Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get 100K Upgrade on AS (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Got/Didn't Get 100K Upgrade on AS (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Feb 4th Friday
AS1055 LAX-SEA B39M Cleared at T-23
AS86 SEA-JFK A21N Cleared at T-114

Feb 5th Saturday
AS7 JFK-SEA A21N Cleared at T-114
AS1436 SEA-LAX A21N Cleared T-23
AS431 LAX-SEA B739 "me" and "myself" both cleared at T-23
AS326 SEA-BOS B739 "me" cleared at T-114, "myself" cleared at T-23

Feb 6th Sunday
AS840 BOS-SEA B739 "me" cleared at T-23, "myself" didn't clear, was #1 on the list
AS398 SEA-BOS B739 "me" cleared at T-114, "myself" cleared at T-23

100k, all G class.

You might wonder what the heck I was talking about, okay story time:
"me" was traveling on the Feb 5th LAX-SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX, which was purchased in Nov 2021. "myself" was traveling on the Jan 28th LAX-SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX, which was also purchased in Nov 2021. Due to snow storm, the Jan 28 trip was cancelled by AS last week. I asked to rebook, which was rebooked on the Feb 5th LAX-SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX, same flight pairs, so I could get double miles (EQM, RDM, Million Miler Credit). Therefore, I was traveling on 2 separate tickets, on the same itinerary. Both tickets are under my name.

Agent helped me printed boarding pass at the checkin counter, passed TSA, no issues. Then when I reached the gate, agent flagged me down. I explained to them what happened, they said usually if a pax is traveling on duplicate tickets, the 2nd seat should be "Exst, Last Name". And I told her I'm traveling on 2 separate tickets with different confirmation codes, to earn double EQM and RDM. Exst only gets you double RDM, and it's under one reservation code, not a separate one. Another agent called AS for help, they figured out what was going on, so the agent who reissued my ticket wasn't supposed to create duplicate booking. They can't scan either of my boarding pass due to security concerns, can't have 2 seats for the same pax on the same plane with the same name. (Surprisingly I didn't get into trouble with TSA). Since "me" had 4/4 UG, "myself" had only 3/4 UG, they told me to fly on the "me" ticket and they will put "myself" ticket as a no-show. They also told me to contact customer care to get mileage credit for that "myself" duplicate booking.

As I landed BOS, I called AS, Phoenix reservation agent picked up, I asked her if I could get the miles, she said she could only cancel my ticket and issue refund due to duplicate booking, if I need the miles I need to contact customer care. I explicitly told her "DO NOT CANCEL MY TICKET, DO NOT TOUCH IT, I DONT NEED REFUND, I WILL HANDLE IT WITH CUSTOMER CARE NEXT MONDAY". She said okay.

Then 20min later, I received an email, saying "myself" ticket has been cancelled and here is your refund. I was so furious, almost started cursing in admirals club. Turns out she only refunded the SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX legs for "myself" ticket, and missing LAX-SEA leg for "myself" ticket, which resulted in $100 less refund. I called reservations again, another Phoenix agent picked up (seriously?), since the ticket already got canceled by her colleague, there's nothing she could do to reinstate this "myself" ticket.

I will call customer care next Monday and post updates here. It's a mess and probably gonna be a case study for AS. Cancelled flights, duplicate reservations, issues with boarding, agent cancelling my ticket even when I asked her not to touch it, getting mileage credit for those flights, incorrect refund amount.. Other than cancelled flights which was not AS fault, the rest of it seems like AS's full responsibility.

Last edited by 985X; Feb 6, 2022 at 8:09 am Reason: AS840 BOS-SEA typo
Old Feb 6, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by 985X
Feb 4th Friday
AS1055 LAX-SEA B39M Cleared at T-23
AS86 SEA-JFK A21N Cleared at T-114

Feb 5th Saturday
AS7 JFK-SEA A21N Cleared at T-114
AS1436 SEA-LAX A21N Cleared T-23
AS431 LAX-SEA B739 "me" and "myself" both cleared at T-23
AS326 SEA-BOS B739 "me" cleared at T-114, "myself" cleared at T-23

Feb 6th Sunday
AS840 BOS-SEA B739 "me" cleared at T-23, "myself" didn't clear, was #1 on the list
AS398 SEA-BOS B739 "me" cleared at T-114, "myself" cleared at T-23

100k, all G class.

You might wonder what the heck I was talking about, okay story time:
"me" was traveling on the Feb 5th LAX-SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX, which was purchased in Nov 2021. "myself" was traveling on the Jan 28th LAX-SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX, which was also purchased in Nov 2021. Due to snow storm, the Jan 28 trip was cancelled by AS last week. I asked to rebook, which was rebooked on the Feb 5th LAX-SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX, same flight pairs, so I could get double miles (EQM, RDM, Million Miler Credit). Therefore, I was traveling on 2 separate tickets, on the same itinerary. Both tickets are under my name.

Agent helped me printed boarding pass at the checkin counter, passed TSA, no issues. Then when I reached the gate, agent flagged me down. I explained to them what happened, they said usually if a pax is traveling on duplicate tickets, the 2nd seat should be "Exst, Last Name". And I told her I'm traveling on 2 separate tickets with different confirmation codes, to earn double EQM and RDM. Exst only gets you double RDM, and it's under one reservation code, not a separate one. Another agent called AS for help, they figured out what was going on, so the agent who reissued my ticket wasn't supposed to create duplicate booking. They can't scan either of my boarding pass due to security concerns, can't have 2 seats for the same pax on the same plane with the same name. (Surprisingly I didn't get into trouble with TSA). Since "me" had 4/4 UG, "myself" had only 3/4 UG, they told me to fly on the "me" ticket and they will put "myself" ticket as a no-show. They also told me to contact customer care to get mileage credit for that "myself" duplicate booking.

As I landed BOS, I called AS, Phoenix reservation agent picked up, I asked her if I could get the miles, she said she could only cancel my ticket and issue refund due to duplicate booking, if I need the miles I need to contact customer care. I explicitly told her "DO NOT CANCEL MY TICKET, DO NOT TOUCH IT, I DONT NEED REFUND, I WILL HANDLE IT WITH CUSTOMER CARE NEXT MONDAY". She said okay.

Then 20min later, I received an email, saying "myself" ticket has been cancelled and here is your refund. I was so furious, almost started cursing in admirals club. Turns out she only refunded the SEA-BOS-SEA-LAX legs for "myself" ticket, and missing LAX-SEA leg for "myself" ticket, which resulted in $100 less refund. I called reservations again, another Phoenix agent picked up (seriously?), since the ticket already got canceled by her colleague, there's nothing she could do to reinstate this "myself" ticket.

I will call customer care next Monday and post updates here. It's a mess and probably gonna be a case study for AS. Cancelled flights, duplicate reservations, issues with boarding, agent cancelling my ticket even when I asked her not to touch it, getting mileage credit for those flights, incorrect refund amount.. Other than cancelled flights which was not AS fault, the rest of it seems like AS's full responsibility.

I had no idea this was permitted or acceptable to have double EQM and MM status miles by having two purchased tickets. I would love to be able to do this. I would love to buy 3 PC seats when traveling with only two people. I see why from a optics standpoint this would be frowned upon by AS but I think they would be made while from a financial standpoint given that the extra seat was purchased.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by Xrayman
I had no idea this was permitted or acceptable to have double EQM and MM status miles by having two purchased tickets. I would love to be able to do this. I would love to buy 3 PC seats when traveling with only two people. I see why from a optics standpoint this would be frowned upon by AS but I think they would be made while from a financial standpoint given that the extra seat was purchased.

As I mentioned above, I did not intentionally purchase two duplicate tickets. It's duplicated due to one trip last week cancelled due to weather, forcing me to rebook. Since I'm already flying 50hrs from Wednesday to Sunday this week, there's no way I can make it work unless I duplicate the BOS one. Let's see what customer care offers tmr.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by 985X
As I mentioned above, I did not intentionally purchase two duplicate tickets. It's duplicated due to one trip last week cancelled due to weather, forcing me to rebook. Since I'm already flying 50hrs from Wednesday to Sunday this week, there's no way I can make it work unless I duplicate the BOS one. Let's see what customer care offers tmr.
I think they should refund the original price of the ticket. In an ideal world, AS IT would have caught this shortly after the second reservation was generated. If you look at the Contract of Carriage, duplicate bookings are prohibited.

🙌🏻🥃
minhaoxue, pcoll and AndyKehn like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Feb 5
SEA-ANC (107): #1 on UG list. People getting chocolate & 100k snack left & right in PC. Had an honor to sit next to a 2MM (he was #4 on UG list)

Feb 6
LAX-EWR (546): #1 on UG list. Again there are also several 100k sitting around me in PC
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Date: 2/6/22
Route: OGG-SFO
Flight Number: 710
Status 100K
Add companion: No
Time the upgrade cleared: 1 of 13 at T-24 in with 3 seats available in 1st. At T-10 I was 1 of 10 with no seats in 1st. The people in positions 1, 3, and 4 on the waithlist were no longer showing and I was now #1. Seems I was bypassed for some reason and the two possitions behind me received the upgrades. This was my first flight since 100k became official.
Purchased: 10/21
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by tonylop33
Status 100K
Time the upgrade cleared: 1 of 13 at T-24 in with 3 seats available in 1st. At T-10 I was 1 of 10 with no seats in 1st. The people in positions 1, 3, and 4 on the waithlist were no longer showing and I was now #1. Seems I was bypassed for some reason and the two possitions behind me received the upgrades. This was my first flight since 100k became official.
Maybe those behind you were upgraded to PC not F?
tonylop33 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by olouie
Maybe those behind you were upgraded to PC not F?
And could also have been FC ticket sales and or pax in F exercising a SDC.
tonylop33 likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Feb 6, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by Thichbay
Feb 5
SEA-ANC (107): #1 on UG list. People getting chocolate & 100k snack left & right in PC. Had an honor to sit next to a 2MM (he was #4 on UG list)

Feb 6
LAX-EWR (546): #1 on UG list. Again there are also several 100k sitting around me in PC
interesting LAX-EWR data point. It used to be an almost guaranteed upgrade for me - the red eye LAX-EWR as a gold.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:00 pm

Why not leave those upgraded on the waitlist and use the check marks (see below) to show if someone is upgrade? Why even have these check marks if upgrades are removed from the list? Or do these check marks just apply for upgrades done at the gate?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xrayman
It is permitted to buy and extra seat; no mileage credited for the extra seat. Have often bought the middle seat in an exit row so my wife and I have all the room. It is cheaper to buy 3 tix most of the time than 2 FC. If we get upgraded I cancel the extra seat. Always have lots of room.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by thepinenuts
It is permitted to buy and extra seat; no mileage credited for the extra seat. Have often bought the middle seat in an exit row so my wife and I have all the room. It is cheaper to buy 3 tix most of the time than 2 FC. If we get upgraded I cancel the extra seat. Always have lots of room.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...s/comfort-seat

You can earn RDM, but not EQM, for the extra seat. Just contact customer service after the trip and they'll credit your miles.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Status 100K
And this right here is why I opted not to mileage run to 100K at the end of 2021...the sting of not getting an upgrade as a 100K just hurts that much more....
tonylop33 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
2/5 SEARSW G class T23, purchased 1/9
2/7 BOSSEA G class T24, purchased 1/9
2/8 SEAORD G class T114, purchased 12/4.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:30 pm

Status 100K
Gate agent confirmed that the two positions behind me were upgraded and I was skipped. She does not know why. They are not 100k (she did not say what level) and were on traveling together. I think I made the processor algorithm angry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.