Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

In-Flight Service Reductions for January 2022

In-Flight Service Reductions for January 2022

Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 75K
The funny thing is the FC bathroom on the B737 is really small and cramped compared to the ones at the back of the plane. Admittedly, neither are large but the one in FC has terrible height clearance and at 6'4" I'm always standing there with my head crammed against the ceiling. And, with only one it can get overrun even with the small number of people.... and then there's the pilots getting up to stretch their legs so an FA "stands guard" for +/- 10 minutes. IMO, the best bathroom situation is actually being seated near the back of the plane. Short walk, several to choose from, taller, no pilots standing in the way AND apparently now that's where I've got to go for drinks #2 - #10
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:04 pm

funny about that red rope but people were less likely to move the rope and walk forward then to push the curtain aside. The red rope was one of the things I liked about the Virgin planes before they were reconfigured.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The red rope was a genius idea and very effective. I vote for a blue rope.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Perhaps MTA can be of help!
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Originally Posted by mtofell
The funny thing is the FC bathroom on the B737 is really small and cramped compared to the ones at the back of the plane. Admittedly, neither are large but the one in FC has terrible height clearance and at 6'4" I'm always standing there with my head crammed against the ceiling. And, with only one it can get overrun even with the small number of people.... and then there's the pilots getting up to stretch their legs so an FA "stands guard" for +/- 10 minutes. IMO, the best bathroom situation is actually being seated near the back of the plane. Short walk, several to choose from, taller, no pilots standing in the way AND apparently now that's where I've got to go for drinks #2 - #10
Is it weird that I actually use my head against the ceiling to help balance when I’m standing in there? On transcons, I normally just use the bathrooms in the back of the plane to help stretch my legs (sometimes the FAs will tell me I can just use the front one, but the walking helps quite a bit).
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingOptimist
Is it weird that I actually use my head against the ceiling to help balance when I’m standing in there? On transcons, I normally just use the bathrooms in the back of the plane to help stretch my legs (sometimes the FAs will tell me I can just use the front one, but the walking helps quite a bit).
If the cart isn't in the way, I like to use the lavs in the back too....even when I'm in First....makes for a nice walk.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I basically treat the coach cabin on AS the way I treat WN. It’s fine for an hour or two, but beyond that, the big 3 are a better option. This “change” cements that opinion.

Still I’m generally happy with AS F service. I had a great flight back from Kona on New Years Day with outstanding service and the food was quite good too.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K

I lean my head against the ceiling while using the front lavatory too. And most of the time I prefer walking to the rear, especially midair on a Transcon, so I can check the floor of all 3 rear lavatories and pick the cleanest one.
joachimm likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 985X
I lean my head against the ceiling while using the front lavatory too. And most of the time I prefer walking to the rear, especially midair on a Transcon, so I can check the floor of all 3 rear lavatories and pick the cleanest one.
[Things one should keep to him/her/it/them/selves.]

I will sometimes lean my head against my arm, which is holding a clean paper towel, against the curve in the ceiling for stability if the plane is shaking a bit. As far as bringing this around to the thread title, I'd expect that inflight service reductions should make the excuses quite limited for Y use of the F lav.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
What's weird is discussing bathroom technique on an internet discussion board. But since we are, this is the proper technique if you are over 6'1" I'd guess. I'm 6'4" and there's not much I can do about it in the front lavs. I also use the rear lavs for room and to stretch the legs. Get some funny looks in premium class as I'm exiting F.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
As much as I appreciate the noted logistics of a room too small to change your mind, I think I’ll skip breakfast this morning. 😛 But yes, I was once surprised that the F lav isn't bigger or gold plated.
UtilityGuy and Seattle123 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:38 am

This bathroom talk reminds me of an old Married with Children episode where Al Bundy was building a "man's" bathroom designed with 4 rolls of toilet paper holders. Anyway, the int'l F lavatory is what I imagine when referring to "F" latrines, where, if one were inclined (I'm certainly not but to each his own), after dinner a pax can take a magazine, stroll in there, and leisurely take care of business with ample room.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
where would you draw the line, and why? And how would you want that enforced? Just the first four or five rows of Coach? And what happens if someone from the 7th row in Coach comes up, then someone from the 8th row, then someone from the 10th, then the 2nd row in Coach... And when and how do you draw the line? What do you tell the person who you deny coming forward and why?
Perhaps the FAs doing beverage service in the back could hand out a Lav Pass to PC passengers that entitle to a single visit to the F lavatory. Or it could be a choice for MVPG - potty pass or chocolate bar.

/s

Completely agree with you, of course.
AS Flyer, samosa, joachimm and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I have flown a mix of flights over last 7 days, some shorter hops, and a couple of 4+ hour flights.

On one 4+ hour flight in First, only one beverage service was offered (before the meal) and no refills with the meal (I could see most folks like myself also choking down their food with nothing to wash it down with). No refills were offered (to anyone) but on specific request one of the flight attendants from Economy got me a second beverage some time after the meal was cleared while we he was guarding the galley for the pilots to use the restroom.

This contrasted to a return flight where the F flight attendant couldn't have been more accommodating and personable, and wine was flowing freely and double mini's offered automatically to all ordering cocktails and near constant cabin patrols.

It's very much crew dependent on the day it seems these days as to the experience you'll get with Alaska.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I tried to post this as a reply to the article on the front of the website, but apparently there was an objectionable word in there:

My main objection to things like this is...well, frankly, in at least some cases passengers paid for a ticket that had "X" included (whatever X happens to be...alcoholic beverages, an in-flight meal, etc.) and now it's not there. If you've got a direct/non-stop flight this can be worked around to a large extent, but if you've got a bad connection (not exactly implausible in a lot of cases) then the loss of the meal (and thus potentially having to spring for an airport-price meal) can easily be a hit of $15-30.

So even stipulating that this is "actually" for health/safety reasons (versus being a staffing/supply chain issue), the "right" answer would be for AS to offer pax some form of a voucher/reimbursement (potentially in the form of a credit with a "long tail" expiration) up to a given value for grabbing a meal at either their departure or connecting airport. Bluntly, if they can't/won't provide on-board meals for these longer flights, they can at *least* deal with it and comp folks a trip to the airport McDonald's.
Once upon a time, in the same galaxy, but at a time far far away, I was on a published meal flight ... mind you, this was at a time when AS served a three course meal between the Pac NW and the SF Bay Area. (Yes, three real courses, similar to what you might get on a transcon now.) I "wasted" upgrade certificates on the published meal flight because, why wouldn't you. And then, AS decided not to serve a full meal. I wrote it up and AS sent me a check sufficient to go out for a nice dinner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.