok and Saigon would be great contrasts to Maldives.
estnet, williwaw, aquanine and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by DiamondMile
Take the stopover in SIN. It may end up changing, but currently any transit needs to be on one ticket. It cannot be on separate tickets, and it has been this way since Singapore started reopening.
Originally Posted by aquanine
If you're traveling to Singapore under the VTL program, this won't work. Per the Singapore VTL site:

>Travellers may only have travelled to or transited via "Active VTL (Air) Countries/Regions" within the past 14 days

Japan is not on the list of VTL regions. So if you transit Japan en route to Singapore, you won't be let in. Thailand and Korea are good alternates that are on the VTL list.
Japan Airlines actually has on their website explicitly stating their flights aren't VTL. So per current Singapore guidelines you cannot enter. However, that may change by May.
If you don't want beaches go to Chiang Mai in Thailand (don't think JL flies there). Another option is Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which is purportedly opening soon.
JL also flies to Delhi, think that is in another region though.

Don't bother with the MH flights on AS miles, 90k for an intra-Asia flight in economy.

Do you have more miles? If so, you might want to do this for insurance: book a ticket that has transit in NRT, and then book a separate ticket for a later date that just goes from TYO to another destination (because if you can transit that means you can use either airport now).
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.