Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Limited Coach Food Options After January 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limited Coach Food Options After January 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by lalala
hungry passengers are unhappy passengers.
Emotional eating is a big part of the equation.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
AA used to have bistro bags and each passenger picked one up upon boarding. AS’s problem is inconsistency. Some people get their preordered meal others ordered them but will have them cancelled. Some flight attendants welcome people ringing the call but for drinks. Others will follow the rules and ignore it. They really didn’t think through the implementation and what’s the point if it is only for a couple weeks?

AS has not exactly been leading the way in operations these days. Disappointing people even more after weeks of messes is not helping.
the biggest inconsistency is mask compliance. Some FA remind to put mask on after eating and others say nothing.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Bring food and water on board, even if F.
Only one datapoint, but I preordered the miso pork chop 48 hours in advance for today’s JFK-SFO flight. Flight attendant comes by and lets each passenger know there’s no catering, so “we have a piece of bread, a side salad, and a piece of cake.” Um, I’ll pass thanks. Thankfully filled up on chicken strips in the lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:00 pm

Miso pork chop was one of the better things I've ever had on AS. We didn't even need our snacks on a 7 hour flight!
UtilityGuy likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by UtilityGuy
Only one datapoint, but I preordered the miso pork chop 48 hours in advance for today’s JFK-SFO flight. Flight attendant comes by and lets each passenger know there’s no catering, so “we have a piece of bread, a side salad, and a piece of cake.” Um, I’ll pass thanks. Thankfully filled up on chicken strips in the lounge.
FYI the catering at JFK is impacting multiple airlines and is an internal (to the caterer) staffing issue, unrelated to the AFA announcement or AS staffing. In any case, I would be sad to not have my pre-order (coach or F) available.
Carfield, pcoll and UtilityGuy like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UtilityGuy
Hopefully AS will be compensating passengers in F for the lack of proper meals onboard.
notquiteaff and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Hopefully AS will be compensating passengers in F for the lack of proper meals onboard.
I've experienced catering disruptions several times over the past couple of months... don't hold your breath waiting for compensation!
pcoll likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
AA used to do this years ago: bistro bAAg.
right! That’s what I remember!
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Maybe airlines should just stop serving food and treat first class as a big front seat. They're basically busses in the sky, leave airports with just vending machines and keep things to bare minimum so that expectations are set much like paying for bags... that way FAs are just there for human safety warnings.

Bare minimum is better, because once you give people free stuff they'll expect it.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mfolf

Bare minimum is better, because once you give people free stuff they'll expect it.
Free? People in F pay for a meal on most flights as part of their ticket purchase.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nfo-firstClass
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Nope, just like AA with alcohol in MCE: charge the same amount for less and then blatantly lie about it. Race to the bottom continues.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: AS 100K
SEA-AUS on 1/15. My preorder stuck and I did get my item during the flight.

Really surprised that some transcons are being reported as no food/preorder available.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Emotional eating is a big part of the equation.
Lol....part of the "fun" of traveling (for me at least) is that I give myself permission to eat anything I want compared to being at home when virtually everything has to be tracked on my Weight Watchers app so yes, food on the plane and in the lounge is an important part of the travel equation
anteater, 985X, UtilityGuy and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by mfolf

LOL, FREE? What “free” stuff are you getting? I’ve had to pay for all my flights. My mileage tickets also have a cost, earned with my money in their pocket and my butt in their seat missing family time. Hell even my non-rev tickets had a cost…my sweat and many holidays missed due work. I’m pretty sure that’s close to the same pattern most FT’ers have traveling. Maybe you want to rethink your statement?
be_rettSEA and UtilityGuy like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Update from my original post: today after spending $30 for airport food, I received the pre-order fruit and cheese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.