Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get 100K Upgrade on AS (2022)

I Got/Didn't Get 100K Upgrade on AS (2022)

Old Feb 11, 22, 7:02 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
Posts: 2,672
Originally Posted by scklumb View Post
My success rate with a companion is dismal (like 25%) but me alone its about 90%. I talked to my friend who works for Alaska, he said send an "Alaska Listen" comment on your experiences. He said this goes to senior management and they read it.
My wife and I will be on a flight next week that has only three seats open in F, none of them U and none of them adjacent to each other. If I get the chance, I guess my only hope is to catch the GA when showing up:
vanillabean is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 12:50 am
  #107  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,120
Has anybody seen this before?


Did someone actually stay on the waitlist after an upgrade? I haven't seen this in years. I received the second to last seat, 1D at ~T-12h and dropped from the list. 1A remained unassigned until boarding.

James

The name is interesting.....
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 8:57 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Seattle
Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by scklumb View Post
2/11/22
AS 1146 SEA-AUS
A320
Fare class: G
No upgrade. Me and companion #1 and #2 on the list with 4J seats available 2 days before (out of 20 people on the list). They released U seats one at time. thus #1 and #2 not upgraded and #3 and #4 (had same last name) not upgraded but the 4 people after #4 all disappeared off the list. This has happened too often to me and my companion. My success rate with a companion is dismal (like 25%) but me alone its about 90%. I talked to my friend who works for Alaska, he said send an "Alaska Listen" comment on your experiences. He said this goes to senior management and they read it.

Can there be a separate thread for upgrade success or lack there when with a companion (and status if any of the companion)? Just a thought.
Fredd likes this.
Xrayman is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 9:36 am
  #109  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR/BLI
Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG100K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 9,357
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
Can there be a separate thread for upgrade success or lack there when with a companion (and status if any of the companion)? Just a thought.
We're both 100Ks and failed to UG on two recent flights (SEA-FLL and FLL-LAX), and it's not looking good for PDX-HNL the day after tomorrow. Of course, F may well be full. OTOH we've just been upgraded HNL-SFO and SFO-SEA four days from now.

In our years flying UA as 1Ks, we used to split itins to get around UA's one-at-a-time UG glitch. Maybe AS flyer couples already do that. Thoughts?
Fredd is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 9:38 am
  #110  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SAN, BOS
Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

Did someone actually stay on the waitlist after an upgrade? I haven't seen this in years. I received the second to last seat, 1D at ~T-12h and dropped from the list. 1A remained unassigned until boarding.

James

The name is interesting.....
Maybe the person has access to a super secret ultra 200k business to first class upgrade hidden in the galley
TravelingZoomer is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 9:38 am
  #111  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,165
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
In our years flying UA as 1Ks, we used to split itins to get around the one-at-a-time UG glitch. Maybe AS flyer couples already do that. Thoughts?
Oh yes, always split the reservation when flying AS. Itís a well known and frequently complained about issue (at least to folks here).
Fredd and FlyerDigits like this.
RAD_PDX is online now  
Old Feb 12, 22, 9:45 am
  #112  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR/BLI
Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG100K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 9,357
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
Oh yes, always split the reservation when flying AS. Itís a well known and frequently complained about issue (at least to folks here).
Thanks!
FlyerDigits likes this.
Fredd is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 9:59 am
  #113  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 11,762
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Did someone actually stay on the waitlist after an upgrade? I haven't seen this in years. I received the second to last seat, 1D at ~T-12h and dropped from the list. 1A remained unassigned until boarding.
Isn't that how it used to work? I didn’t fly much (AS at least) during the pandemic, but I vaguely remember seeing upgraded passengers staying on the waitlist, marked as upgraded? Isn’t that what the green checkmark icon is for?

In fact I asked about this just a few days ago in another thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33973138-post207.html
notquiteaff is online now  
Old Feb 12, 22, 10:05 am
  #114  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,165
Another thing that is inconsistent is having PC seat assignments listed next to the names on the waitlist. PDX-SEA had it this morning (only appearing shortly before take off), whereas SEA-JFK didnít show it.
RAD_PDX is online now  
Old Feb 12, 22, 10:13 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: AS MVPG100K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

Did someone actually stay on the waitlist after an upgrade? I haven't seen this in years. I received the second to last seat, 1D at ~T-12h and dropped from the list. 1A remained unassigned until boarding.

James

The name is interesting.....
I saw this when someone was manually added to the airport waitlist by an agent and then cleared. With the new process, the waitlist is not transferred to the airport and visible to agents until an hour before departure. If you ask them before that, they won't see you (or anyone) on the list and if they're not well informed, they may manually add you. This goes back to the manually adding vs "nudging" the processor discussion. You can view the real upgrade waitlist up to 72 hours prior on the flight status page on the web. If you don't see your name there, then you may actually not be on the list.

Count me firmly in the more transparency camp. I believe every name that hits the waitlist should stay there, even if upgraded.

Also, FAI-SEA 2/14 G class purchased a month or so ago, T-68.
notquiteaff likes this.
SOCguy is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 10:45 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,120
Originally Posted by SOCguy View Post
I saw this when someone was manually added to the airport waitlist by an agent and then cleared. With the new process, the waitlist is not transferred to the airport and visible to agents until an hour before departure. If you ask them before that, they won't see you (or anyone) on the list and if they're not well informed, they may manually add you. This goes back to the manually adding vs "nudging" the processor discussion. You can view the real upgrade waitlist up to 72 hours prior on the flight status page on the web. If you don't see your name there, then you may actually not be on the list.

Count me firmly in the more transparency camp. I believe every name that hits the waitlist should stay there, even if upgraded.

Also, FAI-SEA 2/14 G class purchased a month or so ago, T-68.
Good thoughts, however the passenger was #3 on the waitlist at OLCI. I was #1 with 2 available F seats, 1A & 1D as per EF. At ~T-12, I got upgraded and assigned 1D. I am not sure what happened to #2 but both myself & #2 were removed from the waitlist leaving #3 in the #1 position.

There were 2 MVPG100K & 5 MVPG75K on the flight.

On AS725 DFW-SEA, there were 47 Elites, 2 MM & 5 MVPG100K.

I definitely agree on the transparency At OLCI there were 3 F seats available. Between T-24 & T-12 one of the F seats was assigned while the upgrade waitlist & awaiting seats remained unchanged. The flight was zeroed out so not even available for purchase.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 11:12 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: AS MVPG100K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Good thoughts, however the passenger was #3 on the waitlist at OLCI. I was #1 with 2 available F seats, 1A & 1D as per EF. At ~T-12, I got upgraded and assigned 1D. I am not sure what happened to #2 but both myself & #2 were removed from the waitlist leaving #3 in the #1 position.
​​​​​​
The list you see at OLCI is the list but again, it isn't visible to airport agents. So if that guest didn't look at the actual waitlist online, got to the airport and asked about upgrades and the agent looked at the airport list, their name wouldn't be there (nor would anyone else's), it doesn't show up until D60. The airport agent could have then added them to the airport waitlist. Doesn't affect the waitlist you see online though. I think the distinction is that someone upgraded at the airport by an agent off the waitlist inside 60 minutes stays on the list whereas anything more than 60 minutes prior by the processor is removed.

I think having both the list be more transparent and visible to agents in advance would go a long way towards instilling trust in the process. I will say that pre-January, I had a couple upgrades that shocked me as I knew where I should have fallen in the pecking order. After the changes, my name has always appeared exactly where it should per the published rules and no upgrades (or lack thereof) have been out of the ordinary.
SOCguy is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 11:52 am
  #118  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Posts: 95
I got upgrade to PC ... on a Saver fare (SEA-EWR-PDX). Does that count ? Lol
tobikosan and PlowJockey like this.
Thichbay is online now  
Old Feb 12, 22, 1:40 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: BOS
Programs: AS 100K, UA G, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Posts: 515
2/12/22
AS 840 BOS-SEA (11AM flight) A321
AS 736 BOS-SEA (afternoon flight) 739 - Cleared: T-96

Fare class: G, Purchased: 1/10/22

#840 I started at 8 on the waitlist with 5 seats, then went down to 4 at ~T-12 then down to #3 a few hours before departure. One lucky passenger was brought up to F just before takeoff. My first flight in 2022 as 100K, I thought I was going to be personally escorted to first class on every flight.
PlowJockey likes this.
joachimm is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 2:01 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Posts: 588

some interesting names on the UG list.. 🤔🤔

(This is just for fun observation, don't make it political please)
985X is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread