Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econ
It's bad enough on the UA forum where it could also be Premier Platinum, Premium Plus, or PlusPoints.
That is Profoundly Perturbing! 😆

James
econ likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I'm very far from requalifying for AS status but fly LAS- East coast on AA a lot. I guess I will spring for Expert Flyer and figure that out but in the meantime how can I figure out how to fly AA econ in class I get 100% or close miles? Can I just call AA and ask the price in those fare classes? Is there any reason to pay more for these classes besides the EQM miles? Thx
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I'm very far from requalifying for AS status but fly LAS- East coast on AA a lot. I guess I will spring for Expert Flyer and figure that out but in the meantime how can I figure out how to fly AA econ in class I get 100% or close miles? Can I just call AA and ask the price in those fare classes? Is there any reason to pay more for these classes besides the EQM miles? Thx
You likely won't like the AA fares that earn 100% EQM for your routes. Higher Main fares classes will often be more expensive than discount F fares. Non-stop flights will usually be a premium over multi-segment routes. You can often find cheaper fares on AA by backtracking through LAX.

You can use ITA Matrix Matrix - ITA Software by Google to force faring to your desired booking class (one that earns 100% EQM on AA - H, K, L, M, Y)

Click on "advanced controls" and in the faring control under the origin & destination airports enter " F aa..; f bc=h | bc=k | bc=l | bc=m | bc=y" without the quotes) to search for AA fare classes that earn 100% EQM. f aa.. limits the search to AA fares, the rest to AA 100% EQM earning fares. While H is lower than K in the fare class hierarchy, it isn't necessarily the lowest fare.

A quick look at LAS-JFK for next Saturday.

Basic Economy $173 with a connection, books into B class (0%) - definite no go! Earns zero in Mileagle Plan
Economy $203 with a connection, books into O class (25%) ($30 Elite Tax...)
Economy $344 daytime non-stop, books into K class (100%)

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 17, 2022 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You likely won't like the AA fares that earn 100% EQM for your routes. Higher Main fares classes will often be more expensive than discount F fares. Non-stop flights will usually be a premium over multi-segment routes. You can often find cheaper fares on AA by backtracking through LAX.

You can use ITA Matrix Matrix - ITA Software by Google to force faring to your desired booking class (one that earns 100% EQM on AA - H, K, L, M, Y)

Click on "advanced controls" and in the faring control under the origin & destination airports enter " F aa..; f bc=h | bc=k | bc=l | bc=m | bc=y" without the quotes) to search for AA fare classes that earn 100% EQM. f aa.. limits the search to AA fares, the rest to AA 100% EQM earning fares. While H is lower than K in the fare class hierarchy, it isn't necessarily the lowest fare.

Super helpful as always. Thank you . Will get to fiddling with it.

A quick look at LAS-JFK for next Saturday.

Basic Economy $173 with a connection, books into B class (0%) - definite no go! Earns zero in Mileagle Plan
Economy $203 with a connection, books into O class (25%) ($30 Elite Tax...)
Economy $344 daytime non-stop, books into K class (100%)

James
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Hi All
I’m flying into SEA with AS arriving at 0645 and departing with BA at 1330. Ideally I’d like to go into Seattle for a bite before the BA flight. I’ve heard that the security queues are long between 0800 and 1200.
1. Is this doable?
2. I’m flying in J. Would this make a difference at security?
Many thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Hi All
I’m flying into SEA with AS arriving at 0645 and departing with BA at 1330. Ideally I’d like to go into Seattle for a bite before the BA flight. I’ve heard that the security queues are long between 0800 and 1200.
1. Is this doable?
2. I’m flying in J. Would this make a difference at security?
Many thanks!
Are you flying from a US airport? If so, there is no need to reclear security and you will have plenty of time to eat and rest in the N lounge or the Gallies lounge (the Gallies lounge at SEA, imo, is not that good, I would go to N AS lounge)
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Are you flying from a US airport? If so, there is no need to reclear security and you will have plenty of time to eat and rest in the N lounge or the Gallies lounge (the Gallies lounge at SEA, imo, is not that good, I would go to N AS lounge)
Yes but srbrenna would have to if they left the airport as they indicated.

Assuming you arrive on time into SEA, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you'd like to go downtown then I suggest using the light rail, though you'll only have a couple of hours downtown. Give an hour each way, plus two at the airport in case the security line is long, and that still leaves you with 2 hours to enjoy. I'm not sure if I would find that worthwhile, but if there was a specific place I wanted to visit then I would certainly consider it.

Sadly your layover is on the early side to really enjoy some of the places near the airport.

-J.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:27 pm

Thank you all. Originally I was on the AA flight that was a bit later but that got canned so I’d have had a bit more time. I just wanted to have a bit of brekker out of the airport and don’t mind that it’ll be quick. It’s just that the security queue is of concern. I was hoping that flying business would make it quicker but given the choice of a couple of hours in a queue or a couple of hours in a lounge it’s not a difficult decision!
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Thank you all. Originally I was on the AA flight that was a bit later but that got canned so I’d have had a bit more time. I just wanted to have a bit of brekker out of the airport and don’t mind that it’ll be quick. It’s just that the security queue is of concern. I was hoping that flying business would make it quicker but given the choice of a couple of hours in a queue or a couple of hours in a lounge it’s not a difficult decision!
It could be quicker depending on whether you have PreCheck and the weekday of the flights. Fri-Mon might prove to be difficult. All that aside, your timing might be off for making it worth your while. Just looking at the timing, Arr 06:45 SEA, Dep 07:30 SeaTac LightRail Station, Arr 08:30 Westlake Station (Downtown), Dep 10:45 Westlake Station, Arr 11:30 SeaTac Light Rail Station, sometime between 11:45 and 12:30 Clear Security. So, between 08:30 and 10:45 there will be limited dining options at that time of day. Pike Place is the obvious choice. Another option is to take the LightRail one more station up to Capital Hill Station. Very different than the typical tourist traffic downtown. A third option would be to take the Light Rail to Columbia City, eight stops before downtown. It's closer to the airport giving you an additional 15-20 minutes each direction, and an interesting neighborhood. In all cases, expect to find bakeries and local coffee roasters as the probable dining destinations.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Is anyone here familiar with the Reno-Tahoe International airport? I recently relocated to Reno/Tahoe and it will be my new home airport. I have CLEAR, which always allowed me to sail through security at SEA, but it isn't an option here. I plan to get TSA precheck but I need to order an old marriage certificate and assemble my documents first. In the meantime, I've got several trips coming up starting on Monday. Does anyone know if there are special security lanes for AS elite in Reno/Tahoe like they have in SEA?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:11 pm

Thank you all again. I’ll enjoy the time in the lounges. I might even try a few of them!
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
Is anyone here familiar with the Reno-Tahoe International airport? I recently relocated to Reno/Tahoe and it will be my new home airport. I have CLEAR, which always allowed me to sail through security at SEA, but it isn't an option here. I plan to get TSA precheck but I need to order an old marriage certificate and assemble my documents first. In the meantime, I've got several trips coming up starting on Monday. Does anyone know if there are special security lanes for AS elite in Reno/Tahoe like they have in SEA?
Just in case it's helpful to anyone else, I sent in a question through the contact form for the airport website and received a response that the priority/first class security lanes are open to qualifying passengers on any airline.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:28 am

50k mile credit card offer

Thinking about signing up for the Alaska card. Is the 50k mile offer good or will it go higher if I wait?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by suzyfly
Thinking about signing up for the Alaska card. Is the 50k mile offer good or will it go higher if I wait?
Unlikely since within the last year it dropped from 60K down to 40K (and apparently back up to 50K). The best deals have historically been offered in-flight but usually only by a few thousand miles. The bonus miles are great but there's not much other reason to get the card. It's 3X on AS purchases but just a straight 1% on everything else. Pretty "ho-hum" as far as travel cards go. I can get 3X on all travel (not just AS) along with redemption bonuses and lots of other perks with different cards. Although I have to hand it to AS/BofA as I see a ton of people using the AS card so whatever they are doing is working. There is a lot of discussion elsewhere on FT and even a dedicated thread to the card that is worth checking out.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Unlikely since within the last year it dropped from 60K down to 40K (and apparently back up to 50K). The best deals have historically been offered in-flight but usually only by a few thousand miles. The bonus miles are great but there's not much other reason to get the card. It's 3X on AS purchases but just a straight 1% on everything else. Pretty "ho-hum" as far as travel cards go. I can get 3X on all travel (not just AS) along with redemption bonuses and lots of other perks with different cards. Although I have to hand it to AS/BofA as I see a ton of people using the AS card so whatever they are doing is working. There is a lot of discussion elsewhere on FT and even a dedicated thread to the card that is worth checking out.
thank you for the help! New to flyertalk so this is very helpful
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.