Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Change but Cannot Reach Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It's usually best to call on a weekday morning, like after 6:00 am PT.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
It's usually best to call on a weekday morning, like after 6:00 am PT.
Right but the flight is today so was trying to be good citizen and free up the seats since no way we are making that flight.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yeah, it's obviously a complete meltdown over at AS right now. My call backs are currently ranging from 12 hours to never.
Melt down is an understatement. On the AS internal site, Ben finally acknowledged that he and his team were unprepared for where they’re at now. But, that does little to help a nonstop to an overnight connection flight change victim. Luckily I was able to take advantage of the waiver and move my Jan AS flying to February. Hopefully the initial operational mess will smooth out as they trim the schedule and the Feb flights will operate.
olouie, 985X and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Twitter team not responding either and i think they can’t help with reservations anymore. Guess I will find out today what happens.
Yeah...the Twitter team is nice but no longer deals with reservation issues which is unfortunate since AS could use the extra reservations support right now.
olouie and Tack like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Flight change after a schedule change online

I noticed that Alaska has a banner above a schedule changed reservation now.

On the reservation page, it allows you to directly change the flight.

Alaska reservation change banner

Once you click "Change", they show this notice. I can confirm that the price for any flights +/- 1 day is $0 if I want to change my flight.

Alaska change reservation notice

However, I also had another flight that had a schedule change, and the system would not let me change online. I asked Alaska and they told me because I used a discount code, I had to change through them.
But for any other flights that you booked directly via Alaska, this online option really helps!
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:24 pm

This happened to me just yesterday morning. My flight from Portland to Phoenix via SFO was canceled and the replacement they wanted to give me left almost at the same time, leaving me no time to turn it down. I opted to cancel my flight and not go. I actually did reach someone a few hours after the new flight was to takeoff, they took care of it, they told me that now they are giving a 7 to 10 day grace period for the situation due to people not being able to get through. So in short, you will be taken care of and not penalized (if you are choosing not to travel vs. an alternate itinerary).
Carfield, olouie, Tack and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by burningflames
I noticed that Alaska has a banner above a schedule changed reservation now.

On the reservation page, it allows you to directly change the flight.

Alaska reservation change banner

Once you click "Change", they show this notice. I can confirm that the price for any flights +/- 1 day is $0 if I want to change my flight.

Alaska change reservation notice

However, I also had another flight that had a schedule change, and the system would not let me change online. I asked Alaska and they told me because I used a discount code, I had to change through them.
But for any other flights that you booked directly via Alaska, this online option really helps!
If using a discount code like a companion certificate or customer care discount code disqualifies a reservation from being able to be changed online then most of my reservations wouldn't qualify for online changes....seems like they are creating more work for their reservation agents with this policy.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
You can change from app as well

From the AS app, click on the three dots next to your itinerary banner. Option for change should appear. Follow the link and select the best option.

For me, i decided to change to alternate airport. I was originally booked from JFK but looked at LGA and EWR. Some option even entirely on AA were some alternative with free change option. I decided on EWR nonstop option however.

Jiburi
dayone likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by burningflames
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If using a discount code like a companion certificate or customer care discount code disqualifies a reservation from being able to be changed online then most of my reservations wouldn't qualify for online changes....seems like they are creating more work for their reservation agents with this policy.
Perhaps it's an issue with discount code + schedule change? At what point did it not allow the change?

I have a few reservations booked with discount codes that I can at least get to a point where I can select "Change flight", choose a date, and bring up a page with that has different flight options to select from. Haven't attempted to proceed from there though.

But for one of my itineraries with a cancellation, this ability went away.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by econ
Perhaps it's an issue with discount code + schedule change? At what point did it not allow the change?

I have a few reservations booked with discount codes that I can at least get to a point where I can select "Change flight", choose a date, and bring up a page with that has different flight options to select from. Haven't attempted to proceed from there though.

But for one of my itineraries with a cancellation, this ability went away.
The reservation with the discount code is changeable usually. I have a bunch of other bookings that also use a discount code. But once the schedule change happened, I didn't confirm it, but any attempt to Change or Cancel will show a popup saying that I need to contact reservations to make changes.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by jiburi
From the AS app, click on the three dots next to your itinerary banner. Option for change should appear. Follow the link and select the best option.

For me, i decided to change to alternate airport. I was originally booked from JFK but looked at LGA and EWR. Some option even entirely on AA were some alternative with free change option. I decided on EWR nonstop option however.

Jiburi
mine specifically says a change can’t be made online and I must call to modify.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
When changes hit my flight during holiday cancellations I couldn’t change my reservation. But reservations for my in laws with no status were easy to fix. When I called in I had one agent who explained part of the problem was the premium class auto upgrades were locking up the reservation. She had a had to remove the upgrade request to make changes and reapply upgrade request. So for being MVPG on a higher fare ticket I was stuck needing agent assistance.
olouie likes this.

Last edited by williwaw; Jan 9, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I've also got a problem here... I'm trying to log into manage my booking, but only get this response "Due to flight schedule changes, manual assistance is required on this reservation. Call Alaska Airlines at 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522) at your earliest convenience."

... which isn't great, seeing that I'm based in the UK and a BA FF membership (OW Emerald) rather than an Alaska account. Can't imagine I'll be given the option to get a callback to a UK number at a sensible time for me!

I'm flying to LAX on the 14th & then on to HNL with Alaska on the 15th. Guess I can just turn up at the airport as the outbound flight is still in the schedule. Looks like my return HNL-SFO is cancelled though, so guess I'll be going back via SEA...

Any advice for international travellers on this issue? There's no London / UK office.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by DeanB
Any advice for international travellers on this issue? There's no London / UK office.
Have you tried the online chat option on the website? I've been mostly using this option lately to deal with advance rebooking due to schedule changes. I'm usually able to get in touch with an agent faster this way rather than calling in, although I still had to wait an hour or so last week.
DeanB likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I wrote this script for my iPhone, but the gold desk line hangs up once it says "your call may be monitored or recorded". It's been running all day with no luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.