Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Processor Insight for Companions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

And there is a workaround (splitting) for people who would rather be upgraded than stay together.
That works if both travelers have the same status, but presumably not in situations (like mine) where one traveler has lower or no status.

Obviously, when I travel alone, I don’t want to have my upgrade delayed because of a pair of travelers being ahead of me because I might not be able to choose my meal. But when I travel with my spouse, I really hate it when we get skipped over as it takes away a significant benefit of elite status. Most of the time I am traveling with my spouse, so I would prefer if they handled the dual-traveler case better.

I don’t recall how UA handles it, but in many years of 1K-ness I don’t actually recall getting skipped over. I do recall occasionally getting called to the counter and offered one upgrade for the two of us.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But when I travel with my spouse, I really hate it when we get skipped over as it takes away a significant benefit of elite status.
I suggest that we agree on a date we all call Customer Care and flood their day saying just that.

Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by leroix
2 100k’s on an itin this week and at check-in we were #2 and #3 on upgrade list. 3 open seats in F. Watched #1 disappear just after check-in at T-24 and then #4 at around T-8, and then #5 disappear off the list around T-4 - with open seats in F disappearing in tandem. Super frustrating. Alaska clearly knows this is an issue by the shady way they display the upgrades on the screens in the boarding area - the actual folks upgraded disappear from the list, yet we were left on the list as upgraded to premium (which we were since booking!) . I decided to split the itin for the return tickets, so hopefully one of us gets an UG if U space opens…
On a recent MKE to SEA flight, there were 7 open F seats available at gate. I was #1 with19 people on the upgrade list. #5 & #6 got upgraded first (a couple, taking the last seat together), and rest, populated shortly later. Tho I wasn't happy I was placed in Row 4, am glad they tried to accommodate a couple who would have eventually asked inside the cabin to switching seats within F)

Jiburi
notquiteaff and Klrduks like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leroix
At a conflict, the automated processor should stop assignments until the revenue management algorithm releases the next seat — and if no seats are released to resolve the conflict, the system should wait until the flight is under gate control - the gate agent can perform the customer service to ask if pax want to split and assign to next on list if not…

Potentially this system would also allow higher priority pax to (automatically) still get that single U assignment - also a plus in my mind.
But this has downsides as well.

First of all, that U space can be taken by someone with a paid or instrument upgrade (or the first class seats could just be sold) while it's in limbo. It could be somehow "locked" but that would probably require a new booking code and an awful lot of work.

Second, there are advantages to being upgraded early rather than at the gate, other than preventing your first class seat from being bought out from under you -- a different poster mentioned wanting to pre-order meals. So this solution is somewhat diluting the benefit of having upgrades confirmed early.

I'm just pointing out that there is no "perfect" solution here, everything has its pros and cons.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Things are becoming a lot more clear to me. I’m 0/4 on upgrades this year as a 100k with a companion. Similar experience where there are between 3 and 7 seats(marketed and also shown on EF) on each flight at T-24 (even more at T-120).

# 1 and 2 on the UG list. List gets shorter and FC seats fill in tandem, yet we remain on the list.

Have not had this problem before OneWorld. As a 75k in the previous 5 years, I’ve had a success rate of about 75% with a companion.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clarrkkent
Things are becoming a lot more clear to me. I’m 0/4 on upgrades this year as a 100k with a companion. Similar experience where there are between 3 and 7 seats(marketed and also shown on EF) on each flight at T-24 (even more at T-120).

# 1 and 2 on the UG list. List gets shorter and FC seats fill in tandem, yet we remain on the list.

Have not had this problem before OneWorld. As a 75k in the previous 5 years, I’ve had a success rate of about 75% with a companion.
I think the OW thing is just coincidental. This has been a common complaint for quite a while. As someone who almost always travels solo I know I've been the beneficiary of this several times.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:42 am

The recent upgrade pattern for my wife and me suggests for our latest flight that we only got to sit together because another two shared a reservation, and they could say the same about us.

If one party instead had been on two separate reservations, the other party wouldn’t have been given seats next to each other by the discriminatory practice of Alaska’s automated upgrade processor, which prioritizes individuals over multi-passenger parties, not just for the sequence of being given upgrades, but also for being assigned a seat next to no one.

In other words, the upgrade algoritm is designed to give a higher priority to seating a party of one next to an empty seat than to seating a party of two together, even if the two are both 100Ks and the one is a base MVP. One may say that such a way of conducting business is not the most efficient use of space. One could even say the hostile policy may well turn away customers.

The layout of our latest flight is as follows.

X: taken seat
O: empty seat

At T-25, 4 taken seats, 12 empty seats:
OO XX
OX OO
OO OO
OX OO
Seven on upgrade list with 1,2 and 5,6 being parties of two.

At T-22, 11 taken seats, 5 empty seats:
XX XX
OX XX
OX XO
OX XO
Seven upgraded to F, none left on upgrade list.

If one of the two parties of two had been two parties of one each been given a seat next to an empty one, the other party of two would have separated.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG
So I am within my 72 hour MVPG upgrade window (between 70-71 hours to be exact), there are at least 4+ U space available according to website when searching for MVPG Guest upgrades (7 empty seats in F), yet my 2 pax itinerary (MVPG + MVP) has not been processed for upgrade. I chatted online and was told that because I was with MVP companion that we would not be processed automatically and would be processed by airport.
Does the upgrade processor only process one at a time, even when there are multiple U available?

Anecdotally, we have been upgraded together before airport as recently as last November.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by spgaston
So I am within my 72 hour MVPG upgrade window (between 70-71 hours to be exact), there are at least 4+ U space available according to website when searching for MVPG Guest upgrades (7 empty seats in F), yet my 2 pax itinerary (MVPG + MVP) has not been processed for upgrade. I chatted online and was told that because I was with MVP companion that we would not be processed automatically and would be processed by airport.
Does the upgrade processor only process one at a time, even when there are multiple U available?

Anecdotally, we have been upgraded together before airport as recently as last November.
I (75k) was upgraded with MVP companion before airport as recently as February.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I (75k) was upgraded with MVP companion before airport as recently as February.
same. Many times.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite

It seems like the windows are more like -4 hrs from what they're quoted.. So I'd assume (so long as U remains 2+ at least) within a few hours you'll both clear. Have not heard of Gold's w/ status companions requiring gate control to receive upgrades..
dayone likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by samosa
same. Many times.
Another confirmation for 75K + MVP upgrade just today. I did notice recent upgrades never happened exactly at the time it should, but 2-4 hours later.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by frankvb
Another confirmation for 75K + MVP upgrade just today.
Would you happen to have a waitlist progress outline handy?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
It seems like the windows are more like -4 hrs from what they're quoted.. So I'd assume (so long as U remains 2+ at least) within a few hours you'll both clear. Have not heard of Gold's w/ status companions requiring gate control to receive upgrades..
Yeah that was what I am hoping. There is U=7 available right now, but we are now 4 hours past the beginning of the window. Would be nice if they processed available upgrades in a timely manner so we don't need to wonder if something is wrong.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Yeah that was what I am hoping. There is U=7 available right now, but we are now 4 hours past the beginning of the window. Would be nice if they processed available upgrades in a timely manner so we don't need to wonder if something is wrong.
If it goes past T-5 the window, call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.