Wiki Posts
Search

Using Alaska Miles on LATAM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Using Alaska Miles on LATAM

The Alaska site shows you can use miles for travel on LATAM. Is this still possible, especially since Delta owns part of LATAM.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkkth
The Alaska site shows you can use miles for travel on LATAM. Is this still possible, especially since Delta owns part of LATAM.
When LATAM left the Oneworld alliance/Delta buy in it remained a ff partner of all OW airlines, except AA. AS joined OW later
https://www.latam.com/en_nz/about-us...elta-alliance/
We know how important it is for you to maintain your benefits and the level of your experience. For this reason we are working so that, after the departure of oneworld, agreements with most airlines (British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7Airlines and SriLankan Airlines) are maintained.

These benefits are:
  • Access to their destination network
  • VIP Lounge access
  • Agreements for earning and redeeming miles
  • Recognition of elite members and delivery of associated benefits
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bkkth
Yes. You just have to call. Availability is out there, but not easy to come by.
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:17 am

Hi, has anyone managed to book award flight between AKL-SCL on Latam, after over an hour's waiting over the phone the agent said she can see availability but could not book them, she also said all bookable latam flights are available on alaska's website however I don't see any LA award flight on alaska at all.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Still
Hi, has anyone managed to book award flight between AKL-SCL on Latam, after over an hour's waiting over the phone the agent said she can see availability but could not book them, she also said all bookable latam flights are available on alaska's website however I don't see any LA award flight on alaska at all.
The agent can't book it because you can't redeem miles on LA from South America to the South Pacific.

The agent is incorrect, LA flights, like CX, can only be booked by calling AS. They do not show online. QF is a good place to check availability.

James
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The agent can't book it because you can't redeem miles on LA from South America to the South Pacific.

The agent is incorrect, LA flights, like CX, can only be booked by calling AS. They do not show online. QF is a good place to check availability.

James
Thanks for the info. I knew she was incorrect about LA flights available online as the Alaska website specifically stated to call to book LA flights, but I was unsure about award flights between AKL-SCL.
Old May 3, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

You don't see "South Pacific" here, right? Award charts are on alaskaair.com. Not on a chart, can't book it. This isn't like AA where there is an award for every possible region to every possible region.
Still likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS AA
I tried to book Fiji-HNL-LAX, but the system wouldn't allow it either, so the connecting point matters too.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by alfrie
I tried to book Fiji-HNL-LAX, but the system wouldn't allow it either, so the connecting point matters too.
That isn't a valid routing. FJ from NZ/AU to NAN and then either Mainland USA or Honolulu will be the termination of the award. Similarly, you can't book Asia to HNL/Mainland USA on FJ through NAN.

Inter-Asia awards no longer allow a stopover. You can book SQ from MNL-TPE with a connection in SIN but you can't have a stopover there.

When SQ awards came online, there was a glitch that allowed stopovers outside of SIN and were priced at inter‐Asia award levels; a 25K J award MNL-TPE with a stopover in London, for example.

Stopovers on Inter-Asia awards were quashed pretty quickly & JL stopovers followed suit. You could fly JL J SIN-TYO-DEL for 25K, two 7+ hour flights with lie-flats, and stopover in TYO. You can still fly that route for 25K miles but you can no longer stopover in TYO.

Stopovers are still permited on SQ & JL if they include a flight to/from North America.

With CX, all awards terminate in HKG, unless you are coming from or going to North America, so you can't fly SIN-HKG-ICN for instance, that would require two awards; however you could fly CX SIN-HKG-North America, with or without a stopover in HKG. CX awards HKG-EU are also available but require a seperate award, even if from/to North America.

James
Old May 4, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by alfrie
HNL is never, ever a connecting point because US-Hawaii and v.v. is a different award that AS likes to offer and charge more miles for . It can be a *termination* point as Flying for Fun points out, some (but not all) AS awards can go XXX-USA(stop)-Hawaii.

For instance, you can run a Mexico-USA(stop)-Hawaii set of flights involving AA (AA chart for AS allows this) and have the stop be at your home for a few months (if AS allows it, usually AS hubs are safe) and get two vacation flights for the price of one; some FTers just do these awards back to back (Mexico-US-Hawaii, Hawaii-US-Mexico) and daisy chain as long as you can find availability.

Other award types like this are around too, the AS chart is quirky but sometimes the quirks work in your favor.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

For instance, you can run a Mexico-USA(stop)-Hawaii set of flights involving AA (AA chart for AS allows this) and have the stop be at your home for a few months (if AS allows it, usually AS hubs are safe) and get two vacation flights for the price of one; some FTers just do these awards back to back (Mexico-US-Hawaii, Hawaii-US-Mexico) and daisy chain as long as you can find availability.
Also from other short-haul AA international destinations. Last week, I flew the first half of an AA J award, LIR-HNL with a 5 month stopover in JFK.

James
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Bumping this thread up with a question:

I found award space on JFK-GRU (with "Latam Brazil") and managed to get an agent to hold a seat although we were unable to process the payment.

When I called back today, I was advised that flights operated by Latam Brazil are not eligible for redemption while all others in the Latam family are.

This is seems like a bizarre and massive omission -- almost as if someone lost their to do list and forgot to clean up the agreement with Latam after the LAN/TAM merger.

Has anyone had an experience with the above / been successful making a Latam Brazil booking?
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Giving this a bump after a few weeks to see if anyone happens to have any insights into this "no Latam Brazil" oddity.

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Bumping this thread up with a question:

I found award space on JFK-GRU (with "Latam Brazil") and managed to get an agent to hold a seat although we were unable to process the payment.

When I called back today, I was advised that flights operated by Latam Brazil are not eligible for redemption while all others in the Latam family are.

This is seems like a bizarre and massive omission -- almost as if someone lost their to do list and forgot to clean up the agreement with Latam after the LAN/TAM merger.

Has anyone had an experience with the above / been successful making a Latam Brazil booking?
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Giving this a bump after a few weeks to see if anyone happens to have any insights into this "no Latam Brazil" oddity.
My guess is that they never signed a new partner agreement after the TAM merger, and LATAM Brazil doesn't provide connecting traffic to AS anyways since they don't fly to the west coast. I don't think you can even put flights between the two on the same cash ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K
have you HUCA and been told the same thing? I agree with you that it's odd that LA-Brazil flights are not possible for redemption when earning miles on cash tickets on those flights number are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.