Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get 100K Upgrade on AS (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Got/Didn't Get 100K Upgrade on AS (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It's not working for me. I called, and she can see us on the list, but because she didn't have access to the list, she couldn't put us in F; there are plenty of U seats. I called again and got the same story from someone else. Both had difficulty acknowledging the 120 hour window.
When you contact AS are you requesting to be upgraded or for AS to process the UG list? I’ve found that when phrasing it as the later, there is less pushback because the agent understands you are requesting that AS process the list in order (and not skipping the queue).

Try 82008 if you have time, and let us know how it turns out!
vanillabean likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by anteater
Try 82008 if you have time, and let us know how it turns out!
82008 told me, "It actually shows upgrades available for each of your flights but the upgrades have to process through the system. We can not manually release them." So it appears to be no more than a slow system.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
The "new" upgrade processor was implemented on January 11th. Agents can no longer nudge it along; auto processing only, no provisions for manual upgrades. If there is U space available within your upgrade window, you have to wait for the processor to fire and hope nobody snags it before then.

James
vanillabean and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The "new" upgrade processor was implemented on January 11th. Agents can no longer nudge it along; auto processing only, no provisions for manual upgrades. If there is U space available within your upgrade window, you have to wait for the processor to fire and hope nobody snags it before then.

James
I'm not sure where you came up with that information, but unless there is a semantic misunderstanding of your statement on my part, that's simply not true. I have had 10+ upgrades manually "nudged" since January 11th.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:28 pm

James
I am only one datapoint, but they certainly can manually process upgrades. On 1/27, I had entered the T-120 window with U space open for a flight on 2/1. I texted AS and the agent upgraded me on both segments within a couple of minutes.

When I inquired to AS last year Q3/Q4, they had internally disempowered agents from manually processing upgrades, a lot of it do to the August upgrade fiasco. It would be a hard stop if you requested AS to help you during your UG window.

However, I saw reports on FT of people being willfully assisted again, so I gave it a try last month and they were happy to do it. So, I am not sure if AS has now empowered agents on this again, but it is certainly possible to be done.

🙌🏻🍹
simonsuo likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

James
I don't believe that agents have been able to "nudge it along" for awhile now.

If it's several hours past the upgrade window and multiple U are available, an agent may find a supervisor who will manually process the upgrade. Supervisors are not supposed to do it, so it's very much a YMMV and should not be expected.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If they are using supervisors they are doing so very quickly. I get the "You've been upgrade email" usually within 60-90 seconds of chatting with an agent. The quote from my text conversation last night was "Let me try to get the system to push it through, if not I will manually process it for you. One moment please".
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
There's a difference between forcing the upgrade processor to run with a product of that being an upgrade for you and having an agent manually upgrade you without regard to anyone else on the upgrade list. We sent several Q400 flights over to the E175 today and had issues with the upgrade processor creating an upgrade waitlist and then not processing it. I asked if it could be manually forced to run and was told that wasn't possible.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I am only one datapoint, but they certainly can manually process upgrades. On 1/27, I had entered the T-120 window with U space open for a flight on 2/1. I texted AS and the agent upgraded me on both segments within a couple of minutes.

When I inquired to AS last year Q3/Q4, they had internally disempowered agents from manually processing upgrades, a lot of it do to the August upgrade fiasco. It would be a hard stop if you requested AS to help you during your UG window.

However, I saw reports on FT of people being willfully assisted again, so I gave it a try last month and they were happy to do it. So, I am not sure if AS has now empowered agents on this again, but it is certainly possible to be done.

🙌🏻🍹

this is ridiculous that individuals may have to actively or insistently ask for a benefit they are entitled. This could be a free for all frenzy and could be considered favored treatment for those who are the squeaky wheel or the loudest.

There is supposedly a process and thus transparent. I for one expect that this be resolved.

I have never called or even would have known to call. In a separate post there is likely a lot more 100K than the selection bias on FT. How would the entire group of 100K at large feel that they are being bypassed because they didn’t call. Let’s say a 75K calls and gets an upgrade pushed through and the 100K doesn’t call. Seems shady.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
this is ridiculous that individuals may have to actively or insistently ask for a benefit they are entitled. This could be a free for all frenzy and could be considered favored treatment for those who are the squeaky wheel or the loudest.

There is supposedly a process and thus transparent. I for one expect that this be resolved.

I have never called or even would have known to call. In a separate post there is likely a lot more 100K than the selection bias on FT. How would the entire group of 100K at large feel that they are being bypassed because they didn’t call. Let’s say a 75K calls and gets an upgrade pushed through and the 100K doesn’t call. Seems shady.
It would have to be a poorly trained agent to not verify that the passenger who is contacting AS is at the top of the UG list.

AFAIK, agents are pulling pax one at a time and in order off the the list until U=0. For example, if I am #3 on the list and U=>4, then contacting AS should result in those 2 pax ahead of me being processed first and then myself.

On another recent occasion, U=7 and I was #1. After contacting AS, I noticed several passengers were also processed until U=0.

I do agree that AS should improve the UG processor such that it fires more quickly.
SOCguy and Jackspotnspike like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I do agree that AS should improve the UG processor such that it fires more quickly.
You’ll be happy to know we got upgraded at T-114 - the new T-120.

Thanks to everyone for the illuminating and entertaining exchange!
anteater and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
2/5 LAX-EWR-LAX G exchanged mid-January during the sale, T-24.
The auto-processor works well for me so far. The email came very fast. For example, when I am in my check-in window, I'm still in PC. 12 minutes later, got the email I'm upgraded. I recall in the past the email took hours to arrive.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k
The upgrade process worked pretty well for my SO (gifted MVP) and me yesterday flying SLC-PDX. We were # 1 & 2 on award tix on the same reservation with about 17 people on the upgrade list with only 2 FC seats available. Received the "you've been upgraded" email about T-18. Unfortunately, we lost the upgrades at the gate when two FC seats (not the ones we were assigned) went mx. To add insult to injury, our original seats in 6CD also were mx, so we were sent near the back of the E175. Oh well, the GA promised us some miles and we both got the chocolates and free drinks from the FA.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
2/5 SEA to JFK
I was upgraded at T-114 to 1C again, and then there was a change of aircraft a few hours before once again from an A321 to an A320. Fortunately, I was not downgraded and got to keep my seat this time.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
5 February
AS 1352
SFO-BOS
A321
G Fare
Upgraded T-22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.