Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
What fare class do tickets purchased with Alaska miles book into?

I thought I knew, but a recent mileage purchase booked into N and as an MVPG I was able to select Premium class seats during the booking process. Will I earn miles?
No miles earned on flights paid with miles. I'm not sure about fare class for award tickets (it may be it's own class). As MVPG I don't think you should have been able to book directly into PC unless you were in the normal upgrade window (T-48hr?) but it's definitely not far outside of the norm for there to be some IT glitch.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
No miles earned on flights paid with miles. I'm not sure about fare class for award tickets (it may be it's own class). As MVPG I don't think you should have been able to book directly into PC unless you were in the normal upgrade window (T-48hr?) but it's definitely not far outside of the norm for there to be some IT glitch.
MVPG can book directly into PC on N fares or higher. Even MVP can book directly into PC, for free, but only on Y, B, or H fares. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades

To answer the previous question, award travel on AS does not have a dedicated fare class. Award travel on AS is dynamic and depends on available fare inventory, just like paying cash does.

When you book award travel on AS, you book into the same fare classes that are used as when you pay with cash, and the price of your ticket in miles depends on the city pair and fare class chosen just like a cash ticket. The AS checkout flow for either cash or miles will also show you the cost for that fare class in the other form of payment, as well as some miles+cash options. Just note that if *any* miles are used, it's considered award travel and illegible for earning.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:10 pm

Is it common that Alaska disables or changes the fare if you are booking for more than 1?

I saw a fare of $129 when looking at saver for a route, but when I increased the passengers to 2 it disappeared. And so I booked one person, and then booked another person, both at the $129 rate.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is it common that Alaska disables or changes the fare if you are booking for more than 1?

I saw a fare of $129 when looking at saver for a route, but when I increased the passengers to 2 it disappeared. And so I booked one person, and then booked another person, both at the $129 rate.
this is common with all airlines. They have limited fare buckets.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by samosa
And what it also implies is that the system immediately reopens that bucket once the first ticket is sold. So, in a way, there are more seats, but it only doles them out in groups of one. I've seen this with award seats, too, and have snagged multiple lowest-tier award seats the same way.
samosa and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Not sure if this is the forum so move/strike if not but I have two AA upgrades, have flown little this year and would love some kind of mileage accruing trip to use them and rack up miles. Maybe buy PE or whatever the strategy for most AS miles. I can literally go anywhere for any length of time . Would appreciate any guidance.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by czpdx
And what it also implies is that the system immediately reopens that bucket once the first ticket is sold. So, in a way, there are more seats, but it only doles them out in groups of one. I've seen this with award seats, too, and have snagged multiple lowest-tier award seats the same way.
The point is they do not have limited buckets.
I mean, on Delta you can book the lowest one and when you try to do the next the fare goes up. Whereas somehow on AS they put another fare in the bucket.
But I also see a disconnect cause main fares and saver seem to have no correlation, as in saver is still there when main has gone up tremendously. And sometimes main is cheap but saver is gone. But this time after I booked up the savers the main fare went up.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Is it worth up-faring my ticket to B or Y less then 48 hours but more then 24 hours before departure to try to stay in #1 position for 1 seat? Afraid it will reset my date stamp on the UG list. I'm 100k but just don't want to sit in the middle seat i have right now. F is $1499. Which I might do, but Y is only $800 ish.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer;[url=tel:34580304
34580304[/url]]Is it worth up-faring my ticket to B or Y less then 48 hours but more then 24 hours before departure to try to stay in #1 position for 1 seat? Afraid it will reset my date stamp on the UG list. I'm 100k but just don't want to sit in the middle seat i have right now. F is $1499. Which I might do, but Y is only $800 ish.

Upfaring should not reset your WL position.

Have you checked the WL already? If you’re #1 no need to give AS more $$.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by anteater
Upfaring should not reset your WL position.

Have you checked the WL already? If you’re #1 no need to give AS more $$.
I'm still T-30 so I don't think i can see the list yet. I don't usually sweat this kind of stuff but its been a long time since i've been in a middle seat in coach
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
I'm still T-30 so I don't think i can see the list yet. I don't usually sweat this kind of stuff but its been a long time since i've been in a middle seat in coach
You can see the waitlist ahead of time here: https://www.alaskaair.com/flightstatus
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
I have an upcoming flight and I noticed that the aircraft has been performing quite a few flights numbered in the 7000 flight range, eg today operating as AS7006 SEA-JNU-ANC. The flight doesn't show up in the schedule search and doesn't seem to be bookable.

I'm curious. Are these cruise-related charters? Some kind of test or training flights? Cargo flights (it's a passenger aircraft based on the aircraft info on Flightaware.

ETA: Here is a link the shows the flights performed by N306AS N306AS Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware Currently operating AS7006. Yesterday it flew AS7096 ANC-JNU-CDV-SEA
samosa likes this.

Last edited by seacarl; Sep 7, 2022 at 11:57 am
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by seacarl
I have an upcoming flight and I noticed that the aircraft has been performing quite a few flights numbered in the 7000 flight range, eg today operating as AS7006 SEA-JNU-ANC. The flight doesn't show up in the schedule search and doesn't seem to be bookable.

I'm curious. Are these cruise-related charters? Some kind of test or training flights? Cargo flights (it's a passenger aircraft based on the aircraft info on Flightaware.
seatmap looks empty. Could it be a ferry flight? However doesn’t explain the stops.
https://www.alaskaair.com/status/7006/2022-09-07
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
seatmap looks empty. Could it be a ferry flight? However doesn’t explain the stops.
https://www.alaskaair.com/status/7006/2022-09-07
Right? I can't figure it out. Not on the schedule, can't be booked, empty seat map, flights in that number range multiple days this week on the same aircraft. Seems a bit odd. Check out the link for the aircraft: N306AS Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
ASA 7xxx flight numbers are Alaska Air Cargo. 7006, specifically, is the cargo milkrun.

https://www.alaskacargo.com/shipping/freighter-schedule

Perhaps they're just cycling a passenger airframe through the cargo run since one of the -700 freighters is in OKC for mx (per the fleet status page).
samosa and anteater like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.