Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I didn’t realize that AS started serving Glenfarclas. United also serves them onboard.

So what is up with y’all FT’ers bending forks and spoons damaging silverware? That’s kind of immature in my opinion.
chrisny2 and samosa like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I didn’t realize that AS started serving Glenfarclas.
I noticed Glenfarclas while glancing the offerings on the SFO-HNL yesterday, but the FA told me that it, like the Cruzan, wasn’t onboard.

So what is up with y’all FT’ers bending forks and spoons damaging silverware? That’s kind of immature in my opinion.
I have absolutely no idea what’s going on here!
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I didn’t realize that AS started serving Glenfarclas. United also serves them onboard.

It's extremely rude.
Which we have pointed out to him.
It makes a flight attendant unable to put the item in the catering tray once he's done with it.
It's wasteful of a perfectly good piece of flatware.

Added Moderator Note

Further cutlery discussion is off-topic for this thread and will be deleted. Let's talk about the food and the service.

dayone, AS Moderator
chrisny2, ab2013 and samosa like this.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 4, 2022 at 1:36 pm Reason: Redact overly personal comments.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:18 am

SEA to ANC is 1444 miles and the meals will be identical with meals on SEA-MSP.
You will receive a full breakfast/lunch/dinner service between 5am and 10pm. I believe the current meal window is 5-9:59am Breakfast; 10am-9:59pm Lunch/Dinner

SEA-JNU meal services will be similar to those meals served on SEA-California/Nevada/Colorado flights that you will find on this thread.
Breakfast is a sandwich type or morning protein platter or yogurt parfait meal; Lunch/Dinner is salad or sandwich or protein platter with the same meal window as above.

ANC-PDX-MSP will feature hot meals on both flights, as long as they depart between 5am and 9:59pm.

Alaska does not cater extra meals in first class so you cannot order more than one meal. Unfortunately those pre-order only items like salad/sandwiches are not available for you, since you are in first class and cannot pre-order those items. They only have those snack boxes/picnic packs available for sale and honestly they are nothing special. Of course the F/As will sell them to you if there is any leftover. However, Alaska has those snack basket service in first class on these medium haul flights anyway, so I don't see any reason to try those picnic packs.

ORD-SEA is still medium haul flight and the meal service is the same as MSP-SEA, so I don't see a reason to drive those extra miles for the same meals.
The only true transcontinental flights are those to Hawaii and to the major East Coast and Florida cities. Honestly the meal service on transcontinental and medium haul flights are almost identical post-Pandemic. They are all one-tray services now. Breakfast is almost the same and I think you get a tub of yogurt on transcontinental flight and a larger piece of bread. For lunch and dinner, the difference is a nicer salad & main course.

I hope I answer most of your questions here, but you can go through this thread or the similar thread in 2021. You can find most of the answers to your questions.

Carfield
chrisny2, samosa, pcoll and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Carfield; Mar 10, 2022 at 7:26 am
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pcoll
YES, rum is back!
I'll have to order some just so it becomes/remains popular and it remains onboard, in honor and respect of Bob W.
NoLaGent and Bellerina like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Bellerina
While I would prefer a return of the Chocolate Chip cookie, I am excited that I might get a Snickerdoodle instead of that terrible nutty thing!
Also happy for the rum. While not my usual drink, given some vacations I have coming up, I think it's a good choice. Thanks all who keep updating this thread!
You will find that rum goes exceptionally well with that delicious warm nutty thing.
vanillabean and Bellerina like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Carfield
SEA to ANC is 1444 miles and the meals will be identical with meals on SEA-MSP.
You will receive a full breakfast/lunch/dinner service between 5am and 10pm. I believe the current meal window is 5-9:59am Breakfast; 10am-9:59pm Lunch/Dinner

SEA-JNU meal services will be similar to those meals served on SEA-California/Nevada/Colorado flights that you will find on this thread.
Breakfast is a sandwich type or morning protein platter or yogurt parfait meal; Lunch/Dinner is salad or sandwich or protein platter with the same meal window as above.

ANC-PDX-MSP will feature hot meals on both flights, as long as they depart between 5am and 9:59pm.

Alaska does not cater extra meals in first class so you cannot order more than one meal. Unfortunately those pre-order only items like salad/sandwiches are not available for you, since you are in first class and cannot pre-order those items. They only have those snack boxes/picnic packs available for sale and honestly they are nothing special. Of course the F/As will sell them to you if there is any leftover. However, Alaska has those snack basket service in first class on these medium haul flights anyway, so I don't see any reason to try those picnic packs.

ORD-SEA is still medium haul flight and the meal service is the same as MSP-SEA, so I don't see a reason to drive those extra miles for the same meals.
The only true transcontinental flights are those to Hawaii and to the major East Coast and Florida cities. Honestly the meal service on transcontinental and medium haul flights are almost identical post-Pandemic. They are all one-tray services now. Breakfast is almost the same and I think you get a tub of yogurt on transcontinental flight and a larger piece of bread. For lunch and dinner, the difference is a nicer salad and an extra bread roll.

I hope I answer most of your questions here, but you can go through this thread or the similar thread in 2021. You can find most of the answers to your questions.

Carfield
Thanks for all the info. I had not looked at the 2021, but didn't see any MSP-SEA listed in this one, so figured I would ask. We got approved for the airline card last night, so we can get the mile offer and whatnot, so should be booking soon. After asking about ORD-ANC i noticed there was only one flight of that and it was not going to work for us, and would be breakfast, so figured it was less likely to have any difference in the first place. Also, much as i would like to check out JNU as well, dont think that is going to work out either. Next time I guess, something to use our new miles on. I think with the most affordable option that works with my wife's work schedule, we will be getting 3 lunch/dinner and 1 breakfast to try out.

As far as trying the extra meal options, I read that a place in SEA sells the same F&C that AS has? We could pick that up since it seems super popular, then whatever may be extra available we could buy to try, we will check on with the FA. Didn't figure we would be able to preorder extra, but thought I would ask. I spent a decade working food service and grew up in a very food culture centric family, so I am always curious about trying everything available, be it a restaurant or in this case airline food.

Looking forward to the trip, even though it is one of the more expensive things we have done. My wife and I never got a "real" honeymoon. Also haven't ever taken a trip together that is just us, so this trip will be worth it, expensive or not for us. Have to admit though that with the side motivations, we hopefully won't get too distracted. I hopefully will be starting flight training after our trip, and we are also scouting to see if we actually want to move up to AK, so the trip is both practical and adventure. If I do enjoy AS on this trip and hopefully a few others, I have been thinking once I get flight training and build up hours, it may be ideal (given our plans to move to AK) if I could get on at Horizon and work my way up to AS. My daughters have even been discussing lately that it would be cool to be a pilot or FA when they get older... who knows what the future holds.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
It never hurst to ask nicely. I’m 3/3 on getting extra meals for free on transcons (2 F&Cs and 1 full entree, plus the Y FAs let me raid the for sale snack drawer).
samosa and Bellerina like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Alaska does not cater extra meals in first class so you cannot order more than one meal.
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It never hurst to ask nicely. I’m 3/3 on getting extra meals for free on transcons (2 F&Cs and 1 full entree, plus the Y FAs let me raid the for sale snack drawer).
I've also received an extra meal before, though not necessarily intentionally, so I think it may depend on the route, F cabin size/load/if everyone wants a meal or maybe other factors, too. I had pre-ordered one option, then a few days before the flight (likely after seeing some of the reviews here swaying my decision) opted for the other one. When coming around to take orders the FA noted that she wasn't sure how I did it but that I had somehow preordered both meals, and asked which I'd like.. Or if I wanted both, she could serve both on the tray for me. I opted for that so I could try them both. On another flight, one of the chicken dishes tasted like it had been marinated in bleach, so I asked the FA if I could swap to another entree and was told there were no spare meals available (or maybe he just wanted to eat one after service), so ymmv.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:40 pm

Interesting about the "accidentally" ordering two. Would be a nice surprise, sometimes the glitches in the matrix help us out. My guess is that they would only be likely to have extras on a flight that was less than half booked for F but more than just a couple people. I would probably be a little disappointed if the quality was as bad as you say that chicken was, but at the end of the day it comes down to what is there at the time and sometimes the day they are having. When it comes down to it, I am just ecstatic any time I get to fly, whether it's a Cessna 152 or when I've gotten to fly with an airline. My mother used to fly all the time for work, so she was just an "it's a necessary evil" sort of flyer. She thinks I just haven't flown enough yet, lol. My wife hasn't EVER flown before, so we will see what kind of flyer she is. Trying to get her to go up in a Piper Cherokee sometime before we go to AK though.
samosa and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
3/6/22 SFO-ORD, AS 1208, 11:00 AM depart

Morrocan Chicken, Autumn Squash Grain Bowl, or F&C.

So this was totally different than the other squash grain bowl I had twice in January with gouda and butternut squash. This one had goat cheese and green & yellow squash with veggies. I loved the previous squash bowl iteration but didn't enjoy this one. The Moroccan chicken didn't look great either, and I was cheesed out after cheese plate on AA F on the outbound and 2 cheese plates while drinking in SF yesterday.

Edit: now I see my mistake. The other one was the "Fall Grain Bowl" whereas this one is the "Autumn Squash Grain Bowl.' F me for getting these confused.

Carfield likes this.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Mar 6, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
3/6/22 SFO-ORD, AS 1208, 11:00 AM depart

Morrocan Chicken, Autumn Squash Grain Bowl, or F&C.

So this was totally different than the other squash grain bowl I had twice in January with gouda and butternut squash. This one had goat cheese and green & yellow squash with veggies. I loved the previous squash bowl iteration but didn't enjoy this one. The Moroccan chicken didn't look great either, and I was cheesed out after cheese plate on AA F on the outbound and 2 cheese plates while drinking in SF yesterday.

Edit: now I see my mistake. The other one was the "Fall Grain Bowl" whereas this one is the "Autumn Squash Grain Bowl.' F me for getting these confused.

I generally avoid any meal options that include the words "grain bowl".
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I generally avoid any meal options that include the words "grain bowl".
It sounds like something you'd offer to a horse after a nice trail ride.

The Grain Bowl was one of the choices on my EWR-SFO flight the other night, along with the Miso Pork Chops. Alas, pre-cooked white meat pork does not lend itself well to the ravages of the aircraft oven. Mine required some real elbow grease to saw through, after which I had to chew hard and snap my head back to get it down.

While the grain bowl might've at least been a tad moister than the pork, in both portion and preparation I think it is a poor entree choice for a six hour flight.

On that note, I remember flying United's First Class Red Carpet Service 50 years ago JFK-LAX.

OMG! How flying has changed! The United flight was aboard a 747. The seats were larger and better padded - much more comfortable! Cocktails were offered upon boarding. A large menu was presented. Drinks were served with Macadamia nuts. There were hors d'oeuvres and an appetizer. Salad was tossed and served from the trolley at your seat with a variety of warm breads and fresh ground pepper. There were four main courses, one of which was a roast carved and served seat side. There were a choice of two desserts - one of which was a fancy cake.

There were no grain bowls offered. If there were, it would have been an appetizer.

The fare - in today's money - was about seven to eight times more expensive than the $148 I paid EWR-SFO o/w with a complimentary upgrade.

Still, I do miss the grand old days of inflight service on U.S. domestic flights. It was amongst the finest inflight services in the world.

Sigh... Ya gets what ya pays for and on that note, it appears Alaska's offerings are better than most (Jet Blue's MINT being the current gold standard)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 6, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It sounds like something you'd offer to a horse after a nice trail ride.

The Grain Bowl was one of the choices on my EWR-SFO flight the other night, along with the Miso Pork Chops. Alas, pre-cooked white meat pork does not lend itself well to the ravages of the aircraft oven. Mine required some real elbow grease to saw through, after which I had to chew hard and snap my head back to get it down.

While the grain bowl might've at least been a tad moister than the pork, in both portion and preparation I think it is a poor entree choice for a six hour flight.

On that note, I remember flying United's First Class Red Carpet Service 50 years ago JFK-LAX.

OMG! How flying has changed! The United flight was aboard a 747. The seats were larger and better padded - much more comfortable! Cocktails were offered upon boarding. A large menu was presented. Drinks were served with Macadamia nuts. There were hors d'oeuvres and an appetizer. Salad was tossed and served from the trolley at your seat with a variety of warm breads and fresh ground pepper. There were four main courses, one of which was a roast carved and served seat side. There were a choice of two desserts - one of which was a fancy cake.

There were no grain bowls offered. If there were, it would have been an appetizer.

The fare - in today's money - was about seven to eight times more expensive than the $148 I paid EWR-SFO o/w with a complimentary upgrade.

Still, I do miss the grand old days of inflight service on U.S. domestic flights. It was amongst the finest inflight services in the world.

Sigh... Ya gets what ya pays for and on that note, it appears Alaska's offerings are better than most (Jet Blue's MINT being the current gold standard)
If they are so committed to bowls...here are my suggestions:

Buffalo chicken mac and cheese bowl
Teriyaki chicken with fried rice bowl
Penne pasta with garlic alfredo bowl (with or without bacon bits depending on vegetarian requests)
Vegetarian black bean burrito bowl with guacamole
pcoll likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
SFO-HNL

Kalbi Short Ribs
Sous vide short rib with kalbi marinade, served butter and herb basmati rice, and roasted pacific island vegetables

HNL-SFO

Pineapple Teriyaki Pork Chop
Roasted pineapple teriyaki-marinated pork loin, served with island roasted vegetables, mashed sweet potato, roasted cherry tomatoes, and topped with a teriyaki glaze

The Pineapple Teriyaki Pork Chop was really delicious. I was already in a good mood having been served a Cruzan rum and orange juice.

After dinner a Glenfarclas 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky. It was a very nice flight!

Eastbay1K and Carfield like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.