Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Limit 1 Checked Bag Per Customer to Kalispell (FCA) and BIL, BZM and SUN

Old Feb 7, 22, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP

In the 'plan for your trip' email for my flight tomorrow on a Q400, I saw the following notice:

I suspect that this is due to Alaska's great "ski bag + boot bag = 1 checked bag" policy, but this kinda obviates it. Has anyone been affected by this and is Alaska doing this at other airports in Montana or elsewhere?
Old Feb 7, 22, 3:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by Mehdron View Post
In the 'plan for your trip' email for my flight tomorrow on a Q400, I saw the following notice:

I suspect that this is due to Alaska's great "ski bag + boot bag = 1 checked bag" policy, but this kinda obviates it. Has anyone been affected by this and is Alaska doing this at other airports in Montana or elsewhere?

We encountered this recently on a trip to Sun Valley. Nothing was said to us when we checked in 4 bags between us at SEA but on the way back, the rep at the counter told us that only the first two bags (one each) were guaranteed to fly with us and the rest would be standby. She said it was due to weight distribution on the smaller Horizon planes. She also assured us it had been several months since they'd had to leave bags behind and it was very rare. I was surprised no one had notified us of this in advance so we could have given extra thought to our packing so this notice is a good idea.
Old Feb 7, 22, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alyeska Choice Pass, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mehdron View Post
is Alaska doing this at other airports in Montana or elsewhere?
Yes, see this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ers-exceptions
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Feb 7, 22, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I think this is due to the new person weight calculation. The FAA changed the "average passenger" weight to something more realistic and between that and baggage it is getting close to maxing out the Q400s winter's weight limit. As I understand it they fly with more fuel in winter and also have to make allowances for using the deicing system which somehow affects performance. It was either manage baggage or start blocking seats.

Search this Thread