Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Transferring points out of AlaskaAir program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

We relocated from Seattle to the East coast - and dont have much oppty to use Alaska any more. Booking on AA with Alaska miles mostly seems to be a pain.

The issue is that we have 300K+ points at Alaska.

What is the best option (Hotel or airline or other) to transfer miles out of Alaska

Thank you in advance
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:04 pm

You can’t transfer them anywhere..
SEA777GUY, seaipa and Brendan like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by seaipa
We relocated from Seattle to the East coast - and dont have much oppty to use Alaska any more. Booking on AA with Alaska miles mostly seems to be a pbain.

What is the best option (Hotel or airline or other) to transfer miles out of Alaska

Thank you in advance
Welcome to FT!! After 90 post and 90 days as a member you will gain access to the Coupon Connection Forum where you could possibly trade AS booked flights for someone else's booked flights on another airline. Example: you book a flt on AS for me and I'll book a flt for you on UA, DL, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.alaskaair.com/hotels/ would be a way to spend Alaska miles on hotels.
seaipa likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Book AA flights with your AS miles probably would be your best bet. You can also book other partner flights (including AA) if you decide to travel internationally.
seaipa likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by seaipa
We relocated from Seattle to the East coast - and dont have much oppty to use Alaska any more. Booking on AA with Alaska miles mostly seems to be a pain.

Thank you in advance
Why do you find booking AA with AS miles ro be pain? That's what I use most of my miles for, seems pretty painless.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:44 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
You can use AS points on some airlines that have a huge reach, such as Emirates, JAL (good business and first availability out of JFK), and AA. You can "transfer" your points out of AS by redeeming on one of those airlines.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Why do you find booking AA with AS miles ro be pain? That's what I use most of my miles for, seems pretty painless.
Whenever I try to book AA flights with AS miles, and I know the flight is available with AA miles, BA Avios, and Qantas miles, AS Website tells me it's either totally unavailable or available on one leg in F/J the other in Y at the F/J price. One must phone AS to speak to an agent to access some special "database" to find availability!
Also, AS charges a Partner Booking Fee of $12.50 per one-way !
cur likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:33 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Brendan
Whenever I try to book AA flights with AS miles, and I know the flight is available with AA miles, BA Avios, and Qantas miles, AS Website tells me it's either totally unavailable or available on one leg in F/J the other in Y at the F/J price. One must phone AS to speak to an agent to access some special "database" to find availability!
Also, AS charges a Partner Booking Fee of $12.50 per one-way !
Their award booking interface is indeed clunky.

$12.50 is a lot better than the YQ (fuel surcharge) other airlines like LH AC and BA charge. And no phone reservation fee either.
Seattle123 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
With 300K, you can fly JFK-HEL-SIN with stopover on AY, SIN-JFK nonstop on SQ a full three times in Economy. Or Partner Business once with miles left over.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by cur
You can use AS points on... Emirates
Ended last year: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners/emirates
sdsearch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.