Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 18, 22, 7:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dayone
Wiki Link
  • Requirements:
    100K Eligible miles earned on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    or 140 Eligible segments flown on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    24 minimum number of flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
​​​​​​​
  • Airport benefits:
    Priority check-in and boarding
    Free checked bags: 3
    Preferred seating
    Express security line at select airports
    Standby and wait list for full flights
    Alaska Lounge membership discount
    Four Alaska Lounge day passes (max. 4 per year)
​​​​​​​
  • oneworld priority
    Emerald
More MVP Gold 100K benefits to come.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 29, 22, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalanMan View Post
There's probably an enumerated value in the profile for status level, and if the app matches one of ["MV", "G", "75"], it displays a badge or banner or something on the seat. But when it sees "100", it just doesn't know what to do with it and doesn't display anything.
That bug was fixed in a day or two. Someone even posted a picture of how elites are now correctly identified in the FA phone app.
Old Apr 29, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Some other wishful benefits:

- A companion certificate or GGU that can be used on any flight
- 25,000 bonus miles
- Some mid-tier hotel status
- Ability to link reservations with more than 2 companions
SimonT007 and SeattleWanderer like this.
Old Apr 29, 22, 3:43 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Delta DM, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
That bug was fixed in a day or two. Someone even posted a picture of how elites are now correctly identified in the FA phone app.
Yes, a new version of the app that handles the new data correctly already exists, but FA's still need to update it. It would seem from my own recent experience that not all of them have yet. Hence scklumb's:
Originally Posted by scklumb View Post
So hopefully this will happen less and less. Why didn't AS force an upgrade to the app?
Old May 1, 22, 9:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Just received email from CS stating that the CS rep I spoke to last week about 100k luggage tags being sent in the next couple of weeks was in correct. Like much of how we have been treated as 100k's there will be no 100k gold luggage tags for anyone. 100k's will only be receiving 75k luggage tags. Makes me wonder why I flew the extra miles in December. So there you have it, all 100k's will continue to be treated as 75k's and perhaps even less given all the reports of 100k's not being recognized as such.
Old May 1, 22, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by itripreport View Post
I had to fight my way into a free snack on FLL-LAX the other day
Nickel and Diming their absolute BEST customers. Over two dollars. The stupid chocolate bars I also have to fight over are worth even less, I'm sure.
Old May 2, 22, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Nickel and Diming their absolute BEST customers. Over two dollars. The stupid chocolate bars I also have to fight over are worth even less, I'm sure.
I would suggest that you are referring to the customers that spend the most time on the planes, and/or fly the most segments ... So while they may be the most frequent customers, they aren't necessarily the "best" customers. Nonetheless, there should be proper training and consistency of implementation of a stated benefit.
vanillabean likes this.
Old May 2, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold 75k, AC 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I would suggest that you are referring to the customers that spend the most time on the planes, and/or fly the most segments ... So while they may be the most frequent customers, they aren't necessarily the "best" customers. Nonetheless, there should be proper training and consistency of implementation of a stated benefit.
As we dont want to admit it - the BEST customers to an airline are the highest revenue/margin flyers.....full stop.

Sure you can use 99 dollar X fares on hawaii to get your 100k - but revenue/margin wise - you are probably one of the worst flyers for Alaska....call it about 5k in revenue if you consistently did this.....is this thier best customer? Not where close.....sure you are loyal....but you seem to take out more than you put in.....
Old May 2, 22, 11:16 am

Issac,
Your definition is one dimensional. There are multiple facets you are not considering, least of which is do all planes fly 100% full and would current elites fly if the rules are changed. From my experience most flights are not full and I would not fly if the rules make it too expensive to fly for elite status. Perhaps you should go back and think beyond x + y = most value customer. This is a multivariate problem and AS has determined yields the best net revenue stream. Go back and think of all the variables and then see if your initial conclusion is correct. I think you will come to a different conclusion.

It is also the reason AS has chosen not to accommodate more than 2 on a reservation of upgrades. Multiple factors are at odds and different valuations of the factors are in play.
Old May 2, 22, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold 75k, AC 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad View Post
Issac,
Your definition is one dimensional. There are multiple facets you are not considering, least of which is do all planes fly 100% full and would current elites fly if the rules are changed. From my experience most flights are not full and I would not fly if the rules make it too expensive to fly for elite status. Perhaps you should go back and think beyond x + y = most value customer. This is a multivariate problem and AS has determined yields the best net revenue stream. Go back and think of all the variables and then see if your initial conclusion is correct. I think you will come to a different conclusion.

It is also the reason AS has chosen not to accommodate more than 2 on a reservation of upgrades. Multiple factors are at odds and different valuations of the factors are in play.
I get there are plenty of tangible (i.e. money) and intangible (i.e. good will; marketing, brand ambassador, future potential tangible revenue, etc.) factors are at play.

The total engagement of a company is known such as a CC customer, cargo customer, etc. But at the end of the day; costs are costs and revenue needed to cover that, lets omit profit for the moment.

My observation is that people seem to place a high value on intangible items that are grossly out of proportion of what it actually is. For example, people place more value on using thier own money to pay for flights than thier company's.....ive met many many FF'ers that seem to highlight this difference and expect an airline to reward them more....cuz "its my own hard earned money". This thinking although understandable; doesnt provide any more value in terms of revenue....dollars are dollars....this is intangible view that is largely irrelevant or hard to quantify (i.e. they telling others to fly an airline etc,).

Elite status as it exists with AS doesnt capture the true long term value of each particular customer....hence youve seen revenue based FF. At the end of the day...most people including us MVP golds will choose price...(some flexibility but if AS is significantly more - you will need to book elsewhere for the most part). The intanglible factors will be less valued when it doesnt serve your self interest.

The intanglible pull of the AS FF program is that others will come to Alaska and the hope is they will bring a significant margin to AS revenue.....thier quarterly reports will show that.....if it doesnt hold up...you will see it go revenue based....or mixed.

I am NOT alaska's best customer....i know this.....so i reset expectations accordingly. What i get in value is a plus....not an outright guarantee. I even would be completely OK that in F class (if you dont preorder) that if you are in U class....you get to choose AFTER the paid fare classes are asked first....after all they paid to be there....i got it as courtesy of the airline....(this isnt stated policy of AS, just my opinion). I play the FF game like everyone, but i know i get very good benefits for what i pay overall....so again expectations.

I have met more crusty 100k (across all airlines) than happy ones......my largest observation is there is a "i deserve X cuz i fly Y over Z years and use my own money". Why is your money worth more than your company's? parents? government? etc. again the intangible value we place on it.....

AA has the eagle score.....its private metric for AA......all airlines have a version of this....even if you have your own business....you place higher values on higher revenue/margin customers.....full stop.....so why is the airline industry suddenly different.....if i had a client that wanted the lowest hourly rate but expected the highest attention contributing to significant PM costs....they are an ex-client very quickly.....

Last edited by isaacchambers; May 2, 22 at 12:18 pm
Old May 2, 22, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
When I booked an itinerary that included an AA segment, on the aa.com website and app it said that I was on the upgrade list with 75K status. Is that an AA bug? Or does it indicate that AS doesn't have my status coded right?
Old May 2, 22, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by seacarl View Post
When I booked an itinerary that included an AA segment, on the aa.com website and app it said that I was on the upgrade list with 75K status. Is that an AA bug? Or does it indicate that AS doesn't have my status coded right?
I don't think AA has the 100k status at all. I also get upgrade requests as a 75k member.

I believe AS itself doesn't include 100k status in their flight survey emails.
Old May 2, 22, 12:43 pm

Issac,

You seem not to understand what elites who claim they paid for tickets with their own money is trying to tell you. True Money is money, but what those elites are saying is they can choose to fly or not versus business travelers. The latter has to spend while the former does not. Imagine if all those elites stop flying on AS and stop flying on the half full flights where they have the best chances at upgrades. What's the margin those flights? They don't fly zero $, but they do fly margin is 100% since plane flies with or without them. Like I said it is more complicated than how you have framed it.
Old May 2, 22, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by hyedmd View Post
I don't think AA has the 100k status at all. I also get upgrade requests as a 75k member.
AA has four status levels
25K = Gold
50K = Platinum
75K = Platinum Pro
100K = Executive Platinum

Alaska 100Ks are supposed to be sorted for upgrades after Executive Platinums and ahead of Platinum Pros. The reservation had text that read something like "As an Alaska 75K an upgrade has been requested for you". No indication that 100K was being treated any different than 75K, and could have been sorted after AA's Platinum Pros instead of ahead of them.
Old May 2, 22, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seacarl View Post
Alaska 100Ks are supposed to be sorted for upgrades after Executive Platinums and ahead of Platinum Pros. The reservation had text that read something like "As an Alaska 75K an upgrade has been requested for you". No indication that 100K was being treated any different than 75K, and could have been sorted after AA's Platinum Pros instead of ahead of them.
My understanding is that AS 100Ks and 75Ks are listed after Platinum Pros on AA.
buschoi likes this.
Old May 2, 22, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
My understanding is that AS 100Ks and 75Ks are listed after Platinum Pros on AA.
Yes, that's correct. It's the way it's supposed to be according to the documentation. Plat Pro is ahead of 100k.

I believe it works the other way too; as an AA EXP I am not ahead of an AS 75k on the AS upgrade list.

Search this Thread