Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

British Airways Seat Selection for AS (oneworld) Elites - What's the Latest Trick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Seat Selection for AS (oneworld) Elites - What's the Latest Trick?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
....Something changed overnight that I could select seats now on the BA site, but it wants to charge me. I found another thread with some related info, so I think my first step is to call AA to get my AS MP ID associated with the booking in their system..
People have reported Finnair manage my booking works in changing the ffn.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
People have reported Finnair manage my booking works in changing the ffn.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and could only view my reservation, not select seats or make changes, but I did finally meet with success.

I called AA, and a very nice agent was able to change my FFN on each segment from my AA # to AS's. About 10 minutes later, I was able to select seats for free on ba.com, where before it said I would have to pay.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Mar 28, 2022 at 7:42 pm
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and could only view my reservation, not select seats or make changes, but I did finally meet with success.

I called AA, and a very nice agent was able to change my FFN on each segment from my AA's to AS's. About 10 minutes later, I was able to select seats for free on ba.com, where before it said I would have to pay.
Finnair normally allows you to change ffn. Not seat selection. But AS / AA use SABRE
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:04 am

I was able to select seats with help earlier in this thread, but in Main Cabin/Economy.

Next question:

A 75K friend who booked on BA through the AS site was able to select a seat for free in PE (different destination), and I can't find info that clarifies whether we should always be able to, only that "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" is "In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight."

So, as ASGold100Ks, should we always be able to select seats for free in PE on BA at booking?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
So, as ASGold100Ks, should we always be able to select seats for free in PE on BA at booking?
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat
For oneworld Emerald, "Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking and friends and family on other bookings, who are travelling with you in the same travel class and on the same flight."
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by remyjette
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat
For oneworld Emerald, "Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking and friends and family on other bookings, who are travelling with you in the same travel class and on the same flight."
Thank you, @remyjette! That clarifies my booking. [Update: I booked BA flights on AA's site with cash.]

Now to clarify my friend's booking. 75K booked BA flights on alaskaair.com using AS miles and chose "Main" as the class of service, not "Partner Premium".

Over on ba.com after making the booking, friend was able to select Premium Economy seats for all segments, and was not limited to Economy.

Is that a known feature of booking oneworld partner flights using RDM on alaskaair.com, or did my friend end up able to book Premium when policy would have limited seat selection to Economy? And Yes, I am extraordinarily envious.

75K friend chose Main, not Partner Premium, and was able to book Premium Economy seats for the BA flights.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Apr 3, 2022 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Are you sure those seats are really in the PE cabin, or just seats in the economy cabin (World Traveller) which are designated as needing elite status? Can't remember if that's even a thing in Y as you could probably pay as non-elite to get in those. For business class (intra-Europe) the first row is blocked for BA Golds.

One way to find out is to look at the booking class on the BA website (P is a PE award and X is the Y one).

BTW: for the 10K miles difference it would be almost crazy to select Y over PE.

BTW2: 'for all segments' makes no sense as PE only exists on long-haul BA flights, not on the domestic LHR-GLA leg.

BTW3: fun fact, you can book this with 16250 Avios as a BA redemption (in Y)

Last edited by frankvb; Apr 3, 2022 at 4:06 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by frankvb
Are you sure those seats are really in the PE cabin, or just seats in the economy cabin (World Traveller) which are designated as needing elite status? Can't remember if that's even a thing in Y as you could probably pay as non-elite to get in those. For business class (intra-Europe) the first row is blocked for BA Golds.

One way to find out is to look at the booking class on the BA website (P is a PE award and X is the Y one).

BTW: for the 10K miles difference it would be almost crazy to select Y over PE.

BTW2: 'for all segments' makes no sense as PE only exists on long-haul BA flights, not on the domestic LHR-GLA leg. On the other hand the AS website seems to think the domestic flight has business class which is not the case.
Good clarification. Well, comparing aircraft reported in the details to BA seat maps, I can say that for BNR>LHR, the seat is in "World Traveller Plus" per this map: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Br...ing_787-10.php

And for LHR>GLA, the seat is in row 10, which appears to be the last/exit row of Club Europe: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Br...bus_A319_D.php
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Seat 8 E is a standard Club Europe seat however, this seat is convertible to the Euro Traveller configuration. This plane has a movable divider between the Club Europe and Euro Traveller sections, so many configurations are possible.”

FWIW, OWS will give you access to exit row on a BA plane.

Also, SeatGuru is pretty trash these days. They still have AS flying pmVX planes they haven’t flown for years.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Al...nformation.php
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good clarification. Well, comparing aircraft reported in the details to BA seat maps, I can say that for BNR>LHR, the seat is in "World Traveller Plus" per this map: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Br...ing_787-10.php

And for LHR>GLA, the seat is in row 10, which appears to be the last/exit row of Club Europe: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Br...bus_A319_D.php
Seatguru is known be not up to date.
Aerolopa (by a BA moderator) more reliable. ---->https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-airbus-a319

edit (off topic)
Sticky in AS forum-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...out-plans.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 3, 2022 at 5:29 pm
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
For LHR-GLA the way to figure out is to look at the seatmap and check if the middle seats are there or not. I used Expertflyer and for that flight (BA 1482 on September 27th) only rows 1-5 are Club Europe. 10 DEF are occupied The divider between Club and Y may move, but be sure you will be moved as well in case your seat has moved to another cabin.

Note that BA222 on September 26th seems to be operated by a 787-9, not a 787-10. Rows 16-21 are PE on that type. Of course it would be great if you'd end up in PE for the Y miles!

BTW: my (now deleted) comment about domestic UK only having Y seats was no longer correct. It used to be the case when I lived there.

Last edited by frankvb; Apr 4, 2022 at 6:08 pm
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: MVPG75, Club 49, OWE, Hilton, Bonvoy, Enterprise Plus, MGM, AA, BA
Emerald status and BA seat selection

Am I able to choose CW seats before the 24 hour check-in window, or is paying ahead worth it? I will be traveling with my husband. The trip is in late August. Many thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AkGirl59
Am I able to choose CW seats before the 24 hour check-in window, or is paying ahead worth it? I will be traveling with my husband. The trip is in late August. Many thanks.
You are able to select seats at any time as OWE. The sooner the better chances of getting your preferred seats.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: MVPG75, Club 49, OWE, Hilton, Bonvoy, Enterprise Plus, MGM, AA, BA
Well, I went on the BA site and put my booking code and last name in, per directed. I got the 24 hour check-in message , or of course, they will happily take my seat selection fee now, lol.

Would you advise contacting BA customer service? I assume AS can't help with a partner airline, though I may be wrong.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:14 am

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
It's likely your AS number isn't on your booking. You can sometimes fix that on the BA site or app, but I've had better luck going to finnair.com and doing it there (just enter your BA confirmation code under "manage my booking." Look for where you can enter your frequent traveler number, select Alaska and enter your number). Once done, that may let you select seats on the Finnair site, but if not, give it about 10 minutes, and then you should be able to go back to ba.com / manage my booking and select seats.
Geordie405 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.