Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bman1002
How many drinks can one expect when flying Premium Class transcon (SFO to IAD)?
Probably 2-3 drink carts, though you can always walk to the galley and ask for more (assuming they don't decide you've had enough )
mildfrequence and bman1002 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:27 pm

I am working on booking flights back from Bangkok for next summer, with a stopover in Tokyo. The BKK-TYO flights for the dates I want are released, but TYO-SEA are not yet out. I was wondering if it is possible to book BKK-TYO now, then to call in and add the TYO-SEA leg to that booking? Does anyone know if they could add it to the same booking so it would cost the regular stopover amount (65k miles I n business for BKK-TYO-SEA) or if they’d charge full price (25k plus 60k miles)?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:33 am

Is there anything that will give me the functionality of the old "low-price guarantee" part of the website?

I have a round-trip booked that had the outbound price go up and the return go down. All I could figure out how to do was change the return leg to something else and then change the return leg again back to my original flight, which opens the possibility for availability vanishing mid-change. (The "change my flight" search functional oh-so-helpfully doesn't show the original flight.)

Other ideas:
  • I could cancel and rebook the whole itinerary, which would be fine if both segments had gotten cheaper but isn't so useful here.
  • I could ditch the return leg only and rebook, which afaik splits the ticket between PNRs, which seems not ideal because if they mess with one of my flights I want them to change the other one without an argument.
Any other ideas?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by glitchy
Is there anything that will give me the functionality of the old "low-price guarantee" part of the website?

I have a round-trip booked that had the outbound price go up and the return go down. All I could figure out how to do was change the return leg to something else and then change the return leg again back to my original flight, which opens the possibility for availability vanishing mid-change. (The "change my flight" search functional oh-so-helpfully doesn't show the original flight.)

Other ideas:
  • I could cancel and rebook the whole itinerary, which would be fine if both segments had gotten cheaper but isn't so useful here.
  • I could ditch the return leg only and rebook, which afaik splits the ticket between PNRs, which seems not ideal because if they mess with one of my flights I want them to change the other one without an argument.
Any other ideas?
if you change the flight and click lowest available, does it not show the same itinerary with a lower fare class?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by bman1002
How many drinks can one expect when flying Premium Class transcon (SFO to IAD)?
Hopefully two. However, ORD-SFO yesterday, 4:10 from takeoff to touchdown, we received one drink cart service. There was light chop for 30 min over the Rockies, but was otherwise a totally smooth flight. Normally, I thought midcons or longer got two cart services?
bman1002 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I am MVP Gold. My spouse is MVP.
1) If we book a simple one-way economy alaska metal flight Seattle-Anchorage direct, leaving at 7am, *using american airline miles* (and put our alaska-status in the reservation) - 24 hours in advance will we be allowed to do a same-day-change to a flight later in the day (if seats are available)? Will I have to pay a change fee even if I'm mvp gold, since this is bought using aa miles? I assume my spouse as mvp will have to pay a change fee even though he is on same reservation?

2) What if i use alaska miles to book XXX-SEA (stopover, fly this segment) SEA-ANC on the same 7am flight. Since I have already flown the first segment on this alaska-award-mileage flight, are there any issues doing a same-day-change to a later flight (if seats available)? I assume here since i'm using my mvp-gold miles, i don't have to pay anything for same-day-change?

I understand this will be simpler if i used alaska miles, but in this case for some reason the aa mileage cost is very favorable (its not a web-special/basic, just a standard award). And if i do an alaska mileage cost i'd like to bake in a stopover to get some use out of ity is
1) I believe a workaround for this would be to use your AA miles to book, but instead of booking as "you" as one of the travelers, create a new passenger profile that is you, but with your AS MP# listed instead. Then the miles come out of your AA, but are booked for you as an MVPG.. The SDC policy page indicates "The same day confirmed change fee is waived for MVP® Gold, MVP Gold 75K and MVP Gold 100K Mileage Plan™ members and American AAdvantage® ConciergeKey, Executive Platinum, and Platinum Pro members. The fee is also waived for those traveling in the same reservation." It does not indicate the booking must be purchased with AS to qualify for SDC, but I'm not sure whether it being issued by AA would lead to any headaches in making the change.

2) Flying one segment on a reservation doesn't prevent you from SDCing on a later segment as far as I am aware. You'd be eligible for SDC (along w/ your companion) as an MVPG regardless if cash fare or award.
nomiiiii likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by samosa
if you change the flight and click lowest available, does it not show the same itinerary with a lower fare class?
Nope, it leaves out the original flight entirely, even if I ask for a different fare category that's available on my original flight. (So I also can't upgrade to 1st, which is something I'd have thought Alaska would want to support!)

I did get my credit just now by doing two changes in a row, and once I switched to another flight all of these options showed up for switching back to my original flight, so there definitely wasn't some subtle availability problem.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:54 am

The Qantas website regarding access to their lounges says:
  • Alaska Airlines' top tier frequent flyers with Alaska Mileage Plan™ MVP Gold and above, and Alaska Lounge members, have access to all 13 Qantas operated International Business and 24 Domestic Qantas Club lounges when they travel on a Qantas operated international or domestic flights.
I have Gold 75 / OneWorld Emerald so I thought I could sail into the LAX lounge, even with a Premium Economy from LAX to Melborne. Is that not the case? I might have interpreted the rules wrong.

Edit: two posts in the last decade? I must be the ultimate lurker.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by glitchy
Nope, it leaves out the original flight entirely, even if I ask for a different fare category that's available on my original flight. (So I also can't upgrade to 1st, which is something I'd have thought Alaska would want to support!)

I did get my credit just now by doing two changes in a row, and once I switched to another flight all of these options showed up for switching back to my original flight, so there definitely wasn't some subtle availability problem.
Yeah, that's what I always do. Change, then change back. The current flight never shows up in the Change Flight flow.
samosa and glitchy like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Flew Horizon in F yesterday, 70 minute flight.

AS sent me an email asking me how their service was. I haven’t flown often enough recently to know what the service standard is. We received a beverage serving, but no snacks or edible item of any kind. Not sure what they did in coach; I didn’t glance behind the curtain.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:48 pm

has anyone been successful in getting AS to open up space on AA metal after the AS flight is cancelled (rev fare)?

same origin and destination, similar flight dep/arr time too.

AS claim they cant do that and it was not available as a choice. however, there is an option to arrive to same destination using AA metal if i am willing to make a stop at another city (ie. AS first leg, AA second leg)
samosa likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:17 pm

Probably know the unfortunate answer to this, but curious if anyone has had any luck with a similar scenario:

I got lucky and snagged Qatar SEA-DOH-Maldives at the low business saver 85k, and am seeing that close in (about a month out) that Qatar is frequently releasing true F class (these are on borrowed Cathay planes). The individual DOH-MLE leg is 40k business and 60k first class so only 20k points difference, but of course if you price it to the US it goes from 85k to 150k for that short F leg paired with the usual J. Literally it’s cheaper to book these as separate legs (145k points), let alone only a 20k point difference if it was ‘just’ the short DOH-MLE leg.

So I guess the obvious question is, has anyone ever had luck upgrading a single short leg but not paying the extravagant whole itinerary cost?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
SEA N to S gates

What's the easiest way to get from N terminal to S terminal while pushing someone in a wheelchair? Does the Yellow line connect the two?

Same question but for someone just walking.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
What's the easiest way to get from N terminal to S terminal while pushing someone in a wheelchair? Does the Yellow line connect the two?

Same question but for someone just walking.
You'd take the North loop (green line) from N to D, the shuttle train (yellow line) from D to A, then the south loop (blue line) from A to S.

If I were walking I'd do the same thing, just probably take the escalator rather than elevator at the N and S terminals.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by remyjette
You'd take the North loop (green line) from N to D, the shuttle train (yellow line) from D to A, then the south loop (blue line) from A to S.

If I were walking I'd do the same thing, just probably take the escalator rather than elevator at the N and S terminals.
Thanks, that sounds easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.