Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Alaska Miles on LATAM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Does anyone know if LATAM is visible on Expert Flyer?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Does anyone know if LATAM is visible on Expert Flyer?
For awards and upgrades, it is not.

James
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
LA will NOT check your bag through on separate tickets, even if LA to LA connection.
Thanks for the heads up, I decided to give AS a call since the wait is only a few minutes. Got lucky to have a very experienced agent, added a segment, collected a few dollars in additional tax, and off I go after just a minute or two with her on the phone. Now I have a through ticket

On a side note, I see the date I want to fly, the fare from CUZ to LIM with checked bags (1) is about 140, and 3 bags is about 180, which is much more than I thought. I was thinking it is like 50-100 the most. I usually travel with 2 checked bags on long trips, so AS miles pays off.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:06 pm

I still think they should have some sort of award chart so we don't have to call. I was trying to book lax-scl-ipc (Santiago to Easter Island). The agent confirmed one way, multi-city or stopover is not possible, because SCL-IPC will always need an extra reward, a separate PNR, and a reward booking fee itself. Nice to see LATAM releases many J seats between SCL-IPC. Before covid, it is also impossible to use miles on this monopoly route, not to mention it is the February high season.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Does anybody know if I can book a layover on LATAM? I've already booked AEP-SCL-BOG. I want to add BOG-MIA a couple days after arriving at BOG. The AS website doesn't seem to allow the layover.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Does anybody know if I can book a layover on LATAM? I've already booked AEP-SCL-BOG. I want to add BOG-MIA a couple days after arriving at BOG. The AS website doesn't seem to allow the layover.
Stopovers are definitely allowed on Latam using AS miles. In 2023 I've booked JFK - LIM (5 day stop), LIM - SCL - MVD, as well as COR - SCL (5 day stop), SCL - JFK. Unfortunately I don't have a list of cities (beyond LIM and SCL) where stopovers are permitted.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
FWIW I've always had to call in to get stopovers to work for them. Of course, they've only added LATAM availability to the website as of two months ago, so it's not a stretch to say the website may not be equipped to handle more "complex" itineraries. Definitely possible though.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:26 am

FYI, on LATAM, stopover is available to limited cities. In Brazil, GRU is the only airport. The agent also told me it also includes LIM. There are maybe a few others out there, i didn't catch if it is Ecuador and/or el salvador
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by simonsuo
FYI, on LATAM, stopover is available to limited cities. In Brazil, GRU is the only airport. The agent also told me it also includes LIM. There are maybe a few others out there, i didn't catch if it is Ecuador and/or el salvador
I tried to book a ticket to PNT or PUQ to go to Patagonia, but it does not show me the direct LAX > SCL option, If I select only LAX > SCL, it will show up. once adding PNT or PUQ as the destination, then they will only show the LIM transit option.
I assume 23 transit time is allowed in SCL, if they allow stopover there on a one way search.
If I tag on SFO to LAX, boi, it got even worse.....

in this case sounds like i ll need to call them to book the LATAM ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ddlo1982
I tried to book a ticket to PNT or PUQ to go to Patagonia, but it does not show me the direct LAX > SCL option, If I select only LAX > SCL, it will show up. once adding PNT or PUQ as the destination, then they will only show the LIM transit option.
I assume 23 transit time is allowed in SCL, if they allow stopover there on a one way search.
If I tag on SFO to LAX, boi, it got even worse.....

in this case sounds like i ll need to call them to book the LATAM ticket.
It isn't clear if you've tried the website's multi-city functionality, or just one-way. It also isn't clear whether you located SCL - PNT/PUQ availability for your preferred dates.

If LAX - SCL shows up as available as a simple one-way on your preferred date, and you also see SCL - PNT/PUQ availability on your preferred date, and if the multi-city tool does not provide you what you want, then I advise playing with the multi-city tool, using different (later) dates on the SCL - PNT/PUQ leg, complete online ticketing, and then first trying to change the date of the second segment of the ticketed reservation online, and if that fails, try calling to change the SCL - PNT/PUQ date.

ime, the first level of telephone support at AS has zero knowledge about LATAM, and any time spent with them (other than providing the PNR once ticketed) will be confusing, frustrating and misleading. Until you are transferred to the Partner Award desk, ime AS telephone support is "worse than useless".
ddlo1982 likes this.

Last edited by jbalmuth; Feb 25, 2023 at 5:38 pm Reason: Changed last line to quote Warren Buffett
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
It isn't clear if you've tried the website's multi-city functionality, or just one-way. It also isn't clear whether you located SCL - PNT/PUQ availability for your preferred dates.

If LAX - SCL shows up as available as a simple one-way on your preferred date, and you also see SCL - PNT/PUQ availability on your preferred date, and if the multi-city tool does not provide you what you want, then I advise playing with the multi-city tool, using different (later) dates on the SCL - PNT/PUQ leg, complete online ticketing, and then first trying to change the date of the second segment of the ticketed reservation online, and if that fails, try calling to change the SCL - PNT/PUQ date.

ime, the first level of telephone support at AS has zero knowledge about LATAM, and any time spent with them (other than providing the PNR once ticketed) will be confusing, frustrating and misleading. Until you are transferred to the Partner Award desk, ime AS telephone support is "worse than useless".

I only tried using one way option to check on the availabilities so far. When tried only SCL > PNT, it won't show any result at all; if uncheck the option to 'use miles' it will give an error of ""PNT" is available for award reservations only. Please enter a different city or select Use Miles."
Only show result if LAX > PNT is used, but this way, it won't show the direct LAX > SCL option, all routed thru Lima. But if you search LAX > SCL only, then the direct, and one stop @ LIM option will show in the result.

Last edited by ddlo1982; Feb 27, 2023 at 2:19 pm Reason: removing the giant screenshots.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:18 pm

geez, the screenshots are soooo big once attached to the post
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:04 pm

Using calendar view, I see that there are lots of LAX - SCL and SCL - PUQ redemptions on LATAM available in April. The first two dates I tried, April 2 and April 19, using one-way LAX - PUQ offered the LAX - SCL nonstop (LA 603) in J connecting then to PUQ at various times. Since you are permitted a free stopover in SCL, I also checked multi-city with the first segment being April 19 and second segment a later date in April, and each connecting date that I tried worked.

It's the best use of 45k AS miles that I can think of....
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:22 pm

oh, my LAX to PNT one way priced at 30k+27. I will try the dates you checked in a bit.
Thanks again !!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
For those of you who've managed to redeem miles on Latam, I'd recommend that you aggressively monitor your reservation. Between Latam's schedule changes and Alaska's pretty crappy schedule change clean-ups, I have a few hot messes on my hands.

For example, one LIM-LAX-SFO business class redemption has turned into a LIM-JFK-SFO economy ticket (with Delta JFK-SFO?!). I only noticed this because I saw the flight appear on my Delta account since I'd added my Delta number for the hell of it as always. Anyway, I haven't called Alaska to attempt a clean up yet, but it shouldn't be this hard.
simonsuo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.